Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Shipping US to UK: repacking required??

Shipping US to UK: repacking required??

Old Dec 8th 2009, 4:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Shipping US to UK: repacking required??

Originally Posted by Eton_Rifle
Going to Derby, been in North Carolina for 6 years, this last week is killing me getting so frustrated with the process. We are getting there one step at a time but each step has about 5 other steps attached to it lol.
I used to live in Middlesbrough, VERY close to Nunthorpe (Normanby).
I put my house on the market early May and we finally closed and moved out the end of October so we were quite fortunate even though we had 3 contracts on the house in that time.
We "made" some money on the house, unless you count in the upgrades and maintenance we put in over the years out of our own pocket rather than financing then we about broke even.
Finding a job will be the hard part, but I will say one thing the UK seemed to pick up in about September and I had been applying for jobs since January.
I could have took lower paying jobs but I had to think realistically especially with the price of houses etc. and a family to support.
In the US I haven't seen the jobs pick up yet, I was laid off in April and have not had one single interview over here despite applying to dozens and dozens of jobs in this state and even surrounding states, yet I've had 5 in England and got one job and I'm not even living there yet.
I am like you another year and I think I would crack, but I can finally see light at the end of the tunnel after what has been a LONG year.
Can't wait for Christmas in England and a Happy New year
I went to Eston Grammar School (don't think it is there anymore), used to go to Normanby on a Friday night to a pub (don't remember name) and listen to Irish folk singers, all drunk of course. Then end up in fish and chip shop (the good old days they were sold in newspaper!) before getting the bus back home (address was South Bank, but wasn't that far). What a small world!!!
Old Dec 8th 2009, 7:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond repute

We used Rinkens when we moved over. We had no problem with them. We packed the container ourselves...........we packed everything in both proper moving boxes and other boxes we managed to scrounge up. We packed and loaded the 20 foot container very carefully and tied down anything we thought would go bouncing around the container. We put a padlock on the container and brought the key with us. Customs didn't touch the container because I unlocked it with the key when it arrived at our house in Wales (The moving crew was within about 5 seconds of cutting the lock off when I ran outside in the pouring rain with the key, lol).

Be warned, the 20 foot container is going to be about 4 1/2 feet off the ground when they drop it at your house in the States. Make sure you have some system set up to get all your worldly possessions up and into the container......we slid a lot of things up makeshift ramps with 2 by 4s......and called on some neighborhood muscle to help with the really big things.

Since we packed outselves, the only insurance available was coverage for if the container somehow went overboard off the ship. We took that for peace of mind.

While we loaded the container in the States, Rinkens did unload here in Wales and it took them only what seemed like an hour or two. They were fast.....and nothing was broken in the move.............but a couple of weeks later I dropped a boxes of my dishes that had made it all the way across the Atlantic entact and every damned dish shattered.........I had a big boohoo after that one, lol.
Old Dec 8th 2009, 9:09 pm
Just Joined

IanWorthington is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Scout
We used Rinkens when we moved over. We had no problem with them. We packed the container ourselves...........we packed everything in both proper moving boxes and other boxes we managed to scrounge up. We packed and loaded the 20 foot container very carefully and tied down anything we thought would go bouncing around the container. We put a padlock on the container and brought the key with us. Customs didn't touch the container because I unlocked it with the key when it arrived at our house in Wales (The moving crew was within about 5 seconds of cutting the lock off when I ran outside in the pouring rain with the key, lol).

Be warned, the 20 foot container is going to be about 4 1/2 feet off the ground when they drop it at your house in the States. Make sure you have some system set up to get all your worldly possessions up and into the container......we slid a lot of things up makeshift ramps with 2 by 4s......and called on some neighborhood muscle to help with the really big things.

Since we packed outselves, the only insurance available was coverage for if the container somehow went overboard off the ship. We took that for peace of mind.

While we loaded the container in the States, Rinkens did unload here in Wales and it took them only what seemed like an hour or two. They were fast.....and nothing was broken in the move.............but a couple of weeks later I dropped a boxes of my dishes that had made it all the way across the Atlantic entact and every damned dish shattered.........I had a big boohoo after that one, lol.
Thanks Scout. How detailed an inventory did you prepare fro customs?

ian
Old Dec 8th 2009, 9:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond repute

I numbered every box, with the contents of each box listed........ie....books, kitchen pots and pans, dishes, clothing, etc. This was all sent to Rinkens via fax (I think) before we loaded. I had no problems with customs, and as far as I am aware they never opened or inspected our container. I think they probably only spot check containers anyway.