Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Shipping some furniture and posessions from Canada to UK

Shipping some furniture and posessions from Canada to UK

Old Jun 7th 2017, 2:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of light
Default Shipping some furniture and posessions from Canada to UK

Hi everyone,

I'm once again looking for some advice regarding shipping back to the UK. We are currently living near in the Muskokas in Ontario and are moving back to the UK in mid September.
We don't want to ship all of our posessions back but probably have enough that we would need a 20foot container max although we probably wouldn't fill it.
When we moved out to Canada we had a shipping company that packed and wrapped everything and did the inventory etc.

Is anyone aware of any shipping companies that would drop a 20foot container and leave it here for a couple of weeks or longer to allow us to pack it and collect up everything we want to ship ourselves?
I have some possessions that are in another property about 3 hours drive from here but don't have space to store them where we are currently living so I'm trying to kill 2 birds with one stone so to speak and use the container for storage whilst organising.
I've had a quick search on here and don't even know if this route would be possible or even if we are allowed to pack and wrap and inventory our possessions ourself.
Can anyone provide any insight into whether this would be possible or what international movers they recommend.
Much appreciated
Tim
Old Jun 11th 2017, 11:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping some furniture and posessions from Canada to UK

Upakweship is a name that seems to come up often when discussing self-pack moving. However, as my shipper informed me when moving to Canada, customs may be more likely to open and check a container that has been self-packed (as shippers are less likely to pack a container and not declare everything on the inventory and, thereby risk their business license) and there may be a fee associated with this. I'm not 100% sure of the process going from Canada as I'm just starting to look into the process myself.
Old Jun 12th 2017, 12:48 pm
Down & Safe

Avon81 has a reputation beyond reputeAvon81 has a reputation beyond reputeAvon81 has a reputation beyond reputeAvon81 has a reputation beyond reputeAvon81 has a reputation beyond reputeAvon81 has a reputation beyond reputeAvon81 has a reputation beyond reputeAvon81 has a reputation beyond reputeAvon81 has a reputation beyond reputeAvon81 has a reputation beyond reputeAvon81 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping some furniture and posessions from Canada to UK

We're exploring this also, don't think we'd even need a 20' container (do they come in smaller sizes?)
Gotta weigh up the cost of shipping vs the cost of replacement I guess.