Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Shipping Sydney to Bristol UK - advice and recommendations?

Shipping Sydney to Bristol UK - advice and recommendations?

Old Jan 11th 2015, 7:54 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping Sydney to Bristol UK - advice and recommendations?

Originally Posted by Famous 5
We got 4 quotes for a 20ft container and Chess were the lowest by quite a significant margin at a cost of $7700. We also air freighted some of our belongings (musical instruments, computers and clothing)...
How much did the air freighting cost, if you don't mind me asking? Or was that included in the $14,000ish?
Old Jan 19th 2015, 3:46 pm
Forum Regular

Famous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
How much did the air freighting cost, if you don't mind me asking? Or was that included in the $14,000ish?
Sorry for the delay in replying - I did try to reply last week, but something went wrong as I attempted to submit my post and the end result was my post disappeared and I didn't have time to start again. So I'll try again now....

We actually paid $7,700 for our sea freight (a 20ft container) plus a further $770 for 60kg of air freight which works out at just under $13 per kilo as opposed to the $60 per kilo the airline would have charged us for excess baggage. We used the door to door service offered by the company moving our sea freight: as I recall there were cheaper options (with other companies), but we would have been required to pick our stuff up at LHR.

60kg covered everything we wanted to send by air and included a saxophone; a flute; some sheet music; 2 laptops; 2 back-up drives; a PS4 and some games; a couple of irreplaceable photo albums and boxes of camcorder tapes that we have not yet converted to digital storage; business suits; shoes and a selection of other clothing I thought I couldn't live without!

It was money well spent from our point of view.
Old Jan 20th 2015, 2:09 pm
Just Joined

jpmk1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, not sure if this helps but we're in the process of moving Sydney to London, UK. We're not taking as much as you, only 141 cuft and it's costing £2,490 'door to door'. How does that compare to you guys?
Old Jan 20th 2015, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

Famous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Famous 5
We actually paid $7,700 for our sea freight (a 20ft container) plus a further $770 for 60kg of air freight which works out at just under $13 per kilo as opposed to the $60 per kilo the airline would have charged us for excess baggage.
I have been having a clear out and came across the invoice for the air freight, which listed the actual weight as 67kg which works out at around $11.50 per kilo - even better value than I thought!