British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Signing up for Medicare part B while in the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/signing-up-medicare-part-b-while-uk-935404/)

fiona stanfield Oct 23rd 2020 12:03 pm

Signing up for Medicare part B while in the UK
 
I am a dual citizen UK/USA and almost 2 years ago I came back to the UK to be close to my mom as she is old and is also sick. I lived and worked in the US for 40 years and 4 years after my husband passed away I decided to return to the UK. Knowing that I will be going back and forth and eventually probably going back to the US to live cause my kids are over there. Anyway in December I will be turning 65 so I will be going on Medicare. I am automatically signed up for part A as I receive survivors benefits through social security. I need to sign up for part B though. Is there anyone on the forum that has been through this and do I go through the embassy to get a form. Also how long does it take to get a card after they receive your paperwork. Thank you.

robin1234 Oct 23rd 2020 1:41 pm

Re: Signing up for Medicare part B while in the UK
 
https://www.medicare.gov/manage-your...outside-the-us

I don’t really have any insights or personal experience, sorry. I signed up for Part B while in the US. I think it’s definitely a good idea to pay the Part B premium with your circumstances, because if you don’t, you’ll have to pay the penalty higher premium when you do sign up later. I suspect the process is normally simple & straightforward, but maybe affected by the current situation.

fiona stanfield Oct 23rd 2020 2:42 pm

Re: Signing up for Medicare part B while in the UK
 

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 12925258)
https://www.medicare.gov/manage-your...outside-the-us

I don’t really have any insights or personal experience, sorry. I signed up for Part B while in the US. I think it’s definitely a good idea to pay the Part B premium with your circumstances, because if you don’t, you’ll have to pay the penalty higher premium when you do sign up later. I suspect the process is normally simple & straightforward, but maybe affected by the current situation.

Thank you so much for the link.

durham_lad Oct 23rd 2020 7:04 pm

Re: Signing up for Medicare part B while in the UK
 
I signed up for Medicare part A through the US Embassy, Federal Benefits Unit in June this year. It took several weeks before they replied with a date and time for an interview. They conducted the interview via telephone, I received a confirmation from Medicare a couple of weeks later then my Medicare card arrived 4-6 weeks later.

Essentially I applied through an email message on their site.

https://uk.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen...email_enquiry/


fiona stanfield Oct 23rd 2020 9:37 pm

Re: Signing up for Medicare part B while in the UK
 

Originally Posted by durham_lad (Post 12925400)
I signed up for Medicare part A through the US Embassy, Federal Benefits Unit in June this year. It took several weeks before they replied with a date and time for an interview. They conducted the interview via telephone, I received a confirmation from Medicare a couple of weeks later then my Medicare card arrived 4-6 weeks later.

Essentially I applied through an email message on their site.

https://uk.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen...email_enquiry/

Thank you for your information. I checked on my social security and I am already due to receive part A in December, so I emailed London about part B and they sent me a form and I filled it in and mailed it and I also sent a copy in pdf. So I don’t know how long it will take from here. It’s kind of stressful for me as my dependent military ID card runs out on the 30th November and I cannot renew it until I get the Medicare card, so I am in a bit of a crunch for time.

durham_lad Oct 23rd 2020 10:11 pm

Re: Signing up for Medicare part B while in the UK
 

Originally Posted by fiona stanfield (Post 12925465)
Thank you for your information. I checked on my social security and I am already due to receive part A in December, so I emailed London about part B and they sent me a form and I filled it in and mailed it and I also sent a copy in pdf. So I don’t know how long it will take from here. It’s kind of stressful for me as my dependent military ID card runs out on the 30th November and I cannot renew it until I get the Medicare card, so I am in a bit of a crunch for time.

Good luck with it, let us know how you get on.

fiona stanfield Oct 24th 2020 12:09 am

Re: Signing up for Medicare part B while in the UK
 
I sure will. Thanks!


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:01 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.