Wikiposts

single parent confused

Old Nov 12th 2009, 10:50 am
Just Joined

emjaxred is an unknown quantity at this point
Default single parent confused

hi all...im a little confused on taking my 2year old daughter to live in england..im british and moved to qld 7years ago..i am now a single parent after splitting up with my australian boyfriend...can i take my daughter to live in uk..what passport would she need?? i desperately want to go home..any advise please..
Old Nov 12th 2009, 12:57 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: single parent confused

I would think you need to have legal custody of your child with paperwork to support it, or your ex could stop you from removing your child from the country.
Old Nov 12th 2009, 1:28 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I would think you need to have legal custody of your child with paperwork to support it, or your ex could stop you from removing your child from the country.
The Aussies are very tough on this and you'll almost certainly need to get your ex to agree to it.
Its quite possible your child has dual citizenship, esp with an Aussie father. Stricly speaking she will need an Aussie passport to leave Australia, and you would need to sort out her British citizenship in order for her to enter the UK with no problems as you are intedning to stay, not just visit.
Old Nov 12th 2009, 1:38 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emjaxred
hi all...im a little confused on taking my 2year old daughter to live in england..im british and moved to qld 7years ago..i am now a single parent after splitting up with my australian boyfriend...can i take my daughter to live in uk..what passport would she need?? i desperately want to go home..any advise please..
This may not be what you want to hear, but you may not be able to remove your child from the jurisdiction without the permission of the other parent or a court order.

Even if the child is a British citizen (child may or may not be), that does not mean you have the right to take child back to Britain.

What is your status in Australia? Are you a permanent resident, or an Australian citizen?
Old Nov 13th 2009, 2:21 am
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

Hi I left Oz 10 years ago with my two Oz born children.I had separated from their aussie father before we left.My Ex-OH had to sign the papers for the kids british passports.Not sure legally what we would of done had he not come to the party?I guess it would of gone to court.Good luck and I hope everything works out for you.
Old Nov 15th 2009, 6:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

hereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by livinginreality
Hi I left Oz 10 years ago with my two Oz born children.I had separated from their aussie father before we left.My Ex-OH had to sign the papers for the kids british passports.Not sure legally what we would of done had he not come to the party?I guess it would of gone to court.Good luck and I hope everything works out for you.
It seems fair though - that the father should have to give his permission. So long as he hadn't been proved to be abusive or negligent he must have some say over a decision like this. Sounds like the OP has some work to do: get passports for the child and get the papers signed by the father.
Old Nov 16th 2009, 1:43 am
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hereandthere
It seems fair though - that the father should have to give his permission. So long as he hadn't been proved to be abusive or negligent he must have some say over a decision like this. Sounds like the OP has some work to do: get passports for the child and get the papers signed by the father.
Totally agree with you there.I'd hate to think how I would of felt had my OH decided to take off O/S without me giving permission for our kids to leave!
Old Dec 10th 2009, 2:23 am
Just Joined

emjaxred is an unknown quantity at this point

hi..i dont have a clue where my daughters dad is he left when she was 3 weeks old..any advise here will be appreciated..can i apply for british passport(by desent) for her???i am at my witts end..how can i get permission if i cant find him..he didnt want anything to do with her but i have no proof of it..all i want to do is go home..thanks everyone who replied
Old Dec 10th 2009, 2:47 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

It sounds like you need to see a lawyer who does custody issues. Have them go to court and get you full physical legal whatever it's called custody as he's abandoned your child (plus never paying child support)
And get your child a UK passport too, you can apply by downloading the forms.
Old Dec 10th 2009, 3:44 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
It sounds like you need to see a lawyer who does custody issues. Have them go to court and get you full physical legal whatever it's called custody as he's abandoned your child (plus never paying child support)
And get your child a UK passport too, you can apply by downloading the forms.
I don't know anything really about this situation, but have you thought of going to the nearest British Embassy and/or Australian Embassy.

I would have thought they have experts there who could give you up to date accurate advice.

Don't you have any idea where the father is? don't you even know which town/city/area he is currently?

I would imagine that you may have to make some attempts to locate him, in order to get his agreement, but again, am not sure.

Good luck with your quest
Old Dec 11th 2009, 12:35 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew
I don't know anything really about this situation, but have you thought of going to the nearest British Embassy and/or Australian Embassy.

I would have thought they have experts there who could give you up to date accurate advice.
The advice would be "find a lawyer".
Old Dec 11th 2009, 11:38 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
The advice would be "find a lawyer".
Yea, ditto. As much of a pain this might be, you're in an area of law that isn't a DIY project / find a form on the Internet. You're going to need to establish full and sole custody legally (if you haven't already). This may require an actual search for the father by a lawyer's investigator, combing legal records around the country in an attempt to serve papers on him, etc.

Of course if he raises a stink, you can sue for 7 years worth of child support payments.

But you are going to need some professional help on this.
Old Dec 12th 2009, 6:11 pm
Just Joined

ellabon is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a question.

Is the fathers name on the Birth Certificate? If not would you need to have his permission to apply for a passport/leave the country?