Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Slightly Different Topic.....Input Welcome

Slightly Different Topic.....Input Welcome

Old Feb 16th 2009, 3:51 pm
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute
Default Slightly Different Topic.....Input Welcome

As I sit here killing time and getting more and more restless waiting to go home, I'm fulfilling one of my ambitions. I'm writing a new cook book for busy mums explaining how to shop, plan meals by the week, write shopping lists, stock up a larder (explain that a larder is a cupboard not a car made in Russia), how to use a chest freezer, and how to plan ahead, etc, etc
The purpose being how to feed a family on the run and not have to take out a second mortgage.

I love cooking so writing a book to help mums feed their kids healthy food that doesn't cost a fortune, is an ambition coming true.

If anyone wants to contribute any tips or ideas, feel free.
Old Feb 16th 2009, 8:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

aasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Slightly Different Topic.....Input Welcome

hi cricket,
if you are doing a cookery book for young mums better include meals out of packets!i can remember my sil asking how do you know when potatoes were boiled and could she leave the skins on( for mashed potatoes)!!my sisters dil works at macdonalds in scotland (in charge) the only cooked meals they have is when they visit them every 4th sunday.how lazy is that and so unhealthy.sorry.will think of a few tried and tested meals,what about chicken tika masala,apparently its britains national meal now,read it somewhere.i buy a cooked chicken,do a roast dinner with it one night.(0nly 2 of us).2nd night i do a big pan of chicken tika masala with the leftover chicken.i divide it up and freeze some for the next week.when the kids were small i used to make a big pan of soup or stew,let it cool and put it into small containers in freezer for them oh and when they were babies just omitted the salt in theirs and poured it into ice cube containers .saves a small fortune.
Old Feb 16th 2009, 8:13 pm
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aasmith1957
hi cricket,
if you are doing a cookery book for young mums better include meals out of packets!i can remember my sil asking how do you know when potatoes were boiled and could she leave the skins on( for mashed potatoes)!!my sisters dil works at macdonalds in scotland (in charge) the only cooked meals they have is when they visit them every 4th sunday.how lazy is that and so unhealthy.sorry.will think of a few tried and tested meals,what about chicken tika masala,apparently its britains national meal now,read it somewhere.i buy a cooked chicken,do a roast dinner with it one night.(0nly 2 of us).2nd night i do a big pan of chicken tika masala with the leftover chicken.i divide it up and freeze some for the next week.when the kids were small i used to make a big pan of soup or stew,let it cool and put it into small containers in freezer for them oh and when they were babies just omitted the salt in theirs and poured it into ice cube containers .saves a small fortune.

I know what you mean. I am shocked when I see what young mums put in their trolleys and wonder why their shopping bill is so high!

The book is really for anyone with a busy lifestyle. It's more about food ideas and being organised in the kitchen than a book full of recipes.
Old Feb 16th 2009, 8:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

aasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud of

its trying to teach them time management and organization skills really,also buying basics for the pantry that you will use a lot.
Old Feb 16th 2009, 8:46 pm
Banned

its trying to teach them time management and organization skills really,also buying basics for the pantry that you will use a lot.
That's so true.
Old Feb 17th 2009, 3:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes I'm a busy mum, and sometimes I'm not

You've already touched on this cricket, but one of my tips would be to make too much of whatever you need. You can portion it up and freeze some. I make a lot of 'things in sauces', ie, bolognese, chilli's, curries, casseroles, etc - and these are perfect to just double up (or sometimes more) on what you need.

This works well for my husband who can take stuff to work to heat up later, and it's great for me to just open the freezer and take out tonight's meal.

I don't know about anyone else, but fussy eaters do my head in. My children are sooo opposite on what they eat, it's not funny. And much as I admire the "they'll eat what's put in front of them" school of thought, that does not work in our house. (And there were always a few things my mother always made me eat, and I'd sit at the table as a child with a dead sprout or bit of beef in my mouth for ages, wanting to spit it out - and I swore I'd never do that to my kids.) I, do, however, make them taste new stuff frequently and will not accept the nose being turned up without even trying it!

But my way of getting round this is to make (and again, pre-prepare and freeze) a few 'old favourites', like lasagnes or veggie-loaded shepherd's pies (the only way to get onions, peas and carrots in without complaints ).

For speed, and yes, flavour, I cheat and use quite the commercial pasta sauces, chinese sauces and occasionally curry (but usually make my own) sauces. Tons of fresh meat and veggies and bob's your wotsit. So quick - you can have a meal on the table, chopped and cooked in about 25 mins.

Finally - slow cookers. What a godsend. Never really considered them in the UK (thought they were a bit granny-ish and old-fashioned to be honest, and far too unfashionable and organised for my liking ). But I am a convert. Get a couple of decent recipe books (like cricket's book-to-be, of course) and chuck it all in. It can take less than 10 minutes sometimes to throw a meal together. Bugger off for the day and come home to a fab aroma and a hot meal. Ideal. Now this idea might convert better to Alberta and after a day out ski-ing, than Australia and 36 degrees, but you get the idea

OK - haven't got time to sit here writing more at the moment - I'm a busy mum you know
Old Feb 17th 2009, 3:15 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

hi cricket,
OMG how awful to feed kids such rubbish fast food all the time. We save those fast meals like Chicken nuggets for treats. No wonder so many kids have high blood pressure and are obese.
Maybe you should include how to make mash potatoes too.
Honestly I cook from scratch every day (occasionally cheating with ready done meat in the oven) and I never spend more than 45 min making dinner.
One of the favorite little kid meals here is mince in gravy and mash and carrots, how easy is that.
Old Feb 17th 2009, 3:59 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
OMG how awful to feed kids such rubbish fast food all the time. We save those fast meals like Chicken nuggets for treats. No wonder so many kids have high blood pressure and are obese.
Maybe you should include how to make mash potatoes too.
Honestly I cook from scratch every day (occasionally cheating with ready done meat in the oven) and I never spend more than 45 min making dinner.
One of the favorite little kid meals here is mince in gravy and mash and carrots, how easy is that.
People need written instructions on how to mash taters?
Old Feb 17th 2009, 4:42 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently so, it's a staple in our house, but I have friends who have no clue, the mash comes dehydrated in a box and you add hot water and butter (marg)
Old Feb 17th 2009, 5:30 am
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricket1
As I sit here killing time and getting more and more restless waiting to go home, I'm fulfilling one of my ambitions. I'm writing a new cook book for busy mums explaining how to shop, plan meals by the week, write shopping lists, stock up a larder (explain that a larder is a cupboard not a car made in Russia), how to use a chest freezer, and how to plan ahead, etc, etc
The purpose being how to feed a family on the run and not have to take out a second mortgage.

I love cooking so writing a book to help mums feed their kids healthy food that doesn't cost a fortune, is an ambition coming true.

If anyone wants to contribute any tips or ideas, feel free.

Something like this perhaps ...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Jamies-Minis...4895333&sr=8-1
Old Feb 17th 2009, 6:02 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Apparently so, it's a staple in our house, but I have friends who have no clue, the mash comes dehydrated in a box and you add hot water and butter (marg)
I've used that too, but the real stuff is better. It's not difficult, it just takes a little longer than the boxed tater flakes.
Old Feb 17th 2009, 7:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

No need to write a book. If you want the best advice on how to cook and shop healthily whilst being very busy, find a fast triathlete, male or female ( Cricket, there are males that cook for their family and do it very well!).

Juggling 3 sports a busy job,, family and being competitive is not easy.
Old Feb 17th 2009, 8:15 am
Banned

I don't think anyone can write a book good enough to get some parents cooking. They are just too lazy unfortunately.

The book i'm writing is all my own recipes and food ideas over the years and really it's aimed at anyone who wants to eat well using fresh, healthy, ethical ingredients and develop an organised style of cooking. It's a simple approach using regular ingredients to get different results.

The only thing is I have to be ultra careful as do most writers, on giving advice on things such as left overs. You can imagine the law suits if someone doesn't defrost left overs properly or reheats them too many times.
It will be 'well milord, Cricket said..............' Then bang.......I'll be inventing jail food.

Honestly, the things we have to think about these days.
Old Feb 17th 2009, 9:25 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

hi cricket,
if you are doing a cookery book for young mums better include meals out of packets!i can remember my sil asking how do you know when potatoes were boiled and could she leave the skins on( for mashed potatoes)!!

What's wrong with making mashed potatoes with the skin still on?? I never peel potatoes, the skin has all the goodness in it. If you boil them with the skin on you can still mash them and they taste so much better...the way potatoes should do
Old Feb 17th 2009, 9:37 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma

What's wrong with making mashed potatoes with the skin still on?? I never peel potatoes, the skin has all the goodness in it. If you boil them with the skin on you can still mash them and they taste so much better...the way potatoes should do
You know the new chat potatoes? The waxy, clean skinned variety? They take ages to boil so I usually bake them first in the microwave.
Lately, I've baked lots of them then put them in the fridge to use later. I've made potato salad (yummy) and then at other times I've added them thickly sliced to steamed mixed vegetables, added a drizzle of olive oil, sea salt, black pepper and a sprinkling of ground parmesan cheese. I love fish, I prefer it to meat so I often pan fry fillet of fish and serve it with the veggies. It's my favourite meal.

The veggies only take a few seconds if you blanch them in boiling water so it's good to have some potatoes already cooked in the fridge waiting to be used. You just slice them and stir fry them into the veg along with any oil or seasoning.

The slow cooker tip was good too. We bought one recently and the meat is so tender. I made lamb shanks in garlic and herb sauce. There was a lot of sauce left over so the next night, I added sliced raw potatoes, carrots, pumpkin, peas and sausages. It was sheer heaven!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.