Reload this Page >

So glad we decided to come home

So glad we decided to come home

Old May 19th 2005, 9:11 am
Just Joined

mandy smith is an unknown quantity at this point
Default So glad we decided to come home

Hello everyone,
I thought id share our experience of Australia and the reasons we returned after just three months,
Both myself and my husband had been to Australia five times before emigrating to Perth in August 2004,we thought it was the perfect place for us,we decided on Perth as we had friends there and the property is alot cheaper there.It took two long years to get the visa and about 4 weeks to find out we had done the wrong thing.
We both found it difficult to find work but evenually did but we were both on very low wages.we had rented our dream house and was apparantly living the dream.the thing is it just didnt feel quite right,we would have good days then have a period of feeling terrible,i think the feeling that this was forever hit us,and we started to appreciate the life we had in the UK.we were use to good paid jobs,the freedom of European travel that was cheap.familiarity of your surroundings and the simple fact that we didnt stand out.
It sounds like we were just moaning but if your heart is not into it what can you do but return to what you know and to make sure that you dont take your life with friends and family for granted again.
I dont regreat trying the Oz experience and i still love the country dearly and hope to holiday there again,but since coming back to blighty im alot more content and its proved to us that grass is not always greener on the other side of the world.
I wish everyone the best of luck in all they choose to do with their lives.

mandy and lance
Old May 19th 2005, 11:51 am
Forum Regular

kath n kim has a spectacular aura aboutkath n kim has a spectacular aura aboutkath n kim has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: So glad we decided to come home

Originally Posted by mandy smith
Hello everyone,
I thought id share our experience of Australia and the reasons we returned after just three months,
Both myself and my husband had been to Australia five times before emigrating to Perth in August 2004,we thought it was the perfect place for us,we decided on Perth as we had friends there and the property is alot cheaper there.It took two long years to get the visa and about 4 weeks to find out we had done the wrong thing.
We both found it difficult to find work but evenually did but we were both on very low wages.we had rented our dream house and was apparantly living the dream.the thing is it just didnt feel quite right,we would have good days then have a period of feeling terrible,i think the feeling that this was forever hit us,and we started to appreciate the life we had in the UK.we were use to good paid jobs,the freedom of European travel that was cheap.familiarity of your surroundings and the simple fact that we didnt stand out.
It sounds like we were just moaning but if your heart is not into it what can you do but return to what you know and to make sure that you dont take your life with friends and family for granted again.
I dont regreat trying the Oz experience and i still love the country dearly and hope to holiday there again,but since coming back to blighty im alot more content and its proved to us that grass is not always greener on the other side of the world.

mandy and lance
Hi Mandy, thanks for sharing your experiences and feelings with everybody. It's good for people to hear different views from people who have been there and done it. Sometimes it takes living in a place before you realise you don't really want to be there. (An expensive way to learn.....as I've found out ..but a valuable lesson nonetheless!) Glad to hear you've settled back into life in the U.K alright and are now happy.
Old May 19th 2005, 11:56 am
Just Joined

karen011258 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by kath n kim
Hi Mandy, thanks for sharing your experiences and feelings with everybody. It's good for people to hear different views from people who have been there and done it. Sometimes it takes living in a place before you realise you don't really want to be there. (An expensive way to learn.....as I've found out ..but a valuable lesson nonetheless!) Glad to hear you've settled back into life in the U.K alright and are now happy.
Hi, I guess I am on the other end of what you were saying. I am an Aussie and want to go back home to Aus. I too miss my family and all that is familiar. England and me just don't work. My hubby thankgoodness wants to live in Aus and so we are hopefully going to make the move. I do know how hard it is to be the otherside of the world from home. I share your thoughts greatly!!
Old May 19th 2005, 1:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really nice

Hello everyone,

mandy and lance
Thanks Mandy,

very interested to hear your experience as we are going without visiting but our feelings were that on a holiday we would not get a real feel for life there.

Be happy
Chris
Old May 19th 2005, 2:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: UK 2 Oz, Oz 2 UK, Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt!
scrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nice

Glad to hear you are happy to be back. Now you can get on and get you life in some sort of order

Welcome home

Mandy
Old May 19th 2005, 2:20 pm
Banned

Location: from Shepherds Bush to Aussie Bush. Well not quite - Mountain Creek, Sunshine Coast
jc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to all

Hello everyone,

mandy and lance
Welcome home, but I can't see how you can say you have "experienced Aus" in four weeks
Old May 19th 2005, 2:27 pm
Just Joined

mandy smith is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jc_hoops
Welcome home, but I can't see how you can say you have "experienced Aus" in four weeks
Hi again,

I didnt say that i had experienced Oz in Only four weeks i said i knew in our heart of hearts we had made a mistake,i had been to Australia alot of times and stayed there over eight months previously on a working holiday visa,but knowing you are there on a permanent basis is a different matter.

Everyone is different at the end of the day and somethings you just know.
Old May 19th 2005, 2:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

Good for you Mandy. There will be some that question how long you gave it, but I think you know in your heart what is right and wrong. Many people stay longer just to give it more time but they end up returning anyway saying it still didnt get any better...why put yourself through that. Not only that the longer you stay anywhere the harder it is to fit in when you get home, financially and emotionally.
Old May 19th 2005, 2:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chris Mitchell
Thanks Mandy,

very interested to hear your experience as we are going without visiting but our feelings were that on a holiday we would not get a real feel for life there.

Be happy
Chris
Your probably right there Chris. No holiday can prepare you for the realities of living in a Country. Just keep an open mind and dont expect everything to be prefect and you will have a more realistic expectation of what it will be like.
Old May 19th 2005, 5:00 pm
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karen011258
Hi, I guess I am on the other end of what you were saying. I am an Aussie and want to go back home to Aus. I too miss my family and all that is familiar. England and me just don't work. My hubby thankgoodness wants to live in Aus and so we are hopefully going to make the move. I do know how hard it is to be the otherside of the world from home. I share your thoughts greatly!!

Hi Karen

It must be very hard for you but just think you will soon be home. One of my aussie mates came here with her hubby and 3 kids she found it very hard at first but now 1yr on is ok. She still has bad days and then good ones.She will be going back to Oz in early 2006 and even now worries how she will settle back into Aussie life. The slower pace etc...she has been to more places here and in Europe in the last yr than I have in my lifetime here...good for her.!!I will miss her dearly...

When do you hope to return and what part are you heading home too?

Cheers
P
Old May 19th 2005, 5:43 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pants
Hi Karen

It must be very hard for you but just think you will soon be home. One of my aussie mates came here with her hubby and 3 kids she found it very hard at first but now 1yr on is ok. She still has bad days and then good ones.She will be going back to Oz in early 2006 and even now worries how she will settle back into Aussie life. The slower pace etc...she has been to more places here and in Europe in the last yr than I have in my lifetime here...good for her.!!I will miss her dearly...

When do you hope to return and what part are you heading home too?

Cheers
P
Hi, well to reply to your question..... when do we hope to return to Aus? I hope to retur as soon as we can, but we have to get a spouse visa for my hubby, who is English. We are having problems as we have been told he needs an AOS as I am not working and so cannot show how I could support him in Aus. I come from Victoria and all my family are there, including my 3 kids. I am very homesick and just want to go home. Why they just won't let hubby in without all the red tape, I have no idea. Why is life so hard!!!!
Old May 19th 2005, 5:56 pm
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karen011258
Hi, well to reply to your question..... when do we hope to return to Aus? I hope to retur as soon as we can, but we have to get a spouse visa for my hubby, who is English. We are having problems as we have been told he needs an AOS as I am not working and so cannot show how I could support him in Aus. I come from Victoria and all my family are there, including my 3 kids. I am very homesick and just want to go home. Why they just won't let hubby in without all the red tape, I have no idea. Why is life so hard!!!!

Tough I know....sorry what is an AOS?Can you not apply for it once you are in Australia?

Last edited by Pants; May 19th 2005 at 6:01 pm.
Old May 19th 2005, 6:23 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pants
Tough I know....sorry what is an AOS?Can you not apply for it once you are in Australia?
Hi again, an AOS is an Assurance of Support and it is asked for by immigraton before they will issue a spouse visa for my hubby. It is a protection for the Aus government, if they feel your circumstances mean you may be a social services user in Aus. They ask you to get an Aussie citizen to act as an Assurer for the visa applicant. We can't get anyone in Aus to do it for us, so as you can imagine, are not very happy at the moment.
Old May 19th 2005, 7:07 pm
Came Back 2003

heading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really nice

Hello everyone,

mandy and lance
Hi Mandy & Lance,

Like you I knew within about 4 weeks that I wasn't going to stay whatever, I just knew deep down. We stayed 6 months with the decision to return being made after about 2 and all I can say is I counted every day and it didn't get any better. Our lives now are so much better and going to Oz has made that happen. I now want the simple things in life and I am totally contented with my life, before I was always looking for the next thing (ie new job, migrating etc), it cost us a lot of money but to get that out of my system it was worth every penny.

Everyone is different and I am so pleased for people when it works out for them they are so lucky, but it is best to have tried and it not work than spend your whole lives wondering "what if".

Susan
Old May 19th 2005, 10:26 pm

MrsB is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello everyone,

mandy and lance
Thanks for your post. It does help those of us here in similar situations enormously, to see that this is not for everybody.

You did what you felt was right. Only you can decide what's right for you. I too would have done the same, but I have 3 other people to consider, so am here for another 1.5-2 years at least. I KNOW that this is not for me, no matter how long I stay here, it isn't going to bring my family and my kids grandparents any nearer, it isn't going to bring Europe any closer. So here I stay.........

good luck and I hope it all works out at home!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.