Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Shops-what do you miss the most?

Shops-what do you miss the most?

Old Jan 7th 2007, 7:17 am
Normal Service Resumed

Skyblue67 is a glorious beacon of lightSkyblue67 is a glorious beacon of lightSkyblue67 is a glorious beacon of lightSkyblue67 is a glorious beacon of lightSkyblue67 is a glorious beacon of lightSkyblue67 is a glorious beacon of lightSkyblue67 is a glorious beacon of lightSkyblue67 is a glorious beacon of lightSkyblue67 is a glorious beacon of lightSkyblue67 is a glorious beacon of lightSkyblue67 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Shops-what do you miss the most?

Originally Posted by JoanMC
TRIVIA from Wikidpedia...James Alexander Holden immigrated to South Australia from England in 1852 and in 1856 established J.A Holden & Co, a saddlery business in Adelaide. The first Holden, a family six, was made in 1948, and the first Australian Ford Falcon was made in 1960. Both were based on US designs and when reading the history US General Motors was in the picture considerably....Alexander Holden, who in 1856 set up a saddlery business in Adelaide (SA) which evolved to become Holden's Motor Body Builders, merging in 1931 with General Motors Australia to become General Motors-Holden' s and retaining the symbol of the Holden lion (the company officially changed its title from General Motors-Holden's Automotive to Holden Ltd.).In 1931 General Motors purchased the business and formed General Motors–Holden's Ltd. In 1998, it was renamed Holden Ltd and in May 2005, it became known as GM Holden Ltd.
Thanks for the info but it leaves me none the wiser as to why Aussies obsess about which (basically American) car company you "barrack" for. Most Aussies seem to dislike the USA but then plaster themselves in merchandise from either Ford or GM. Its a feature of life over here I just don't get at all. When I was in the UK I drove a VW but it didn't move me to wear a T Shirt saying that my car was better than my neighbours Toyota ???
Old Jan 7th 2007, 7:20 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Skyblue67
Thanks for the info but it leaves me none the wiser as to why Aussies obsess about which (basically American) car company you "barrack" for. Most Aussies seem to dislike the USA but then plaster themselves in merchandise from either Ford or GM. Its a feature of life over here I just don't get at all. When I was in the UK I drove a VW but it didn't move me to wear a T Shirt saying that my car was better than my neighbours Toyota ???
You see its not part of mine. Most of my friends drive mitsubishis and toyotas and in fact I met my first Holden owner yesterday after 18 months of being here and he was english!!

My Australian friends think Ford and Holden are crap and wouldn't own one if they were paid too.
Old Jan 7th 2007, 7:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
You see its not part of mine. Most of my friends drive mitsubishis and toyotas and in fact I met my first Holden owner yesterday after 18 months of being here and he was english!!

My Australian friends think Ford and Holden are crap and wouldn't own one if they were paid too.

My hubby's car is great, he has a ford falcon Although the Aussies take the piss and ask him why he needs a racing car (you maybe have to see it )
Old Jan 7th 2007, 7:26 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
My hubby's car is great, he has a ford falcon Although the Aussies take the piss and ask him why he needs a racing car (you maybe have to see it )
I don't have an opinion on them to be honest Wendy, its a car to me that gets me from A to B. I can remember my husbands mates stressed about the Astra GTE, Golf GTi and the Ford RS Turbo back in the day, so to me its no different here.
Old Jan 7th 2007, 7:31 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

I miss most shops that actually keep a decent stock level and when you phone up to check if they have something before you leave home tell you the truth.

Yesterday I drove 3 and a half hours to Gosford to get a specific baby car seat, I checked they had it first and asked them to reserve it. I was told there was no need to reserve as they have loads. Off I trundle to find out it was a lie, they sold out ages ago and won't be getting anymore until the next stock take IN JUNE!!!!!!!! This time I lost my rag which is unusual, It cost me $70 in fuel and a whole day. So someone please tell me what the F**k am I doing wrong? This sort of example is a very frequent experience for me and I can honestly say this NEVER happened all my life in the UK. I've no lost track of the number of times I go out and come back empty handed.
Old Jan 7th 2007, 7:34 am
Normal Service Resumed

Skyblue67 is a glorious beacon of lightSkyblue67 is a glorious beacon of lightSkyblue67 is a glorious beacon of lightSkyblue67 is a glorious beacon of lightSkyblue67 is a glorious beacon of lightSkyblue67 is a glorious beacon of lightSkyblue67 is a glorious beacon of lightSkyblue67 is a glorious beacon of lightSkyblue67 is a glorious beacon of lightSkyblue67 is a glorious beacon of lightSkyblue67 is a glorious beacon of light

I don't have an opinion on them to be honest Wendy, its a car to me that gets me from A to B. I can remember my husbands mates stressed about the Astra GTE, Golf GTi and the Ford RS Turbo back in the day, so to me its no different here.
Did he wear a T-Shirt to keep everyone up to date with his feelings on various car makes ?
Old Jan 7th 2007, 7:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Same here really. I'm going to just buy the cheapest car I can find :scared: when I go for my learners permit. Daren't drive hubby's car it's his mid life crisis car
Old Jan 7th 2007, 7:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of NZ's have this thing about Holden (Vauxhall to us) and hate Fords? I still cant understand why?
Even my kids are starting wanting Holden T shirts, Holden shorts, Holden toys, badges etc?? I mean...why???
Its just a car when all is said and done. Nothing special IMO.
BTW, we DONT drive a Holden.
Old Jan 7th 2007, 9:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

blowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I think its the attitude, p;us the fact that they believe the country has the best there is on offer, so they don't think they need to supply a greater choice. Shoes here are awful (IMO) - I get mine from the Uk as well as The Bloke's.
The MIL was telling me the other day that most elderly people here go to a podiatrist as a matter of course, as they have foot problems, and I've noticed that ads specify shoes that fit the "wider foot" - does anyone else think that this is the result of so many people either going barefoot, or wearing badly fitting shoes? I know I was told as a chil that if I didn't wear shoes that were confortably tight, my feet would spread, but here all the shoes seem designed to fit loosely (cos of the heat I suppose?)
I am having alot of feet problems since I have been here and I am sure its the shoes.I have never worn shoes on the house in either country but trainers and leather shoes.I did find a pair of shoes that I quite liked they were $200.00 still made in some gungeepo country and fitted poorly.Didn't buy them.I have some great shoes from the uk made in Italy £36.00 bargan.

They do think they have the best on offer they also think cheap where I live anyway.So not much you can do really.
Old Jan 8th 2007, 4:13 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blowfly
I am having alot of feet problems since I have been here and I am sure its the shoes.I have never worn shoes on the house in either country but trainers and leather shoes.I did find a pair of shoes that I quite liked they were $200.00 still made in some gungeepo country and fitted poorly.Didn't buy them.I have some great shoes from the uk made in Italy £36.00 bargan.

They do think they have the best on offer they also think cheap where I live anyway.So not much you can do really.
Talking of shoes, we have had a pair of crocs that we bought out here and they were very uncomfortable and sore and frankly we couldn't see what all the raving was about crocs. Then a friend came out from England with a pair of crocs and the difference was amazine, light, and comfortable. Turns out the ones sold here are not genuing crocs but fakes and unless you have ever seen the real ones you wouldn't know. The proper ones have a tiny enameled croc badge on them and the fakes don't.
Old Jan 9th 2007, 4:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

Flippin heck Arkon, what would you want with Croc shoes? Fake ones at that.
I haven't really bought any shoes in NZ for quite a while coz am finding them very, very long narrow and tiny, made for tiny petite feet. (which am not)
Good job I have my old Uk ones still going strong.
Old Jan 9th 2007, 7:32 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

Originally Posted by Rascal
Flippin heck Arkon, what would you want with Croc shoes? Fake ones at that.
I haven't really bought any shoes in NZ for quite a while coz am finding them very, very long narrow and tiny, made for tiny petite feet. (which am not)
Good job I have my old Uk ones still going strong.
Yikes! I should clarify, you wouldn't see me dead in a pair of crocs, look like big nasty green Cornish pasties if you ask me. The missus had a pair, and so did her mate. Almost looked like I was a ringer for dwaine dibbly.
Old Jan 9th 2007, 5:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by arkon
Yikes! I should clarify, you wouldn't see me dead in a pair of crocs, look like big nasty green Cornish pasties if you ask me. The missus had a pair, and so did her mate. Almost looked like I was a ringer for dwaine dibbly.
Go on, show us a piccy of you in them!
I cant get my feet in the shoes here, they are just sooooooooooo tiny (Or I have big feet) am size 6, is that big???
Old Jan 9th 2007, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

JoanMC is a jewel in the roughJoanMC is a jewel in the roughJoanMC is a jewel in the roughJoanMC is a jewel in the roughJoanMC is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Skyblue67
Only Opinion: Do you think that it may be because Australia (although a great and unique Country) is relatively speaking still finding her feet and perhaps searching for her own identity? Please don't get me wrong, Brits' are by no means perfect, however most Brits' while bemoaning the government, taxes etc, seem to be comfortable with themselves because we know who and what we are as a nation. This is probably due to our long history and achievements (not to mention failures).
Old Jan 9th 2007, 8:46 pm
Forum Regular

brisbane bronco is an unknown quantity at this point

Having just come back to London in Dec after 2yrs in Brisbane I agree the shopping experience is much better with better choice, quality and price but we expect that in a city of 12M people to serve.
Tesco seems to have gotten bigger and bigger. I can't believe how good the 3Pound jeans are - Sainsbury and Asda also do the same deal. And we have taken out Tesco prepay mobile SIMs for 10p/min calls - cheaper than we were paying in Oz. Have a look at the Tesco website. It is amaxing what you can get.
Argos is so easy and cheap.TK Maxx has also grown bigger.Ikea is huge compared to Brisbane's sole store.

We are due back in Qld soon and you wonder how much to bring back...

The whole experience is like coming into the city from the country to shop (if you have experienced that you'll know the excitement!).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.