Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Single guy in London or Melbourne - which would let me save more?

Single guy in London or Melbourne - which would let me save more?

Old Aug 22nd 2015, 6:17 am
Forum Regular

jasey has a reputation beyond reputejasey has a reputation beyond reputejasey has a reputation beyond reputejasey has a reputation beyond reputejasey has a reputation beyond reputejasey has a reputation beyond reputejasey has a reputation beyond reputejasey has a reputation beyond reputejasey has a reputation beyond reputejasey has a reputation beyond reputejasey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Single guy in London or Melbourne - which would let me save more?

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
Hi jasey,

We've been in the UK for just over a year now and while we are in London right now, we are heading back to the West Country at the end of next week to spend the next year there. After that? - who knows?

Was thinking of you last week when checking out property in your old search area around (Isle of) Oxney/Wittersham/Romney Marsh/Ashford (Kent), but then four dogs were the (big) issue back then.
So good to hear from you, Pete! Great to hear that you made it over - can't believe you've been there a year already! Will need to have a pint or three with you when I make it over, even if I'm just visiting

Originally Posted by Shirtback
re bold: yes, of course. However, (and I have no idea about your qualifications/experience, so please don't take my comments personally), that example is not the norm. I did a quick search & the majority of job posts came up at <50% of the salary quoted on your example.

As you know from being in the business, there's a lot of "networking" involved. How would you/do you measure up to those already legally resident in the UK who are/will be candidates for those jobs?

Do you currently work for a company which might be able to transfer you to its UK branch?

I'm not trying to be harsh. Just realist.
You're not wrong. At all. Luckily I have a lot of experience in online gaming, so the roles available in that arena specifically don't pay too badly at my level. But you're right, it's all about who you know, who knows you, and who wants to go to the hassle of a Certificate of Sponsorship.

I may need to make Australia my next move as a stepping stone, get more international experience and work for a company with offices in the UK for a intra-company transfer in a couple of years. That may be the smart/only move.

Thanks for keeping the ideas coming!
Old Aug 22nd 2015, 6:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

If your mother would relocate with you, then I think you may have to think that Australia is the way to go as you already hold permanent residence! You may actually like it better too, after all loads of other South Africans have settled happily there

I would take the easiest route first!
Old Aug 22nd 2015, 7:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by feelbritish
If your mother would relocate with you, then I think you may have to think that Australia is the way to go as you already hold permanent residence! You may actually like it better too, after all loads of other South Africans have settled happily there

+1. As far as I can see so far, Australia is the *only* route open to the OP ATM.

*Even if* *he* manages to get a visa to the UK, how would mum be able to follow?
Old Aug 23rd 2015, 2:03 pm
Forum Regular

jasey has a reputation beyond reputejasey has a reputation beyond reputejasey has a reputation beyond reputejasey has a reputation beyond reputejasey has a reputation beyond reputejasey has a reputation beyond reputejasey has a reputation beyond reputejasey has a reputation beyond reputejasey has a reputation beyond reputejasey has a reputation beyond reputejasey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by feelbritish

+1. As far as I can see so far, Australia is the *only* route open to the OP ATM.

*Even if* *he* manages to get a visa to the UK, how would mum be able to follow?
Thanks guys. It's up to the universe now ... wherever a great job comes up!
Old Aug 23rd 2015, 2:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasey
Thanks guys. It's up to the universe now ... wherever a great job comes up!
Be warned as it has been said before, jobs over internet without being in country are hard to get. You may have to help the u iverse a bit too if you are serious
Old Aug 23rd 2015, 2:39 pm
Forum Regular

Yes indeed, I know that the odds of securing a job from here are less than being there, but I've had one bit of interest via a Skype interview, and have a couple of friends who've done it, so am holding thumbs. I'm happy to visit the country for a series of interviews at one time, if I'm able to set them up from here first.
Old Aug 23rd 2015, 4:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Yes indeed, I know that the odds of securing a job from here are less than being there, but I've had one bit of interest via a Skype interview, and have a couple of friends who've done it, so am holding thumbs. I'm happy to visit the country for a series of interviews at one time, if I'm able to set them up from here first.
Great. If you were to get a job & visa for the UK, what visa would/could your mum get to join you there? Could mum survive financially in SA with you in the UK (it sounds like you share living expenses there ATM? Or maybe I read that wrongly?)
Old Aug 23rd 2015, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

If you were to get a job & visa for the UK, what visa would/could your mum get to join you there? Could mum survive financially in SA with you in the UK (it sounds like you share living expenses there ATM? Or maybe I read that wrongly?)
She doesn't really want to move from SA, so the UK route would be a win/win, other than us missing each other of course. I'd get UK citizenship over time and then see how things turn out from there. In the meantime, I'd need to send funds back to SA for her, which goes back to the numbers I explained my first post on this thread.

Aus is a win in terms of simplicity, because we're both in one location with one group of expenses, both with PR. Except for the fact that she'd have to move, which she's not keen on.

Life hey ... not always simple
Old Aug 23rd 2015, 5:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

She doesn't really want to move from SA, so the UK route would be a win/win, other than us missing each other of course. I'd get UK citizenship over time and then see how things turn out from there. In the meantime, I'd need to send funds back to SA for her, which goes back to the numbers I explained my first post on this thread.

Aus is a win in terms of simplicity, because we're both in one location with one group of expenses, both with PR. Except for the fact that she'd have to move, which she's not keen on.

Life hey ... not always simple
Yeah, not always simple. I sympathise. However, if mum doesn't want to move, you can't force her.

I still think your best & only option if you have to move is AUS, given you and mum already have PR.

I think you are underestimating the challenges involved in :

- getting a job in the UK;
- getting one that pays enough to support both you there & your mum in SA;
- getting the UK visa;
- eventually naturalising there & getting mum a visa.

I wish you the best of luck.
Old Aug 23rd 2015, 5:50 pm
Forum Regular

Yeah, not always simple. I sympathise. However, if mum doesn't want to move, you can't force her.

I still think your best & only option if you have to move is AUS, given you and mum already have PR.

I think you are underestimating the challenges involved in :

- getting a job in the UK;
- getting one that pays enough to support both you there & your mum in SA;
- getting the UK visa;
- eventually naturalising there & getting mum a visa.

I wish you the best of luck.
At the end of it all, I know that you're right. I've got one iron in the fire in the UK, based purely on reaching out to the head of the company directly, and we'll see what comes of that. Funnily enough, even though they're registered as a sponsoring company already, they don't want to go to the hassle of issuing a certificate of sponsorship. I can't really blame them. They probably have 10 million other candidates to choose from every day of the week. If this one doesn't work out, then Aus it will be. The UK may be something that happens a few years down the line ... or not. At least I'll be earning a salary that'll let us save and travel - which is a lot more than we have now. And we should be grateful that we have that opportunity.

Thanks very much for the sincere replies and good wishes
Old Aug 24th 2015, 10:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

At the end of it all, I know that you're right. I've got one iron in the fire in the UK, based purely on reaching out to the head of the company directly, and we'll see what comes of that. Funnily enough, even though they're registered as a sponsoring company already, they don't want to go to the hassle of issuing a certificate of sponsorship. I can't really blame them. They probably have 10 million other candidates to choose from every day of the week. If this one doesn't work out, then Aus it will be. The UK may be something that happens a few years down the line ... or not. At least I'll be earning a salary that'll let us save and travel - which is a lot more than we have now. And we should be grateful that we have that opportunity.

Thanks very much for the sincere replies and good wishes
All the very best. Always keep your options open if you plan to move again further down the line.
Old Aug 24th 2015, 4:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Alfresco
All the very best. Always keep your options open if you plan to move again further down the line.
Thanks so much Life is a great adventure!
Old Aug 31st 2015, 9:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

tee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck with whatever you decide.
One things for sure if this was me, I'd 100% activate that OZ PR visa before the deadline next year and that gives you guys much more of a grace period to decide.
Maybe a nice trip to Melbourne could change your Mums heart about moving
Sometimes you don't know you want to move until you visit somewhere better.
With you both having OZ PR and you mentioning the health care cost you are paying in SA, makes much more sense for you both to head to oz
Old Sep 1st 2015, 1:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tee1
One things for sure if this was me, I'd 100% activate that OZ PR visa before the deadline next year and that gives you guys much more of a grace period to decide.
With you both having OZ PR and you mentioning the health care cost you are paying in SA, makes much more sense for you both to head to oz
Old Sep 5th 2015, 2:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tee1
I've been giving this a lot more thought and, together with the fact that it seems that Tier 2 sponsorship is a 1 in a million shot - literally, it doesn't make sense not to take advantage of the opportunity we have with PR visas. And you're right, a visit would - at the very least - give us 5 more years to take it up

Originally Posted by Alfresco

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.