Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Shipping situation from USA to UK

Shipping situation from USA to UK

Old Nov 21st 2021, 5:33 am
BE Enthusiast

getoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping situation from USA to UK

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
I'll be interested to see how long it takes.

It would help to know if we will be without furniture for one month or three.
Container finally arrived this week and we have been busy unpacking. We left Canada on the 18th July and our when our belongings finally arrived it was such a relief. We were constantly let down which seemed like Groundhog Day to the point we didn’t believe anything the shippers told us.
What I can advise is be prepared. We were told 5-6 weeks in the beginning and didn’t prepare for the length of time it would actually take. We watched packed one suitcase full of summer clothes when we left Canada. We moved into our UK house in mid August and had to buy or borrow many items to get us through. It has been a long and at times very uncomfortable for us especially through the fall.
Old Nov 21st 2021, 7:37 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations on finally getting all your stuff!!
Old Nov 21st 2021, 3:20 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by getoutofbritainquick
Container finally arrived this week and we have been busy unpacking. We left Canada on the 18th July and our when our belongings finally arrived it was such a relief. We were constantly let down which seemed like Groundhog Day to the point we didn’t believe anything the shippers told us.
What I can advise is be prepared. We were told 5-6 weeks in the beginning and didn’t prepare for the length of time it would actually take. We watched packed one suitcase full of summer clothes when we left Canada. We moved into our UK house in mid August and had to buy or borrow many items to get us through. It has been a long and at times very uncomfortable for us especially through the fall.
Any advice on how everything can be timed better? I think we’re going to need to buy quickly and ahead of actually leaving because rents are crazy high in our area. Trying to figure out timing re selling and leaving is tricky.
Old Nov 21st 2021, 3:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

getoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
Any advice on how everything can be timed better? I think we’re going to need to buy quickly and ahead of actually leaving because rents are crazy high in our area. Trying to figure out timing re selling and leaving is tricky.
We looked at property from Canada on Zoopla and found what we wanted. I had my brother view the place before I put an offer in. Most of the work was done before we left Canada. We had to quarantine for 10 days which was a real pane because we could not get out to view the property for ourselves. The person we were buying from was really pushy and wanted us to exchange before we viewed the place. I refused and had a full buildings survey done, in the end it was him who wasn't ready with a mortgage as we were cash buyers.
We had major issues with credit ratings etc. because we were out of the country for so long. It wasn't easy especially as our belongings weren't with us.
Dont underestimate the issues with not having your belongings with you - it can get very expensive buying things you already have.
Old Nov 21st 2021, 8:54 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

We looked at property from Canada on Zoopla and found what we wanted. I had my brother view the place before I put an offer in. Most of the work was done before we left Canada. We had to quarantine for 10 days which was a real pane because we could not get out to view the property for ourselves. The person we were buying from was really pushy and wanted us to exchange before we viewed the place. I refused and had a full buildings survey done, in the end it was him who wasn't ready with a mortgage as we were cash buyers.
We had major issues with credit ratings etc. because we were out of the country for so long. It wasn't easy especially as our belongings weren't with us.
Dont underestimate the issues with not having your belongings with you - it can get very expensive buying things you already have.
Thanks. So how long did it take you to get your belongings?

Congrats. It must feel so nice to have all your things around you again!
Old Nov 22nd 2021, 4:45 am
BE Enthusiast

About 4 months. The removals left on the 14th July.
Old Nov 22nd 2021, 6:55 am
vh3
Forum Regular

vh3 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am so happy that you have been reunited with your belongings, You could not have wished for a better early Christmas present. Now that the weather has turned colder you will be glad to gain access to all your stuff.
Old Nov 22nd 2021, 7:00 am
vh3
Forum Regular

We left Canada on Sept 19 but our stuff was just loaded onto the vessel in YVR yesterday. There had been delays and we currently have an ETA of January 2. We are expecting further delays but so far it hasn’t been a problem as we don’t move into our new home until Jan 26. The delays have meant not moving into unfurnished and then paying to move again or paying for excess storage. We are renting Airbnb but managed to get decent discount given them time of year and the need for having a place longer than most. We worked out renting a furnished place with all the bills isn’t that different to what we are currently doing. Is it expensive, yet but we classed it all as moving costs.

Old Nov 22nd 2021, 11:22 am
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

About 4 months. The removals left on the 14th July.
Good to hear you finally received your shipment. It looks like the removal company had poor communication with the shipping line. The shipping situation would have been clear, the delays did not happen overnight, to give you incomplete and inaccurate just makes a bad situation worse.
As we load our own containers I am direct contact with the shippers.
Old Nov 22nd 2021, 11:27 am
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vh3
We left Canada on Sept 19 but our stuff was just loaded onto the vessel in YVR yesterday. There had been delays and we currently have an ETA of January 2. We are expecting further delays but so far it hasn’t been a problem as we don’t move into our new home until Jan 26. The delays have meant not moving into unfurnished and then paying to move again or paying for excess storage. We are renting Airbnb but managed to get decent discount given them time of year and the need for having a place longer than most. We worked out renting a furnished place with all the bills isn’t that different to what we are currently doing. Is it expensive, yet but we classed it all as moving costs.

As mentioned previously ask for the vessel and voyage number then you can follow it on Marine Tracking. If it is heading to Southampton or Felixstowe be prepared for it to be diverted to Rotterdam or Hamburg.
Old Nov 22nd 2021, 6:41 pm
vh3
Forum Regular

Yes, we have been told the vessel will be going via Rotterdam. Vessle finder is now our most watched website.
Old Feb 8th 2022, 8:40 pm
Just Joined

MGH888 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ottotheboar
I was speaking to my agent in the UK today and the situation regarding shipping from the USA to the UK is pretty bleak.
Prices from the USA to the UK have levelled around $1500 for a forty foot container ocean freight from Norfolk to Liverpool.
Wondering if you are connected to the shipping industry - if you can recommend a door to door company? I am not moving for a little while but in prep I got a quote today for $4200 door to door, North Carolina to North of England.
Thanks !
Old Feb 9th 2022, 2:27 am
BE Forum Addict

I am not connected to any shipping company but have been importing and exporting for close to 30 years. The information I post on the forum is based on my own experiences not gleaned from the news.
The last rate I was given before Christmas was $1900 ocean freight. We are around 120 miles from Norfolk Virginia the road freight at a guess would be $1400. If you are in the North East of the UK Felixstowe would be the port most likely used but due to congestion containers are now going to Rotterdam and Hamburg and brought to the final destination when space is available.
Wilmington NC may the port used the road freight will be calculated on the distance from the port.
The road freight in the UK on last container from Liverpool to the West Midlands was around 500 UK pounds.
I you would like another quote send Mark an email at [email protected], I have dealt with him for a long time.

Last edited by ottotheboar; Feb 9th 2022 at 2:32 am.
Old Feb 9th 2022, 11:02 am
Just Joined

MGH888 is an unknown quantity at this point

Much Appreciated ! Thank you.
Old Feb 9th 2022, 11:54 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ottotheboar
I am not connected to any shipping company but have been importing and exporting for close to 30 years. The information I post on the forum is based on my own experiences not gleaned from the news.
The last rate I was given before Christmas was $1900 ocean freight. We are around 120 miles from Norfolk Virginia the road freight at a guess would be $1400. If you are in the North East of the UK Felixstowe would be the port most likely used but due to congestion containers are now going to Rotterdam and Hamburg and brought to the final destination when space is available.
Wilmington NC may the port used the road freight will be calculated on the distance from the port.
The road freight in the UK on last container from Liverpool to the West Midlands was around 500 UK pounds.
I you would like another quote send Mark an email at [email protected], I have dealt with him for a long time.

Do you know if there is any expectation of shipping costs going back down at all to closer to "normal" any time soon? I've read different things in different places, with some saying a 30-40% reduction over the course of this year, others saying no improvement until 2023 at least.