Wikiposts

shipping small things?

Old Oct 30th 2007, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

shazza1 will become famous soon enoughshazza1 will become famous soon enough
Question shipping small things?

hi guys,just wanna see if i could get some advice on the best way to move our stuff back to the uk,the thing is im not taking big things like furniture,a car etc as some of u might know im leaving all that to my daughter who is staying here i just want to take little things like photos,clothes,and other bits like that there are 4 of us going so would be like a few boxes id say. any info on this would be great
cheers
shaz xx
Old Oct 30th 2007, 10:23 pm
Forum Regular

Cindyloo will become famous soon enough
Default Re: shipping small things?

Originally Posted by shazza1
hi guys,just wanna see if i could get some advice on the best way to move our stuff back to the uk,the thing is im not taking big things like furniture,a car etc as some of u might know im leaving all that to my daughter who is staying here i just want to take little things like photos,clothes,and other bits like that there are 4 of us going so would be like a few boxes id say. any info on this would be great
cheers
shaz xx
Hi my son used Severn Sea's,they only had one box with personal item's like you, but going from UK to Oz
In his opinion he could not of asked for a better service,and we're using them when its our turn to join them.
After the first box the price goes down...but not sure what they paid,have a look at there web site.....Good Luck Cindy
Old Oct 30th 2007, 10:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Cindyloo
Hi my son used Severn Sea's,they only had one box with personal item's like you, but going from UK to Oz
In his opinion he could not of asked for a better service,and we're using them when its our turn to join them.
After the first box the price goes down...but not sure what they paid,have a look at there web site.....Good Luck Cindy
Sorry should have been Seven Sea's Worldwide
Old Nov 1st 2007, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

shazza1 will become famous soon enoughshazza1 will become famous soon enough

"thanks for that cindy i will look into them.
Old Nov 4th 2007, 12:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shazza1
cheers
shaz xx
Hi Shazza,
I was thinking the same thing last night, my friend phoned from the U.K and she was telling me just how much here new dining room funiture cost and I was amazed at how cheap it was...she sent me an e-mail with the picture of it and of here new leather suite...they looked really good quality but the price was so good....cheaper than what I have bought mine for here in Perth...so I started to think..."shall I sell most of our funiture and save on the shipping costs" but I also want to take personnel things home with us..picutres..baby things etc....so any info would be great.....I will read this thread with great interest.
Cheers
Jackie
Old Nov 7th 2007, 1:29 am
Forum Regular

Hi Jackie,don't know if this will help you.
My son and family has just moved from UK to OZ, shipping one tea chest over, with photo's and my Grandson toys....paperwork ect.

I have been advised to take every thing i can (when our time comes) as
they have been sooo shocked at the price's they are now having to pay to replace items they gave away here, and regretting they did not take the time and effort to ship it all. :curse:

I've decided not to ship larger pieces of furniture, but to take all smaller items even down to peg's !!!

Yes it does appear to be a lot less expensive here in UK.

Good Luck Cindy
Old Nov 7th 2007, 11:15 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jackie,don't know if this will help you.
My son and family has just moved from UK to OZ, shipping one tea chest over, with photo's and my Grandson toys....paperwork ect.

I have been advised to take every thing i can (when our time comes) as
they have been sooo shocked at the price's they are now having to pay to replace items they gave away here, and regretting they did not take the time and effort to ship it all. :curse:

I've decided not to ship larger pieces of furniture, but to take all smaller items even down to peg's !!!

Yes it does appear to be a lot less expensive here in UK.

Good Luck Cindy
Thanks Cindy, We bought over the major items ie dinning table/chairs lounge suits, fridge/freezer. I would say bring all the electrical equipment you can...not t.v's etc (I think the latest t.v's may work here or so I have been told) but you will have to spend big time to replace items.....beds (good quality ones here are expensive...computers etc also compaired to the U.K) most household things are more expensive here. I would say take everything you can it would be cheaper in the long run.

Good luck with everything and best wishes to your family for their new life in Aus
Jackie
Old Nov 7th 2007, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by brits1
Thanks Cindy, We bought over the major items ie dinning table/chairs lounge suits, fridge/freezer. I would say bring all the electrical equipment you can...not t.v's etc (I think the latest t.v's may work here or so I have been told) but you will have to spend big time to replace items.....beds (good quality ones here are expensive...computers etc also compaired to the U.K) most household things are more expensive here. I would say take everything you can it would be cheaper in the long run.

Good luck with everything and best wishes to your family for their new life in Aus
Jackie
Thanks for that Jackie.....nice to have another opinion, it will be to our advantage then and visit Argos when the time comes.. kettle,steamer,iron ect,can be bought very cheaply....and much easier to pack if they remain in there boxes.

If you paid a lot of money for your furniture.....would it not pay you to ship it over...on saying that, you could well spend that cash on new items once you get back home......swings and roundabouts.

My Son and family are in Brisbane...there finding it very hard at the moment,especially with the high cost of living, but they are giving it all they got and are very positive, my grandson loves his new life which helps the situation with his Mum and Dad concerns.

Can i ask where abouts in the UK you are moving back to.

Cindy
Old Nov 8th 2007, 11:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for that Jackie.....nice to have another opinion, it will be to our advantage then and visit Argos when the time comes.. kettle,steamer,iron ect,can be bought very cheaply....and much easier to pack if they remain in there boxes.

If you paid a lot of money for your furniture.....would it not pay you to ship it over...on saying that, you could well spend that cash on new items once you get back home......swings and roundabouts.

My Son and family are in Brisbane...there finding it very hard at the moment,especially with the high cost of living, but they are giving it all they got and are very positive, my grandson loves his new life which helps the situation with his Mum and Dad concerns.

Can i ask where abouts in the UK you are moving back to.

Cindy
We are from near Mancheser, we lived in Danebank were my side of the family live, my oh is from Stalybridge, we are heading back to either Marple or Werneth Low. It is hard to settle in at first, when we came 9 years ago I did find a lot of things more expensive than home but certain things like petrol and cars were cheaper and homes but these last 3 years everything has really become more expensive that at home....our salaries do not rise to match this so a lot of families have to have two full time working parents to just "get by".....ofcourse if you have been here for years and have "made it" or have come over with a lot of money it is different but you will still find it expensive.

We have been to Queensland it is a lot greener than W.A and nearer to the other Eastern States so you do not feel so isolated as you can feel in W.A

My Dad was going to retire here, he enjoys visiting us but when push came to shove he decided to stay at home, he has an excellent social life and he enjoys "popping" over to Europe whenever he wants...we understand I would not come over if I had his lifestyle either!!!!

Maybe when you join your family in Brisbane they will settle quicker, it does help if you have family with you (we did not know a sole here and still have do not have family here, they love to visit us, we are like a hotel in Sring,Summer and Autumn).

Anyway good luck and all the best.
Take care
Jackie
Old Nov 10th 2007, 3:17 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by brits1
We are from near Mancheser, we lived in Danebank were my side of the family live, my oh is from Stalybridge, we are heading back to either Marple or Werneth Low. It is hard to settle in at first, when we came 9 years ago I did find a lot of things more expensive than home but certain things like petrol and cars were cheaper and homes but these last 3 years everything has really become more expensive that at home....our salaries do not rise to match this so a lot of families have to have two full time working parents to just "get by".....ofcourse if you have been here for years and have "made it" or have come over with a lot of money it is different but you will still find it expensive.

We have been to Queensland it is a lot greener than W.A and nearer to the other Eastern States so you do not feel so isolated as you can feel in W.A

My Dad was going to retire here, he enjoys visiting us but when push came to shove he decided to stay at home, he has an excellent social life and he enjoys "popping" over to Europe whenever he wants...we understand I would not come over if I had his lifestyle either!!!!

Maybe when you join your family in Brisbane they will settle quicker, it does help if you have family with you (we did not know a sole here and still have do not have family here, they love to visit us, we are like a hotel in Sring,Summer and Autumn).

Anyway good luck and all the best.
Take care
Jackie
Thanks for that Jackie,i know Manchester but not the places you mentioned.
I phoned my D-I-L today and there missing there friends like H***,and it's hurting so much, think i caught them at a bad time, my grandson ( 12 yrs) has settled in and enjoying his new life.
They have been unable to find jobs...which is a problem,there savings are going on just living, so these are getting smaller.
Sure once they find work and meet people they will be more positive...but at the moment there lonely and i think very frightened of the future.
You have been down this road I'm sure, so you know where they are coming from...early days only having arrived in OZ August.
Feel better for talking to you.
Take care
Cindy
Old Nov 11th 2007, 9:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for that Jackie,i know Manchester but not the places you mentioned.
I phoned my D-I-L today and there missing there friends like H***,and it's hurting so much, think i caught them at a bad time, my grandson ( 12 yrs) has settled in and enjoying his new life.
They have been unable to find jobs...which is a problem,there savings are going on just living, so these are getting smaller.
Sure once they find work and meet people they will be more positive...but at the moment there lonely and i think very frightened of the future.
You have been down this road I'm sure, so you know where they are coming from...early days only having arrived in OZ August.
Feel better for talking to you.
Take care
Cindy
Yes we did not know anyone at all when we arrived it was pretty awful, my husband ended up Hob Carrying....(he worked for B.T and had a pretty good job) so it was a horrible time...we did get through it....but I know that work is not as easy to come by if you want a certain type of work...and it is a heck of a lot more expensive than we came......you just have to stick with it if it is what you really want....it is not as easy as they make out on the t.v programmes we watched while over in the U.K......Christams is coming up and that is the worst part if it is your first and you are struggling but a few phone calls home and a good old chat gets you through..it is just different...it does take time to make good friends as we most have known our friends back home for years for ever even....so you have to give it time here as well.
I hope all goes well for you all, I really do know how your family is feeling...we really did think was it worth it for the first two years....as I said if you think it is right you just have to try and get through it....some people come over and settle in straight away......which is lovely...when you come over it will be easier on your family here because at least you can help out if needed.....a lot don't have that...and you will have them to come and settle you in here as well which will be nice for you.
All the best...take care and good luck...I really wish you well.
Jackie
Old Nov 11th 2007, 11:13 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Jackie,Ive printed your last to send over to them,hope it's OK with you ?
Had a long talk to them yesterday ( 2hrs )and it appears that having no work is the cause of most of there concerns,along with being with each other 24/7... so he's taking his Heavy Goods Driving Test again end of November,and has made an appointment at the Job Centre just to make sure that they do understand the situation and he will take any position that he's able to.
We talked about Xmas,and i was very pleased to hear that they are making plans (at least they will be staying till then ) and explained that we will be missing them as well, but once we are together we can make up for it and have the best one ever..... did promise them a visit in the new year if that would help.....have to wait and see what happens.

Those TV prog's are very misleading, making it look all soooooo easy, and actually planting seed of Golden Opportunity,which I'm sure it can be for some......but I've not seen the ones that show how hard it is to find jobs,or rental's along with the heartache this can bring.

I sure you are very excited at coming home and being with your family..but will also have the knowledge you have done many wonderful things with memories to last a life time,how nice is that, bet your Dad cant wait for you to join him on one of his many social evenings.

Take Care

Cindy