Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Shops-what do you miss the most?

Shops-what do you miss the most?

Old Jan 14th 2007, 7:00 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Shops-what do you miss the most?

Originally Posted by JoanMC
Sachet ! Probably thought you were talking about a new dance craze!
Considering its our National dish and the Australian background that is incredible,,maybe it's a deliberate slight on things British?.when Americans visit here they can't get enough of our trad F&Chips,No vinegar is almost as bad as a pub with no beer!,,,,BTW, do they drink "real ale" in Australia or is it that chemical stuff that my husband says pretends to be lager.....That would say it all...
90% of the beer is like knats p!ss... but I am beginning to either..

1) Find the odd beer that's OK.. I.E. Some of the James Squire stuff. or
2) I am developing a taste for Aussie beer:scared: *shudders at the very thought*
Old Jan 14th 2007, 7:03 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by northernbird
being a northern bird I am exactly the same. We used to get chips, scraps and gravy. yummo. when we moved to

Are scraps just the bits off the end of the fish?
99% batter with the odd fish scale in it?.

We used to call them scrapings in manchester.
Old Jan 14th 2007, 7:05 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Are scraps just the bits off the end of the fish?
99% batter with the odd fish scale in it?.

We used to call them scrapings in manchester.
yes, the bits of batter that fall off when the fish is fried. v. unhealthy but delish. takes me back that does. sat outside the chippy with scraps and gravy, snogging darren clark and drinking dandelion and burdock. Simple days.
Old Jan 14th 2007, 7:06 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

yes, the bits of batter that fall off when the fish is fried. v. unhealthy but delish. takes me back that does. sat outside the chippy with scraps and gravy, snogging darren clark and drinking dandelion and burdock. Simple days.
Substitute Shane Warne for Darren Clark and you'd be in heaven
Old Jan 14th 2007, 7:09 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meljor
How about meat pie mushy peas and mint sauce, beats meat pie and tomato sauce any day of the week.
Got to be genuine UK vinegary mint sauce though - I find the stuff over here is either mint jelly,or is too sweet.
Old Jan 14th 2007, 7:10 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Substitute Shane Warne for Darren Clark and you'd be in heaven
very nice thought. I think you and I are the only members of the 'sex on a stick club here'
Old Jan 14th 2007, 7:12 am
Account Closed

I couldn't do the chips and gravy thing - my ex grew up in Blackpool and loved it, but I was always dubious.
I think the funniest bit with the vinegar was the way they ceremoniously brought me this dish of it!!
I once heard a story about a Labour politician at a conference in Blackpool walking into the local chippy, with the press core it tow, and looking a complete burk when he asked for a portion of the 'lovely looking guacamole'.... pointing at the mushy peas.
Old Jan 14th 2007, 7:13 am
Home and Happy

very nice thought. I think you and I are the only members of the 'sex on a stick club here'
There was someone else in one of the threads - might have been Wendy - I'll see if I can find it

Edited to add - http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...&postcount=101

Last edited by Pollyana; Jan 14th 2007 at 7:17 am.
Old Jan 14th 2007, 7:29 am
Account Closed

There was someone else in one of the threads - might have been Wendy - I'll see if I can find it

Edited to add - http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...&postcount=101
Did you know that Shane Keith Warne is an anagram of....

'Is Heathen Wanker'
Old Jan 14th 2007, 8:35 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

'Is Heathen Wanker'
How long did it take you to work that out?

I also think he is sexy.....BUT, I also think he is a complete and utter ar*ehole too, so anyone who wants him is more than welcome. You don't know where he's been!
Old Jan 14th 2007, 8:44 am
Hanging by a thread

Location: England to Spain, Spain to England and back home for good
Sparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Rosie Cheeks
How I long for a pair of M&S Knickers
Just bought myself a pack of 5 for £6.00, and for the record they were made in Egypt! Dare I confess it was two years since I last bought any, that's how long they last......and they are still going strong, LOL!

Sparkle
Old Jan 14th 2007, 8:51 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
A bloody long time.
Old Jan 14th 2007, 9:00 am
Home and Happy

'Is Heathen W*nker'
And your point is

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl

I also think he is sexy.....BUT, I also think he is a complete and utter ar*ehole too, so anyone who wants him is more than welcome. You don't know where he's been!
You won't be in the queue then? Phew, just me, NB and Wendy then, forming an orderly like to send texts
Old Jan 14th 2007, 11:13 am
BE Enthusiast

blowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by meljor
God your going to miss that insulation and cheap heating. We rent a house it's up for sale at $460,000 and you can see daylight through the floorboards :scared: it's weatherboard which the Aussies love but as far as I'm concerned it's just a well decorated shed. You get a lot more for your money regarding solid house with cavity wall insulation, double glazing and central heating in England, might not be as big and might have to share a wall with the neighbours but won't cost you a fortune in heating and cooling.
That is me.I keep seeing downstairs upstairs,we are going to have the polished floors redone. I do like having carpet in the bedroom,so might fix that.
Old Jan 14th 2007, 4:44 pm
Forum Regular

JoanMC is a jewel in the roughJoanMC is a jewel in the roughJoanMC is a jewel in the roughJoanMC is a jewel in the roughJoanMC is a jewel in the rough

Got to be genuine UK vinegary mint sauce though - I find the stuff over here is either mint jelly,or is too sweet.
"Mint Jelly" that is definately US influence,,anything to avoid good old Brit grub'?

Don't tell me they have Horse Radish and Apple Sauce Jelly as well?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.