Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Single woman returning to England?

Wikiposts

Single woman returning to England?

Old Jan 23rd 2011, 8:39 am

citizenmarie is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Single woman returning to England?

Hi, I live in San Francisco and am considering possibly moving back to Worthing or Brighton. Except for short visits, I've been away from the UK for 20 years, first living in Minneapolis then San Fran. I'm British and now have a US passport too. Oh and I'm now 40.

I suppose I just feel the pull of wanting to belong, to feel familiar ... I miss the English, the gardens, the seaside, and access to family and old friends. I realize there are downsides to England, but that is true of the States too, eg: the extreme costs of healthcare, especially as you get older.

I've been looking at rents and they don't seem too bad, compared to here.

Some questions:

- How much is enough money to make a move? I will have saved about $30k by spring. But you lose on the exchange. Plus I don't want to blow all my savings.

- Should I leave that money in my US account? Or get UK account?

- Where to stay while looking for a place and settling in? I don't plan to burden friends and family. One plan was to go for 2 months and stay in a vacation rental, kind of feel it out, but although these look lovely it would get very expensive... Other options?

- Also, I'm a graphic designer for the web and would like to freelance. What is the best way to find jobs or make connections? I'm expecting wages would be lower?

Any thoughts or experiences on moving as a single woman would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Old Jan 23rd 2011, 2:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Single woman returning to England?

Hi marie, welcome to the moving back forum.
Rosie and Jackie in the 50s and 60s thread are moving back as single woman, I think you should maybe post over there and ask them your questions they have just gone through it all. In fact Rosie, Islandwoman has been back a few weeks now and Jackie ldyinnv leaves in two days.
Good luck.
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 2:54 pm
Milana

Milana_Rosemont has a brilliant futureMilana_Rosemont has a brilliant futureMilana_Rosemont has a brilliant futureMilana_Rosemont has a brilliant futureMilana_Rosemont has a brilliant futureMilana_Rosemont has a brilliant futureMilana_Rosemont has a brilliant future

I'm a single woman, moving back between now and March next year, nothing is decided. I think that $30k is ample - I was going to move back on just $3500 NZD but I don't have any shipping - very few belongings really.

Also I'm not planning on paying rent, just board with my aunt in Hertfordshire.
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 2:57 pm
Milana

Milana_Rosemont has a brilliant futureMilana_Rosemont has a brilliant futureMilana_Rosemont has a brilliant futureMilana_Rosemont has a brilliant futureMilana_Rosemont has a brilliant futureMilana_Rosemont has a brilliant futureMilana_Rosemont has a brilliant future

I've found that this website often has web content related jobs - www.w4mp.org

And another possibility is flatshare - www.gumtree.com - for a while since there's only one of you. Or you could try a hostel type place, since it is only temporary.
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by charleygirl
Hi marie, welcome to the moving back forum.
Rosie and Jackie in the 50s and 60s thread are moving back as single woman, I think you should maybe post over there and ask them your questions they have just gone through it all. In fact Rosie, Islandwoman has been back a few weeks now and Jackie ldyinnv leaves in two days.
Good luck.
Ooooh, thank you. Looking through that now!
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by Milana_Rosemont

And another possibility is flatshare - www.gumtree.com - for a while since there's only one of you. Or you could try a hostel type place, since it is only temporary.
Thanks! I recently heard of GumTree - seems like it's used more than craigslist in the UK. I'll take a look. Also, someone mentioned trying an apartment swap. That would really keep costs down...
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 5:36 pm

I'm a single woman, moving back between now and March next year, nothing is decided. I think that $30k is ample - I was going to move back on just $3500 NZD but I don't have any shipping - very few belongings really.

Also I'm not planning on paying rent, just board with my aunt in Hertfordshire.
That's great. Yes, when I saw someone post they were moving back to UK with a plane ticket and $1000 I thought: wow, of course I can do this if I want to! A big thing would be get my accomodations down to next nothing I think. That's the big money sucker.
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 7:55 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

I am single and going back home in less than 5 weeks time...............

With next to nothing..............

And I'm 57...............

If you hang around here you will find there are lots of us in the same boat.......
Old Jan 24th 2011, 3:46 am

confusedenglishrose is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Beedubya
I am single and going back home in less than 5 weeks time...............

With next to nothing..............

And I'm 57...............

If you hang around here you will find there are lots of us in the same boat.......
An old but always true quote:

"I started out with nothing and still have most of that left"

Citizenmarie, good luck - if you really want to go back back the money is not the issue it just comforts the blow. Certainly $30K US is more than enough to do that IMHO. Sounds like enough to rent for a year buy a car and not even worry to much about having to find a job straight away
Old Jan 24th 2011, 5:09 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

An even better (I think) site for a flatshare is www.spareroom.co.uk
Old Jan 24th 2011, 9:35 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by citizenmarie

- Also, I'm a graphic designer for the web and would like to freelance. What is the best way to find jobs or make connections? I'm expecting wages would be lower?
Don't forget that you can freelance for clients anywhere - if you can attract some American clients, you'll be able to earn much more. That's what I plan to do.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 9:39 am
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Gruffbrown lives in Worthing try a PM for the lowdown
Old Jan 24th 2011, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by dunroving
An even better (I think) site for a flatshare is www.spareroom.co.uk
That site looks really great. Seems like there are plenty of options for affordable rentals... I also found http://www.crashpadder.com/ -- although I think I would need to be there in the UK to look at the rooms before renting.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Don't forget that you can freelance for clients anywhere - if you can attract some American clients, you'll be able to earn much more. That's what I plan to do.
Yes, thanks for the reminder. Keeps popping into my head that I could do that -- hourly wage USA is def. more! Hoping a contract comes through that fell through last year, and they are open to long-distance work.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 12:07 pm

Wow, it's pretty emotional all this... one minute excited about planning and going. The next tearing up and feeling fearful and don't know what the hell I'm doing! This forum is amazing though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.