Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Signing up for Medicare part B while in the UK

Signing up for Medicare part B while in the UK

Old Oct 23rd 2020, 12:03 pm
fstanfield

fiona stanfield is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Signing up for Medicare part B while in the UK

I am a dual citizen UK/USA and almost 2 years ago I came back to the UK to be close to my mom as she is old and is also sick. I lived and worked in the US for 40 years and 4 years after my husband passed away I decided to return to the UK. Knowing that I will be going back and forth and eventually probably going back to the US to live cause my kids are over there. Anyway in December I will be turning 65 so I will be going on Medicare. I am automatically signed up for part A as I receive survivors benefits through social security. I need to sign up for part B though. Is there anyone on the forum that has been through this and do I go through the embassy to get a form. Also how long does it take to get a card after they receive your paperwork. Thank you.
Old Oct 23rd 2020, 1:41 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Signing up for Medicare part B while in the UK

https://www.medicare.gov/manage-your...outside-the-us

I don’t really have any insights or personal experience, sorry. I signed up for Part B while in the US. I think it’s definitely a good idea to pay the Part B premium with your circumstances, because if you don’t, you’ll have to pay the penalty higher premium when you do sign up later. I suspect the process is normally simple & straightforward, but maybe affected by the current situation.
Old Oct 23rd 2020, 2:42 pm
fstanfield

Originally Posted by robin1234 View Post
https://www.medicare.gov/manage-your...outside-the-us

I don’t really have any insights or personal experience, sorry. I signed up for Part B while in the US. I think it’s definitely a good idea to pay the Part B premium with your circumstances, because if you don’t, you’ll have to pay the penalty higher premium when you do sign up later. I suspect the process is normally simple & straightforward, but maybe affected by the current situation.
Thank you so much for the link.
Old Oct 23rd 2020, 7:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

I signed up for Medicare part A through the US Embassy, Federal Benefits Unit in June this year. It took several weeks before they replied with a date and time for an interview. They conducted the interview via telephone, I received a confirmation from Medicare a couple of weeks later then my Medicare card arrived 4-6 weeks later.

Essentially I applied through an email message on their site.

https://uk.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen...email_enquiry/

Old Oct 23rd 2020, 9:37 pm
fstanfield

Originally Posted by durham_lad View Post
I signed up for Medicare part A through the US Embassy, Federal Benefits Unit in June this year. It took several weeks before they replied with a date and time for an interview. They conducted the interview via telephone, I received a confirmation from Medicare a couple of weeks later then my Medicare card arrived 4-6 weeks later.

Essentially I applied through an email message on their site.

https://uk.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen...email_enquiry/
Thank you for your information. I checked on my social security and I am already due to receive part A in December, so I emailed London about part B and they sent me a form and I filled it in and mailed it and I also sent a copy in pdf. So I don’t know how long it will take from here. It’s kind of stressful for me as my dependent military ID card runs out on the 30th November and I cannot renew it until I get the Medicare card, so I am in a bit of a crunch for time.
Old Oct 23rd 2020, 10:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fiona stanfield View Post
Thank you for your information. I checked on my social security and I am already due to receive part A in December, so I emailed London about part B and they sent me a form and I filled it in and mailed it and I also sent a copy in pdf. So I don’t know how long it will take from here. It’s kind of stressful for me as my dependent military ID card runs out on the 30th November and I cannot renew it until I get the Medicare card, so I am in a bit of a crunch for time.
Good luck with it, let us know how you get on.
Old Oct 24th 2020, 12:09 am
fstanfield

I sure will. Thanks!