British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Shipping small container to UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/shipping-small-container-uk-946704/)

ExBritFL Jan 11th 2023 12:06 am

Shipping small container to UK

Hello all!

It's been a while since posting on here. We visited the UK in November and it was certainly an experience. My daughter had some taster days with a couple of independent schools ~ one was not great, the other was! So, we are planning our move (yikes) for around June / July. All in all, it felt great to be back "home".

Next project will be trying to find a home; but I'll save the details for another post :) Our house over here is now sold so we are renting in the interim before our move.

I'm considering taking a small amount of stuff; mainly books and some sentimental things and not planning to take any furniture. Somebody recommended looking at DHL for a small shipment but I'm thinking it will be expensive. I did get a quote today from Sprint Movers for a 50 cubic ft container for around $3,100.00. To me that seems really high to just ship a few books / albums / clothes etc.
Would really like some alternative recommendations or ideas please.

Thanks in advance for any tips. :)

Drewb7777 Mar 12th 2023 4:45 am

Re: Shipping small container to UK

Hi there, I just wanted to check in to see if you found any good options for shipping back to the UK? We are going to be shipping kitchen stuff, books and art work back and wondered if you had an info to share? Thanks!

verystormy Mar 12th 2023 5:40 am

If they operate in your country then look at MoveCube.

Slalomdude Mar 12th 2023 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by ExBritFL (Post 13164845)
Hello all!

It's been a while since posting on here. We visited the UK in November and it was certainly an experience. My daughter had some taster days with a couple of independent schools ~ one was not great, the other was! So, we are planning our move (yikes) for around June / July. All in all, it felt great to be back "home".

Next project will be trying to find a home; but I'll save the details for another post :) Our house over here is now sold so we are renting in the interim before our move.

I'm considering taking a small amount of stuff; mainly books and some sentimental things and not planning to take any furniture. Somebody recommended looking at DHL for a small shipment but I'm thinking it will be expensive. I did get a quote today from Sprint Movers for a 50 cubic ft container for around $3,100.00. To me that seems really high to just ship a few books / albums / clothes etc.
Would really like some alternative recommendations or ideas please.

Thanks in advance for any tips. :)

After selling our Fla home last year, we moved our stuff (mainly personal effects, no furniture) into a 20x10 storage unit. I have been quoted $6k for a 20ft shipping container. The quotes were wildly different with one guy quoting $15k and got abusive when i told him he was way out of the ballpark. From what i have seen and read, it's like the Wild west when it comes to shipping companies, plenty of crooks out there. I went with a recommendation from someone who had recently moved back on Facebook. Its a company in Deerfield Beech. He did also quote me for smaller quantities. Pricing was per pallet, where they pick up your boxes, shrink wrap on a pallet and put into a shared container. Let me know if you want his info.