British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Shipping U.S. to U.K (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/shipping-u-s-u-k-920431/)

Tazley Dec 26th 2018 1:18 pm

Shipping U.S. to U.K

Can anyone offer any recommendations for companies to use for a Florida to Dorset move?

Thank you in advance.

Wilto Dec 30th 2018 3:17 pm

Re: Shipping U.S. to U.K

Originally Posted by Tazley (Post 12612947)
Can anyone offer any recommendations for companies to use for a Florida to Dorset move?

Thank you in advance.

We are also in FL looking to move back in the summer.

Check these guys out for a ballpark instant quote.
https://upakweship.com/

How much are you looking to ship?

We are flip flopping between everything on a 20ft container around $4000 or just the bare minimum (80 cubic ft) sentimental stuff for $1100.

Tazley Dec 30th 2018 3:41 pm

We have 2 homes here that we have sold so it looks like a 40ft container for us I am afraid as wife just cannot throw 'stuff' away, and I do not want to buy any of this type of 'stuff' ever again!

Wilto Dec 30th 2018 4:02 pm

That makes sense though, the value of your 2 homes should far exceed the cost of shipping!

Our furniture is battered due to toddler abuse, no sentimental or dollar value.

Tazley Dec 30th 2018 4:06 pm

Appreciate your feedback, will see what they can do for us.

Bud the Wiser Dec 30th 2018 8:07 pm

We used upakweship in September from Florida. A U-crate 50 with mainly personal items. In hindsight we should have used a U-crate 100 and filled it with smaller non electric house hold items. Choose not to ship furniture not only would the cost probably outweigh the value, but the chances of it fitting into and suiting a typical size British home were slim. What we achieved by selling off the furniture plus potential shipping costs equated to about 60-65% of the replacement cost. However, when you take into account it's new for old, I think we made the right decision. Upakweship were excellent, though you do neep a ship to an address or you will have to pay storage.

Wilto Dec 31st 2018 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by Bud the Wiser (Post 12614341)
We used upakweship in September from Florida. A U-crate 50 with mainly personal items. In hindsight we should have used a U-crate 100 and filled it with smaller non electric house hold items. Choose not to ship furniture not only would the cost probably outweigh the value, but the chances of it fitting into and suiting a typical size British home were slim. What we achieved by selling off the furniture plus potential shipping costs equated to about 60-65% of the replacement cost. However, when you take into account it's new for old, I think we made the right decision. Upakweship were excellent, though you do neep a ship to an address or you will have to pay storage.

Bud, thanks for the feedback.

Don't want to hijack the thread but have a few questions to ask.

1) How long did it take for the crate to arrive in the UK?
2) How battered was the crate?
3) Anything you wish you had brought to the UK with you?

My wife has some very special china that must make the trip back to the UK with us, we are great at packing boxes but if the crate itself gets beat the crap out of then it may not be worth it.

Bud the Wiser Dec 31st 2018 7:55 pm

1. About 6-8 weeks. Held up a little by the hurricane. The crate arrived before we did. Used the brother in laws address for shipping.
2. Crate arrived in excellent condition. Nothing broken. FYI The U-crate 50 holds 8 medium Home depot 18x18x16 boxes with space to pack larger items in between boxes and on top.
3. Just a lot of simple small everyday things that you use around the house and kitchen. Also some non electrical tools. It's not that they can't be replaced it's just a pain when you find you need something and have to go out time and time again to buy it.

We shipped some delicate Christmas ornaments and photo frames, Used bubble wrap. All okay.

Tazley Dec 31st 2018 9:46 pm

Your comment sums up very well why I am getting involved with this whole 'shipping thing':

it's just a pain when you find you need something and have to go out time and time again to buy it!