Shipping stuff back to UK from USA

Old Jun 30th 2015, 6:58 pm
Just Joined

mandevilla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shipping stuff back to UK from USA

We are hoping to move from New Jersey USA to Derby UK

Anyone know any companies that do that?

We'd like an idea of cost if possible.
I hope I've posted this in the right place.
Old Jun 30th 2015, 9:45 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping stuff back to UK from USA

Yes you have posted it in the right place.
Old Jul 1st 2015, 2:42 am
Forum Regular

moggi1964 is an unknown quantity at this point

We are using First Class Movers and pricing is competitive and communication has been good. We too are moving from NJ but to Manchester.

We are moving a family of three and it will cost $13,000 plus insurance including packing by the movers and unpacking at the other end.

If I get a chance I will post our packing experience before we leave on July 14th.

I also had Ilovemoving (I think) quote and they were very close to that figure and are very well rated. We picked the more local one but could easily have gone with the other.

Good luck and hope this helps.
Old Jul 1st 2015, 11:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Bnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond repute

We will be using upakweship. We were quoted $4000 for a container. They are the most competitive price wise and you will find a lot of people have used them on this forum (for reviews)
Old Jul 1st 2015, 12:01 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

I used Upakweship from Canada. We did our own packing, but employed a firm of movers to do the loading of the container. The packing was a lot of work, but it did save us a barrel-load of money and the service from Upakweship was very good.
Old Jul 1st 2015, 12:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

britwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond repute

I used Rainier both times. They pack everything. Cost about $3500. Easy to deal with.
Old Jul 1st 2015, 1:18 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by moggi1964
We are using First Class Movers and pricing is competitive and communication has been good. We too are moving from NJ but to Manchester.

We are moving a family of three and it will cost $13,000 plus insurance including packing by the movers and unpacking at the other end.

If I get a chance I will post our packing experience before we leave on July 14th.

I also had Ilovemoving (I think) quote and they were very close to that figure and are very well rated. We picked the more local one but could easily have gone with the other.

Good luck and hope this helps.
Hi, thanks for your reply, How much are you moving? Does that include furniture?
Old Jul 3rd 2015, 12:29 am
Forum Regular

Sent you a PM.
Old Jul 4th 2015, 3:59 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by moggi1964
Sent you a PM.

Thanks so much for all the info and help !
Old Jul 5th 2015, 11:13 pm
Forum Regular

My pleasure. Don't hesitate to get in touch if you have any questions/concerns.

Best of luck.
Old Jul 7th 2015, 10:49 pm
Just Joined

I would like to take my sewing machine back ... would it work with an adapter?
Old Jul 7th 2015, 11:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mandevilla
I would like to take my sewing machine back ... would it work with an adapter?
After some investigation I was told by a manufacturer that you would need to convert both voltage and frequency otherwise the machine would not work correctly.

Voltage converters are not inexpensive if you want a good one but a voltage and frequency converter is very expensive.

Now this advice was for a 10 year old electronic machine so it is possible some machines can do it.

Tell us what make and model and maybe someone here has experience that may be applicable.
Old Jul 8th 2015, 1:06 am
Just Joined

It's a Brother Runway innov- is 80

it must be about 8 years old.

Thanks for investigating !

Anyone know about computers?

Last edited by mandevilla; Jul 8th 2015 at 1:20 am.
Old Jul 8th 2015, 6:14 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Computers are not a problem. If you have a laptop, it will be dual voltage and all you will need is a plug adaptor. If it is a desktop, there is usually a switch on the back for changing voltage. If it isn't clear, ask the manufacturer.

Printers, however, are a nightmare (in my experience). Some are dual voltage, but also check that you will be able to buy the ink cartridges in the UK. We came over with an Epson that was dual voltage, but then discovered the Epson cartridges for that model are only sold in N.Am.
Old Jul 8th 2015, 12:16 pm
Just Joined

Thank you !