British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   So it begins....... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/so-begins-926224/)

fastrhino Jul 5th 2019 2:43 am

So it begins.......

I have taken the first step in returning to the UK by lodging my ToR.

Other steps I have taken are to open an account with TORFX for the transfer of funds, apply for new UK driving licence and photo card and still getting shipping quotes and flights for my pets.

I will arrive in the UK in August for a two week holiday and to open a bank account and start looking for a home and car.

It is starting to get real :ohmy:

zdenka Jul 5th 2019 3:34 am

Re: So it begins.......

Isn't that the crazy part? At one point it's just an idea and next thing you know you are looking at moving quotes and flights online. I remember it all happened so fast when I was moving to Canada and now I am slowly but surely preparing for the move back. Good luck! :)

UkWinds5353 Jul 5th 2019 5:14 am

Don't have any advice just want to wish you well, and good on you for going after your goals. All the best!

durham_lad Jul 5th 2019 5:34 pm

Good luck with the move back. We didn’t renew our UK licence until after we got back as we didn’t have a UK address until we moved. It wasn’t a problem at all.

leebee15 Jul 8th 2019 12:40 am

Hi Durham lad
I am on the same journey as you and at the same stages too. Had packing boxes delivered on Friday so now comes the difficult part. Have to try to be ruthless and not take back unnecessary things that cost more to ship than to buy, ie mainly electrical items. Taking my dog , so expensive compared to everything else!
Just about to complete TOR form for Personal effects. Hope to move mid/late August but not confirmed dates yet. Big decision to go back after 25 years in Oz. As you say, now it seems real. Very mixed emotions but think I will be OK. Miss so many things about living in UK, will have more family support, but will certainly miss the beautiful Australian weather and wide open spaces. How about you? Hope all goes smoothly for you.

durham_lad Jul 8th 2019 6:27 am

Originally Posted by leebee15 (Post 12707813)
Hi Durham lad
I am on the same journey as you and at the same stages too. Had packing boxes delivered on Friday so now comes the difficult part. Have to try to be ruthless and not take back unnecessary things that cost more to ship than to buy, ie mainly electrical items. Taking my dog , so expensive compared to everything else!
Just about to complete TOR form for Personal effects. Hope to move mid/late August but not confirmed dates yet. Big decision to go back after 25 years in Oz. As you say, now it seems real. Very mixed emotions but think I will be OK. Miss so many things about living in UK, will have more family support, but will certainly miss the beautiful Australian weather and wide open spaces. How about you? Hope all goes smoothly for you.

Thanks for asking. We have now been back 3 years and still loving it. Weather isn’t everything and being back among friends and relatives is really good. We also love being able to walk everywhere, our car hardly leaves the garage.