Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

ShozInOz WozInOz - 6 weeks back in England

Wikiposts

ShozInOz WozInOz - 6 weeks back in England

Old Jun 4th 2006, 11:14 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ShozInOz WozInOz - 6 weeks back in England

Originally Posted by SCOTTISH MARK 2
I think you'll find that economically OZ does exceptionally
well out of immigrants who don't stay forever.

I have certainly paid more than my fair share of tax,
stamp duty, etc.

You might find your own taxes even higher if it
wasn't for the immigrants who stay a few years
and move on.
Hear hear! I too have more than paid my dues to be here and citizenship is the least I should get for it. All told by the time I leave I estimate I have contributed about $350,000. More than enough to pay for the piece of paper.

And who knows by being a citizen I might come back in the future and waste another $350k!
Old Jun 4th 2006, 7:05 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arkon
Hear hear! I too have more than paid my dues to be here and citizenship is the least I should get for it. All told by the time I leave I estimate I have contributed about $350,000. More than enough to pay for the piece of paper.

And who knows by being a citizen I might come back in the future and waste another $350k!
Please dont.............................. mm
Old Jun 4th 2006, 9:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by mr mover
I always thought, Immigration to Australia was about getting people here with skills that can help us Grow the country Not give them 2 years here so the can get their Citzenship,then BUGGER OFF.
About time we put it up to 5years, and tougher visa conditions ........ mm
Do you really think that the only reason we all came to Australia in the first place was for some strange reason so that we could just get citizenship and then return to where we came from?? What possible benefit is there to someone to have citizenship for Australia (or any other country) with no intention of ever returning??

The decision to return is not black and white as some posters on this and the other forums seem to think. For many of us, the decision to come here in the first place was based on a desire to improve our children's lives, not just our own. Not everybody that is returning hates the place you know. For example, just because at the moment I wish to improve my parents' lives as well as my child's doesn't mean that I maybe don't wish to come back in the future, or even if I don't end up coming back, that I wish to take that opportunity away from my son.

I am getting sick and tired of reading posts from people sat on their high horses who think they have the right to tell people that have made a very difficult (and expensive) decision to return to the country they come from that they should burn all their bridges, disregard all the time and money spent in getting here in the first place, and return without any chance of ever coming back again. After all, how many people have come here in the first place and kept their homes back in the UK - "just in case"?? Why should it be any different the other way around?
Old Jun 4th 2006, 9:58 pm
amandainaus

amhibbert has a brilliant futureamhibbert has a brilliant futureamhibbert has a brilliant futureamhibbert has a brilliant futureamhibbert has a brilliant futureamhibbert has a brilliant future

We have only 2.5 weeks left in Australia and as each day goes by the desperation to leave gets more and more.

Just this week our house has been overtaken by some strange marsupials called antechinus or something - little mouse-like darting animals who run into our house to get out of the rain and end up nibbling on the milk frother of our coffee machine (MUST REMEMBER TO CLEAN IT EACH NIGHT!)

Rain keeps pouring into our badly-built house . . .

How can I get away from this feeling? Now we've actually made this decision to return, I just want to leave tomorrow. . .

Amanda
Old Jun 4th 2006, 10:29 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy
Do you really think that the only reason we all came to Australia in the first place was for some strange reason so that we could just get citizenship and then return to where we came from?? What possible benefit is there to someone to have citizenship for Australia (or any other country) with no intention of ever returning??

The decision to return is not black and white as some posters on this and the other forums seem to think. For many of us, the decision to come here in the first place was based on a desire to improve our children's lives, not just our own. Not everybody that is returning hates the place you know. For example, just because at the moment I wish to improve my parents' lives as well as my child's doesn't mean that I maybe don't wish to come back in the future, or even if I don't end up coming back, that I wish to take that opportunity away from my son.

I am getting sick and tired of reading posts from people sat on their high horses who think they have the right to tell people that have made a very difficult (and expensive) decision to return to the country they come from that they should burn all their bridges, disregard all the time and money spent in getting here in the first place, and return without any chance of ever coming back again. After all, how many people have come here in the first place and kept their homes back in the UK - "just in case"?? Why should it be any different the other way around?
I reitterate , we want people to come here and commit to staying and raising their familys, to become AUSTRALIANS not guest workers who come and go at every whim.
We came here in the 60s committed to stay, have an extended Australian Family who have no desires to be any thing else, and yes we have relatives in the UK , who we contact or are contacted by on occasion, if you don,t commit you will never settle and be constantly unhappy................... mm
Old Jun 4th 2006, 11:07 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

I reitterate , we want people to come here and commit to staying and raising their familys, to become AUSTRALIANS not guest workers who come and go at every whim.
We came here in the 60s committed to stay, have an extended Australian Family who have no desires to be any thing else, and yes we have relatives in the UK , who we contact or are contacted by on occasion, if you don,t commit you will never settle and be constantly unhappy................... mm
Our new son is an Australian citizen, are you seriously suggesting that we should just go home without getting citizenship? What happens in the future when and god forbid he decides to move here and start a family? Do we just stay behind or pay the $500,000 for a self funded temporary retiree visa? or maybe take our chances with the balance of family visa? If in 20+ years time he decides to do just that I will then be 60 and maybe ready to come here again and switch the brain off.

As for the never being able to settle unless you commit, what a load of twaddle. Were keeping our options open and only a fool wouldn't.
Old Jun 4th 2006, 11:19 pm
Banned

[QUOTE=arkon]Our new son is an Australian citizen, are you seriously suggesting that we should just go home without getting citizenship? What happens in the future when and god forbid he decides to move here and start a family? Do we just stay behind or pay the $500,000 for a self funded temporary retiree visa? or maybe take our chances with the balance of family visa? If in 20+ years time he decides to do just that I will then be 60 and maybe ready to come here again and switch the brain off.

Mate i make a living out of moving people into and out of my country ,and i am only saying what a lot of Aussies are thinking .
You come here looking for a new life, we have offered you the oppertunity, But No you want 2 years to" Suck and SEE" and if i don,t like it i,m going to bugger off back to blighty', OH but not with out my CITZENSHIP , for Christ sake if if you want to leave Why would you want to come BACK ??? ....... mm
Old Jun 4th 2006, 11:27 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

Mate i make a living out of moving people into and out of my country ,and i am only saying what a lot of Aussies are thinking .
You come here looking for a new life, we have offered you the oppertunity, But No you want 2 years to" Suck and SEE" and if i don,t like it i,m going to bugger off back to blighty', OH but not with out my CITZENSHIP , for Christ sake if if you want to leave Why would you want to come BACK ??? ....... mm
Man it's like banging your head on a brick wall! I thought I'd answered that. My son is an Aussie citizen and I can assure you had we come here and not had a baby, there is noway I'd wait for citizenship and probably would never come back here again even for a holiday.

I hope thats clear enough this time. It wasn't a case of come here and try it for a couple of years. To suggest that I gave up all I had to do just that is an insult. I have earnt the right to become a citizen, more so now that 100% of my offspring are Australian!

Last edited by arkon; Jun 4th 2006 at 11:30 pm.
Old Jun 4th 2006, 11:28 pm
amandainaus

amhibbert has a brilliant futureamhibbert has a brilliant futureamhibbert has a brilliant futureamhibbert has a brilliant futureamhibbert has a brilliant futureamhibbert has a brilliant future

You come here looking for a new life, we have offered you the oppertunity, But No you want 2 years to" Suck and SEE" and if i don,t like it i,m going to bugger off back to blighty', OH but not with out my CITZENSHIP , for Christ sake if if you want to leave Why would you want to come BACK ??? ....... mm[/QUOTE]

Yep, as expected - you said it all exactly as I expected an Aussie to put his point of view across. What is it that happens to people who love it hear? everyone becomes so self-righteously patriotic, 'my country'!

Aaagh, at least it brought some laughter to my quiet house, to frighten off the hoards of antechinus' descending . . .
Old Jun 4th 2006, 11:35 pm
amandainaus

A bit off the topic - does anyone still here in Australia end up watching JAKERS on ABC Kids in the morning as it is the best thing on at that hour???? I flick through the channels every morning, but end up on Jakers - quite entertaining, actually.
Old Jun 4th 2006, 11:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

TillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by amhibbert
A bit off the topic - does anyone still here in Australia end up watching JAKERS on ABC Kids in the morning as it is the best thing on at that hour???? I flick through the channels every morning, but end up on Jakers - quite entertaining, actually.
Yes.. but in my defence I have a 2.5yr old and we record it for her
Old Jun 4th 2006, 11:39 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by arkon
Man it's like banging your head on a brick wall! I thought I'd answered that. My son is an Aussie citizen and I can assure you had we come here and not had a baby, there is noway I'd wait for citizenship and probably would never come back here again even for a holiday.

I hope thats clear enough this time. It wasn't a case of come here and try it for a couple of years. To suggest that I gave up all I had to do just that is an insult. I have earnt the right to become a citizen, more so now that 100% of my offspring are Australian!
Well judging by your post Arkon and your dislike for our country, your going to Turn him against his country of birth, and he wont want to come here any way problem solved so why bother with Citizenship................... mm
Old Jun 5th 2006, 12:34 am
Banned

Originally Posted by amhibbert

Yep, as expected - you said it all exactly as I expected an Aussie to put his point of view across. What is it that happens to people who love it hear? everyone becomes so self-righteously patriotic, 'my country'!

Aaagh, at least it brought some laughter to my quiet house, to frighten off the hoards of antechinus' descending . . .[/QUOTE]
Well Amanda Its only Patrotism ,but thats wasted on you i guess, and when you leave make sure leave our mice behind .........mm
Old Jun 5th 2006, 1:36 pm
Forum Regular

SCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really niceSCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really niceSCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really niceSCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really niceSCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really niceSCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really niceSCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really niceSCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really niceSCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really niceSCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really nice

Aaagh, at least it brought some laughter to my quiet house, to frighten off the hoards of antechinus' descending . . .[/QUOTE]
Well Amanda Its only Patrotism ,but thats wasted on you i guess, and when you leave make sure leave our mice behind .........mm [/QUOTE]

Being a little bit more open minded to other people's circumstances
goes a very long way.........life would be exceptionally dull if
we were all the same and so would Oz without the immigrants
Old Jun 5th 2006, 7:59 pm

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

Not true at all. Many companies want ex pats to come and share their experiences for a few years but do not necessarily want the tie in of having permanent employees. I went to Australia at the request of the Australian arm of my firm who wanted someone with my experience to help them out for a while. Many others in my firm were in Sydney on the same basis from other parts of the world (US, Hong Kong, Scandinavia). I trained up lots of Australians, showed them the way corporate transactions work in a large and cut throat financial centre like London, and left a more competitive and thriving business behind with a number of new/large clients. I did not get citizenship as we did not feel the need. Therefore in my time there I gave a great deal in return for experiencing working in Sydney and making some new friends. The whims to which many of these guest workers come and go are Australian whims, not always the expats whims.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.