Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Should I stop using this forum?

Should I stop using this forum?

Old Aug 29th 2010, 9:20 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should I stop using this forum?

Originally Posted by tdib
Hi

Its an interesting question. In my previous incarnations I have been skulking around British Expats for a long time - starting out by looking for info on moving to Australia about 10 years ago (although it feels a lot longer than that).

As time went on I gravitated to the MBTTUK forum and I guess that tells its own story. There have been times when it has been a help to me through providing "social proof" that I wasn't the only one struggling with life and wanting to go home. At other times though I felt that it wasn't helping at all. Logging on to read another "I've made a decision - we will be home by Christmas" can be profoundly depressing when you know you have no chance of doing likewise. So, I have periodically stayed away from British Expats so I don't slide into a "homesick ghetto" mentality. Keep coming back though

Its taken a long while but time & circumstance mean that I have a more balanced view of both UK and Australia so it doesn't affect me as much either way. Suppose I can only echo what the other posters have sensibly said - use the forum if it is a help but take a break if its becoming a hindrance.

I'd like to make one point though - I know Chinese people here in Australia - they are still Chinese, I know Maoris - they are still Maori, how come its only British people who are supposed to completely abandon their identity or be accused of not wanting to "fit in" ? That gets my goat.
I often asked this while living in Perth WA....the larger majority of our friends were from overseas....Italians ....3rd generation in the main still spoke Italian, my sons friends all had the Italian/Australian accent and they were 4th generation Aussies...same with the Surbians...even a Polish friend who's sons were born in Aus spoke polish as their first language and still insisted on cooking only Polish/German type food at home....oh I have loads of examples...but when I asked my very close Aussie friend why the Brits were labeled as whinging whenever we might for some reason or another she said "well you should simulate...we are the same race of people"...but we are not...we just kind of speak the same language....
Old Aug 29th 2010, 9:39 am
Forum Regular

tdib is a jewel in the roughtdib is a jewel in the roughtdib is a jewel in the roughtdib is a jewel in the roughtdib is a jewel in the rough

Heh heh.

My son's football team played against East Fremantle last week at their ground. They play in the colours of the Italian flag (a red,white & green strip), the corner flags on the pitch are mini Italian flags, the coach is Italian and most of the kids seem to be called Gianni,Luca, Franco etc...

Now that's assimilation !
Old Aug 29th 2010, 10:15 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brits1
Have to agree with you.......depression usually comes from "how you are feeling yourself"....to blame web sites etc is just another easy option than really looking at your life and changing it......I say whatever floats your boat (as long as it's legal..lol)....if reading and going on sites like this makes you happy for a few mins a day etc...then nobody should begrudge you that........and if you want to try and stop reading our wonderfully excellent British comments and see how you go on then do so.....all the best.....
I don't think people are "blaming" the site for making them depressed any more than other people are saying the site "makes" them happy. I think the point is that when you are in a certain state, certain exposures can worsen how you feel. A simple analogy would be exposure to certain people. When you are in a bad mood, your best mate might help lift you out of it, whereas your other mate might just drag you down further.

I can't see any posts that indicate people "begrudging" you being happy for reading this site either.

To be sure, there are some people who look for other things to blame for their situation (psychologists call it "external attribution"), but to imply that depressed people should stop blaming this site and change themselves sounds a bit too much like the "Just snap out of it" response of the 60's. Understanding of mental health has come a long way since then.

Live and let live ...
Old Aug 29th 2010, 1:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorry1
Hi all,

OH says I should stop coming on this forum, particularly the MBTTUK section as it's making me depressed. He says I should embrace Canada, make more friends and stop hanging out with Brits.
Rubbish.
Old Aug 29th 2010, 5:20 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorry1
Hi all,

OH says I should stop coming on this forum, particularly the MBTTUK section as it's making me depressed. He says I should embrace Canada, make more friends and stop hanging out with Brits.

The thing is, I do have Canadian 'friends' but don't have such a laugh as I do with British people. Canadians are friendly and welcoming people, but beyond that I find them quite shallow and boring.

I come on this forum to get that laugh and meet others in the same situation. This forum just 'makes my day' sometimes with the humour.

There is nothing particularly I do not like about Canada, it is a great Country and I definately feel that the kids, and me are safer here. The only downside is, I don't feel like it's my home and I feel like I don't belong somehow.

Does anyone else think they could make more of a go at it if they try harder and stop using forums like this?
How long have you been here?

I've been here 8.5 years now and though it is mostly my home, I still have days where I have intense homesickness for NZ or even just the more UK-dominated world. I started coming on here because I was tired of feeling like such a minority all the time -> I had already been here years before I came on BE but there was always something lacking for me, I love Canada but I get tired of the sanctimoniousness etc. sometimes. OH, kid and most of our friends are Canadian. I don't express myself like a Canadian, I don't think like one and am now accepting I probably never will. It's okay. They think I'm strange sometimes because I'm so reserved and low-key about stuff, I don't go on and on abut how fab something is, I think they are full of crap sometimes with all the OH MY GAWD AWESOME Etc. ...it's all good.

I've decided there's nothing wrong with staying in touch with your own people . There's a reason so many immigrants stay in ethnic ghettos. IT makes the parts of life where you have to deal with the difference easier when you have people you can talk to who understand where you're coming from. I think, over time, it's healthy to have that, as long as you're not restricting yourself to just that. I'm glad I came on BE. I've met some good people on this site who love British comedy as much as I do, take things less seriously, etc, it's been awesome

I've also noticed women seem to feel this way more than men. My MIL has lived in Canada over 30 years, and she still hankers after Ireland. My FIL couldn't care less.

So, basically, what I'm saying is that I think forums like this are fine. Everyone has their own way of dealing with things.

Last edited by ExKiwilass; Aug 29th 2010 at 5:25 pm.
Old Aug 30th 2010, 5:31 am
Forum Regular

backhomeagain will become famous soon enough

Hy Lorry1
My wife and I are going back to the UK this December after spending the last 3 months in lloydminster, before that we lived in Calgary for 2½ years. Lloydminster has to be the most depressive place ever. I think a lot of the people are incredibly shallow and a few of the company owners I had the misfortune of dealing with turned out to be absolute liars and will think nothing of stabbing you in the back. We are now packing our 3 cubic metres of personal effects and heading back to the smell and taste of a good Sunday roast and some real British ale. Just a shame we waited this long!
Steve
Old Aug 30th 2010, 12:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck Steve!
Sunday roast sounds and smells good even from here.
Old Aug 30th 2010, 1:11 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by backhomeagain
Hy Lorry1
My wife and I are going back to the UK this December after spending the last 3 months in lloydminster, before that we lived in Calgary for 2½ years. Lloydminster has to be the most depressive place ever. I think a lot of the people are incredibly shallow and a few of the company owners I had the misfortune of dealing with turned out to be absolute liars and will think nothing of stabbing you in the back. We are now packing our 3 cubic metres of personal effects and heading back to the smell and taste of a good Sunday roast and some real British ale. Just a shame we waited this long!
Steve
OK...I'm back!
Could you not try somewhere else in Canada, or are you done here?

I am feeling alot more positive actually. I don't know whether this summer plays a huge part though, it has been fabulous for the last 3 months and we have gone out and done so much
I really appreciate all the lakes and the fact you can just drive to one and jump in on a hot day. The're never to crowded either.
I seem to recall that as soon as a hot day comes in England, everyone has the same idea to go to the coast. You could spend an hour driving there, an hour getting through traffic, and then another hour trying to find a parking space I definately don't miss that.

Well, lets see what winter brings and if this changes my mood
Old Aug 30th 2010, 1:21 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

I'm happy here in Oz (I have to say that or my Aussie wife hits me only joking).

There is an Australian sense of humour and we have lost of Aussie friends and we belong to lots of local clubs and societies.

However, I found BE by mistake, joined in and now have a little job to do on here as well. There is very definitely a British sense of humour which I enjoy and it is quite uplifting at times. Sometimes though I need a break.

I think you can embrace Canada and the internet.

Our winter this year (for Oz) has been 4 months of utter shite (scuse me) but today was a lovely spring day and I never think of the UK on a day like today.

I think you are quite normal in all honesty.

Alistair.
Old Aug 30th 2010, 2:20 pm
Forum Regular

Hey Charleygirl
Thanks for the kind words - yes, Sunday down your favourite local, with the smell of a gorgeous Sunday roast, covered in onion gravy with roasties and fresh veggies, phoar!! Will I ever miss nachos and cheese sticks, damm thats difficult to imagine, yea right )

I cannot understand why Canadians seem fixated on the cheese thing, pizza drips with cheese, cheese sticks, poutine. I tried it once and nearly threw up. chips with cheese and gravy - ugh, heart attack served up on a plate.

The best line one waitress served up in Bo Diddleys was when we ordered a double baileys with ice, that is one lump please. She immediately threw the glass wrist high into the ice box, and surfaced with a glass full of ice cubes. At infant school we were always taught that one is just one and nothing more! When we reminded her of this, she did apologise and served up two double Baileys with one lump in each glass. She leaned on the bar and said, "doesnt the ice change the flavour of the Baileys?" Well, how do you respond to that? The wife and me looked at each other and tried really hard not to fall off our stools in fits of laughter, but explained that ice really was just frozen water and that the Baileys would only be slightly chilled. And this is how we have found Canadians to be ever since coming here. Innocent? maybe. Certainly naive in many things but if you cross them, watch out! Having been laid off 5 times in 5 years, and one mega argument with a company owner, I think its best we just got out the frying pan once and for all and headed back to the first real ale festival we can find.

So, one question I have is, does anybody know how much it would be to send 3 cubic metres of boxes to the UK with a shipping company? I have contacted some companies and now I am just waiting for some replies which once again I could be waiting here for the next three weeks. I am dealing with AMJ Van Lines which we dealt with in the past, and another company callled Allied Van Lines. So, if I was to say $2500 to get our stuff back, would I be close or way off?

Any input from you guys would be welcome. And the stories we can tell about Canadians and Canada would make even Mr.Letterman cry with laughter!

If I had to make one comment about our experience, it would have to go like this.

"Thinking about making a new life in another country is a big step, but even worse is wondering what if? for the rest of your life. If you are still young, (unlike us old gits), then there other places much worthier than Canada to set up shop. Almost $35,000 out of pocket like we are was not the right way to go"

Keep smiling, Britain awaits your return.
Steve
Old Aug 30th 2010, 4:55 pm
Forum Regular

Actually I got laid off f times in 2½ years - duh
Old Aug 30th 2010, 4:55 pm
Forum Regular

five times even - damm this Baileys is good
Old Aug 30th 2010, 5:23 pm
Lost in Space

lilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by backhomeagain
five times even - damm this Baileys is good
It seems we need a drink and type thread these days. There must be some hitting of the booze in these stressful moving times! I am doing my fair share of the wine consumption in this house!
Old Aug 30th 2010, 5:28 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
How long have you been here?

I've been here 8.5 years now and though it is mostly my home, I still have days where I have intense homesickness for NZ or even just the more UK-dominated world. I started coming on here because I was tired of feeling like such a minority all the time -> I had already been here years before I came on BE but there was always something lacking for me, I love Canada but I get tired of the sanctimoniousness etc. sometimes. OH, kid and most of our friends are Canadian. I don't express myself like a Canadian, I don't think like one and am now accepting I probably never will. It's okay. They think I'm strange sometimes because I'm so reserved and low-key about stuff, I don't go on and on abut how fab something is, I think they are full of crap sometimes with all the OH MY GAWD AWESOME Etc. ...it's all good.

I've decided there's nothing wrong with staying in touch with your own people . There's a reason so many immigrants stay in ethnic ghettos. IT makes the parts of life where you have to deal with the difference easier when you have people you can talk to who understand where you're coming from. I think, over time, it's healthy to have that, as long as you're not restricting yourself to just that. I'm glad I came on BE. I've met some good people on this site who love British comedy as much as I do, take things less seriously, etc, it's been awesome

I've also noticed women seem to feel this way more than men. My MIL has lived in Canada over 30 years, and she still hankers after Ireland. My FIL couldn't care less.

So, basically, what I'm saying is that I think forums like this are fine. Everyone has their own way of dealing with things.
Been here 3 years
Yes, I've decided I love coming on this forum to get my daily dose of British humour
You can't beat it and some of the threads on here have me in stiches
Old Aug 30th 2010, 6:00 pm
Forum Regular

Humour is like a good bottle of Baileys, always manages to put a smile on my face )

A few things we will be taking back to the UK will be the ability to make shots now. Never done that before. Imagine getting spannered on a dozen chocolate cake shots and a few dozen slippery nipples, rounding the evening off with a couple of apple pies.

And of course nothing beats about a 100 chicken wings in good old Franks red hot sauce to get the old sphinctar muscled wobbling!!

I cant wait to try these out on our friends

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.