Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Small Amount to return...advice please

Small Amount to return...advice please

Old Jun 17th 2007, 10:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

LIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond repute
Default Small Amount to return...advice please

Has anyone taken back a small amount by air freight and if so, how much and who did you use.

Any advice would be lovely, thankyou

LibbyX
Old Jun 18th 2007, 12:27 pm
Former Floridian

katesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Small Amount to return...advice please

Originally Posted by LIBBY
Has anyone taken back a small amount by air freight and if so, how much and who did you use.

LibbyX
I'm interested in responses to this post also.
Old Jun 18th 2007, 2:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

mick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LIBBY

LibbyX
I'll be keeping an eye on this thread as well if you don't mind Libby. Trying to see whats going to be the best option for taking things back.

Lynne
Old Jun 18th 2007, 4:09 pm
Forum Regular

Norm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to all

To be honest it was 8 years ago and I can't really recall the actual cost. We had 18 boxes flown from England to the USA. I did all the packing and it was about 1500 GBP's. However a lot of items were broken when they arrived and I don't feel my items were handled with great care at all. We are container shipping this time round and to be honest I wish we had of done it the other way now. I think my items would have reached me in much better condition if I had done that.
Old Jun 18th 2007, 4:29 pm
Former Floridian

katesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm71
To be honest it was 8 years ago and I can't really recall the actual cost. We had 18 boxes flown from England to the USA. I did all the packing and it was about 1500 GBP's. However a lot of items were broken when they arrived and I don't feel my items were handled with great care at all. We are container shipping this time round and to be honest I wish we had of done it the other way now. I think my items would have reached me in much better condition if I had done that.
To add to this thread, as I'm sure someone else but me will be interested, how does the shared container thing work? I'd thought about it, but I'd be so scared that someone will pinch some of my stuff while they're unloading theirs, or something will get damaged, etc. How do you deal with that, if it does in fact come up? I'm assuming you would HAVE to purchase the insurance beforehand?
Old Jun 18th 2007, 5:16 pm
Forum Regular

Norm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to all

We aren't doing a shared container. But from what I have been told the only real problem is it may take longer for your stuff to arrive. This is because they will wait to fill the container. Also if there is any issues at customs your things could get caught up with someone elses. I am not sure of the cost involved with a shared container. The cost for us door to door. Them packing and semi unpacking and insurance is approx $7,000. It is a lot to pay, however replacement cost for our items is much higher. That is why we chose to do it this way. I have a guy from Mayflower coming round this afternoon so I will ask him what costs are involved and what issues can come up with a shared container.
Old Jun 19th 2007, 5:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm71
We aren't doing a shared container. But from what I have been told the only real problem is it may take longer for your stuff to arrive. This is because they will wait to fill the container. Also if there is any issues at customs your things could get caught up with someone elses. I am not sure of the cost involved with a shared container. The cost for us door to door. Them packing and semi unpacking and insurance is approx $7,000. It is a lot to pay, however replacement cost for our items is much higher. That is why we chose to do it this way. I have a guy from Mayflower coming round this afternoon so I will ask him what costs are involved and what issues can come up with a shared container.
make sure u sort the insurance out for breakages and missing items. We had a bugger for over a year to even get anything from the insurance. We had a whole bedroom missing!! we had electrical items in pieces! we got a measly 400$ back from the insurance and that was a fight. There was so much small print and so many restrictions. It was nightmare
Old Jun 19th 2007, 8:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

lollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond repute

hi

not sure this will help as i shipped mine back (think your talking airfrieght)

8 boxes (4 of which had sat in Adelaide from Dec) queen bed,washer, small freezer and ONE BLOODY BIG IRONING BOARD!

Man packed it all for me, took it away, that was 24th March,shared container, shipped docked 12 june and just waiting for delivery now, total cost in aus dollars was close to $3000.

Customs to pay this end £250.

I have no house so in no rush to take delivery yet. Mate is storing things in her garage.
hope this helps. Yes did have insurance on lap top but cant think off hand what it was.