Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Shipping a pet USA to UK without using a pet shipper

Shipping a pet USA to UK without using a pet shipper

Old Oct 9th 2021, 10:50 pm
Just Joined

lesleyeblen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Shipping a pet USA to UK without using a pet shipper

Renting to start with. I'll be staying with family until I find a place (obviously one that allows cats).
Old Oct 13th 2021, 6:29 pm
Forum Regular

E2Brutus is an unknown quantity at this point

I am ready to move back to the UK, but I can't do it until my Shiba Inu can get back too. When I called Virgin a few months ago they said they were not allowing any cargo dogs due to Covid. Their call center is 90 minutes wait so I don't know what the current status is - does anyone know if Virgin is allowing pet transport again yet?

I am wait listed on the Cunard NY-Southampton for next year with the kennels, but all travelers must be vaccinated, and since toddlers can't be vaccinated my son cant come. So I would take the dog, while my wife and son fly. It may sound tough, but seven days of peace and Kindle!
Old Oct 13th 2021, 10:04 pm
Just Joined

lesleyeblen is an unknown quantity at this point

I read recently that Virgin were restarting animal shipping in January 2022.
I hadn't thought about using Cunard - interesting....
Old Oct 13th 2021, 11:52 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lesleyeblen
I read recently that Virgin were restarting animal shipping in January 2022.
I hadn't thought about using Cunard - interesting....
The Queen Mary kennels are booked though at least the end of 2022. You can get wait listed but no idea if slots will become available. That's no way to plan an international move, imo, although I would love to go on the QM. Also, cats must have two upper kennels so you need two spots to open up - one kennel for the litter, the other for hanging out.
Old Oct 14th 2021, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

E2Brutus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
The Queen Mary kennels are booked though at least the end of 2022. You can get wait listed but no idea if slots will become available. That's no way to plan an international move, imo, although I would love to go on the QM. Also, cats must have two upper kennels so you need two spots to open up - one kennel for the litter, the other for hanging out.
outrageous that cats are taking up two spots! I will call Virgin when I have a spare 90 minutes to hold and let you know what the word is.
Old Oct 14th 2021, 7:11 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by E2Brutus
outrageous that cats are taking up two spots! I will call Virgin when I have a spare 90 minutes to hold and let you know what the word is.

Well cats consider everything to be theirs anyway, so it makes sense from their point of view.

To be fair though, dogs can go out and wander about on the dog deck and do their thing out there, whereas the poor cats are confined to their kennel for the duration.
Old Oct 14th 2021, 7:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

It's been a long time for me, but one thing I remember is the minimum size of the kennel requirement in the US was different to the UK. We also had to arrange pick up by the kennels to take the dog to quarantine seperately