Reload this Page >

Shipping and shared containers from Calgary to Uk

Shipping and shared containers from Calgary to Uk

Old Mar 20th 2012, 10:44 am
Forum Regular

Paws3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Shipping and shared containers from Calgary to Uk

Originally Posted by mrsl04
Hi all and jenny heading home. We live in Edmonton and are moving back at the end of June to London/Kent.....I'm guessing you don't want to try to share the shipping do you? I wonder if that is possible? We have about half a container and had a shared container on the way out in 2009. Not sure if this would work?? I have also been in touch with U HAul who have removal pods that you can ship yourself to the UK and pack yourself but I think this is a new thing. I am waiting for a quote now.....
I would be interested in the quote as well. How big are the pods? Can they be used for pieces of furniture?
Old Mar 20th 2012, 2:22 pm
Forum Regular

Back2UK has a spectacular aura aboutBack2UK has a spectacular aura aboutBack2UK has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Shipping and shared containers from Calgary to Uk

Originally Posted by jenny heading home
we are finally heading home to the UK in September. We were going to get a 20ft container and do diy shipping for $5800, although we are now thinking that it will be better for us to sell most of our stuff and just take back the bare minimum (things we cannot part with).
Has anyone had experience of shared containers or fedex etc?
Jenny

I am South of Calgary

All in service for 20cuft

Britannia
$12k
GB Liners
$11K
Pickfords
$12K

I would not pick Britannia now because of the poor communication. GB Liners I came out with them and I had no breakages at all.

I would love to know more about the self fill container, if you could send me a message.
Old Mar 20th 2012, 3:12 pm
Just Joined

BCCanuck is an unknown quantity at this point

Leaving on March 31st. 20' container $13K door to door from Vancouver to Kent.We're using Crown Relocations.

Transit time guesstimated at 6 weeks via Montreal. It was a bit cheaper ($12K) going via the Panama Canal but transit was 3 months.

We had a really cheap price ($5800) for just shipping the container from another company but by the time the extra pickup,delivery,transport,insurance, etc costs were added in it just wasn't worth the worry.
Old Mar 20th 2012, 10:44 pm
Forum Regular

Back2UK has a spectacular aura aboutBack2UK has a spectacular aura aboutBack2UK has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by BCCanuck
Leaving on March 31st. 20' container $13K door to door from Vancouver to Kent.We're using Crown Relocations.

Transit time guesstimated at 6 weeks via Montreal. It was a bit cheaper ($12K) going via the Panama Canal but transit was 3 months.

We had a really cheap price ($5800) for just shipping the container from another company but by the time the extra pickup,delivery,transport,insurance, etc costs were added in it just wasn't worth the worry.
That is good to know.

I also think that your container is less likely to be opened/delayed if using a full service company.
Old Mar 21st 2012, 1:28 am
Just Joined

jenny heading home is an unknown quantity at this point

hi back to uk, i need to do a few more posts before i can reply to your pm...when we came here just under 2 years ago, we did diy shipping then, so much cheaper by far. For a 20ft container from UK to Calgary it cost us 2400 pounds which saved us thousands. We have had a quote for a 20ft container diy shipping from calgary to uk, with tippet richardson, for $5800. I prefer to pack our own things as you know it is done properly and if anything is broke it is your own fault. I would never get a company to pack or load for me after now knowing how much more they charge just to do that. The paperwork is easy too.

We have just decided that we want a fresh start in the UK so are going to sell as much as we can. We are wanting to just take back approx quarter of a container, just sentimental stuff and maybe one of our beds, few pots & pans etc. I have asked tippet for a price, so see wht they come back with.

That pod sounds interesting. I would like to see how much those cost and how much they hold. I have just looked online at the short video which says how you can trust uhaul.....mmmmm the truck we used to move here in canada was dropping to bits lol
Old Mar 21st 2012, 3:42 am
Just Joined

jenny heading home is an unknown quantity at this point

when we shipped to canada, having done the diy shipping, our container was not opened, we were in customs 5 minutes and in took 4 weeks door to door, great service
Old Mar 21st 2012, 2:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jenny heading home
when we shipped to canada, having done the diy shipping, our container was not opened, we were in customs 5 minutes and in took 4 weeks door to door, great service
Thank you Jenny, that sounds a much cheaper alternative. Do you fill the container yourself?
Old Mar 24th 2012, 5:15 pm
Forum Regular

I am assuming all these quotes for >10K are for whole house removals right? also has anyone had experience with the company ExcessBaggage?
Old Mar 24th 2012, 10:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Paws3
I am assuming all these quotes for >10K are for whole house removals right? also has anyone had experience with the company ExcessBaggage?
Yes in my case.
Old Mar 25th 2012, 3:11 am
Just Joined

dawrant is an unknown quantity at this point

Excess Baggage were great London to Toronto - good value for money in 2004. Had a quote for the reverse trip this April and they weren't any different to AMJ Campbell and A Taylor, about $7k. We're self-packing instead now.
Old Mar 25th 2012, 6:49 pm
Forum Regular

I have a couple of questions on the DIY method. I have no problem packing the small stuff myself (in fact I want to do it) but what about furniture? Also if you self pack are you responsible for taking everything to a port and getting it in the container? and what happens at the other end?
Old Mar 25th 2012, 8:24 pm
Living in the Truman Show

gillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of light

Our container is coming direct to the house in Canada (on Tuesday) on back of a truck, 2.5 hours to load it then off to Toronto, train to Montreal then sail to Liverpool, checked in at customs put on truck and delivered to home, 2 hours to unpack.
We have hired 2 removal men to pack the container ($90 per hour for two) in Canada and its all hands on deck in the UK. We have saved around $5000 doing a self pack including paying for removal men in Canada.
Old Mar 26th 2012, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the info, I guess this works only if you need an entire container?
Old Mar 26th 2012, 6:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

morayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all
I am moving from us to scotland in May and went on the delta cargo website but really couldn't understand it. I am selling mostly everything before I go but I would like to take just a couple of boxes maybe 100lbs total weight do y ou know if anyone has done this if this kind of small shipment is available and h ow much it would cost. thanks so much
Old Mar 26th 2012, 6:21 pm
Just Joined

dawrant is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by morayeel
Hi all
I am moving from us to scotland in May and went on the delta cargo website but really couldn't understand it. I am selling mostly everything before I go but I would like to take just a couple of boxes maybe 100lbs total weight do y ou know if anyone has done this if this kind of small shipment is available and h ow much it would cost. thanks so much
I've done that before with Excess Baggage, don't remember the cost being too bad. You can request a quote from the UK website.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.