British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Shipping and shared containers from Calgary to Uk (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/shipping-shared-containers-calgary-uk-751906/)

jenny heading home Mar 17th 2012 11:50 pm

Shipping and shared containers from Calgary to Uk

we are finally heading home to the UK in September. We were going to get a 20ft container and do diy shipping for $5800, although we are now thinking that it will be better for us to sell most of our stuff and just take back the bare minimum (things we cannot part with).
Has anyone had experience of shared containers or fedex etc? :)

Moggiemiss Mar 18th 2012 1:34 am

Re: Shipping and shared containers from Calgary to Uk

Hi

I am having a shared container from Canada to UK. My quote is for 750 cubic feet in a 20' container. I did contemplate ditching everything apart from personal stuff, but when I weighed up the cost of getting rid of everything at this end and then replacing it in England, I decided to ship. It is not just the monetary cost, it is the time taken to get rid of stuff and then replace it. And I have animals so I had to take into account their comfort as well as mine.

I was told that they build partitions in the containers when they are shared to keep all your goods separate.

Good luck.

jenny heading home Mar 18th 2012 5:10 am

Do you mind me asking how much your quote was for? I had a friend who went back last year and for 84 boxes, she paid $4200 :ohmy: i couldnt believe it, i expected around half that cost considering you can take a full container for $5800

Paws3 Mar 18th 2012 1:43 pm

I am considering the same but was told more like 10K!!
Which companies are you using? Self pack or no?:starsmile:ps I will be shipping from NB

gillyd65 Mar 18th 2012 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by Paws3 (Post 9959257)
I am considering the same but was told more like 10K!!
Which companies are you using? Self pack or no?:starsmile:ps I will be shipping from NB

We're moving back to the UK, 20ft sole use container self pack Toronto to UK, $3,300. Rang our removers who brought us here for quote and they wanted $9,000 but that was a full service (packing and unpacking). $6,000 saving!?!?! just getting local removal guys to help pack the container, $75 per hour for two packers.

Moggiemiss Mar 19th 2012 1:51 am

Quote is for 6,800 pounds through Fox UK. that includes all packing at this end and then unpacking in UK.

Bearing in mind the remote location, I do not think that is too bad. marine insurance prefers that your goods are professionally packed by shippers so that is something to bear in mind.

Good luck!

dawrant Mar 19th 2012 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by gillyd65 (Post 9959799)
We're moving back to the UK, 20ft sole use container self pack Toronto to UK, $3,300. Rang our removers who brought us here for quote and they wanted $9,000 but that was a full service (packing and unpacking). $6,000 saving!?!?! just getting local removal guys to help pack the container, $75 per hour for two packers.

Now that I've had quotes from the professionals ($7k - $12k), I think I like the self pack option! Who are you working with for the container? Thanks

gillyd65 Mar 19th 2012 8:19 pm

I'll PM the details

dawrant Mar 19th 2012 8:38 pm

Can't open the message - is this a common problem?

gillyd65 Mar 19th 2012 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by dawrant (Post 9961639)
Can't open the message - is this a common problem?

do another couple of posts (doesn't matter what) then you can open it - think you have to post so many before you can use PM

dawrant Mar 19th 2012 8:44 pm

Thanks

mrsl04 Mar 19th 2012 11:51 pm

Hi all and jenny heading home. We live in Edmonton and are moving back at the end of June to London/Kent.....I'm guessing you don't want to try to share the shipping do you? I wonder if that is possible? We have about half a container and had a shared container on the way out in 2009. Not sure if this would work?? I have also been in touch with U HAul who have removal pods that you can ship yourself to the UK and pack yourself but I think this is a new thing. I am waiting for a quote now.....

Editha Mar 20th 2012 12:31 am

Hi. I'm subscribing to this thread. I'm in Edmo. We're not heading home until 2014, but I'm very interested in how people get on with shippers from Alberta.

sassrafrass Mar 20th 2012 1:41 am

Hi Jenny,

Just wondering how DIY shipping works as our quote was for $10,500........so we might consider DIY.

Who would you be using ?

gillyd65 Mar 20th 2012 8:20 am

Originally Posted by sassrafrass (Post 9962042)
Hi Jenny,

Just wondering how DIY shipping works as our quote was for $10,500........so we might consider DIY.

Who would you be using ?

I can let you all know how DIY works as we are doing it next week Toronto to UK. Watch this space.