Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Shipping from Perth to Galsgow.

Shipping from Perth to Galsgow.

Old Jun 10th 2007, 12:25 pm
Forum Regular

lang81 has much to be proud oflang81 has much to be proud oflang81 has much to be proud oflang81 has much to be proud oflang81 has much to be proud oflang81 has much to be proud oflang81 has much to be proud oflang81 has much to be proud oflang81 has much to be proud oflang81 has much to be proud oflang81 has much to be proud of
Default Shipping from Perth to Galsgow.

Hi guys,

This is my first post on this forum and after much thought (10 seconds or so) my wife and i have decided that we can no longer live life in Perth WA.

Sun and beaches ain't everything in life.

Anyway, we were thinking about shipping our furniture and appliances back to Scotland but we are not sure if things like TV, DVD, fridges etc would work there.
Any ideas ?

Also if anyone has shipped from WA to the UK can you let me know how much i would be paying for this service.

Thanks for any help.
Old Jun 10th 2007, 12:42 pm
Forum Regular

lang81 has much to be proud oflang81 has much to be proud oflang81 has much to be proud oflang81 has much to be proud oflang81 has much to be proud oflang81 has much to be proud oflang81 has much to be proud oflang81 has much to be proud oflang81 has much to be proud oflang81 has much to be proud oflang81 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Shipping from Perth to Galsgow.

Just found another thread with some info regarding the TV question, seems that there is no definite yes or no to this
Old Jun 10th 2007, 2:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

mick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lang81
Just found another thread with some info regarding the TV question, seems that there is no definite yes or no to this
If your TV is new(ish) I have been told it should work back in the UK with the help of a top box or sky.
We are still undecided whether to take our stuff back or sell it all here. Will watch this to see prices as well

Lynne
Old Jun 10th 2007, 4:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

chance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond repute

All electrical stuff is the same voltage so will be fine. We just changed the Oz-UK plugs in return and everything worked. "The Good Guys" where we bought the washing machine said it wouldnt work in Uk - but it does absolutely fine. I think they thought it snowed all the time here as they said thehumidity was wrong but that was crap as the same machine sells here in the UK anyway.
As someone else said, only worth sending back TV if newish and DVD player if multiregional. Tescos sell a "value" DVD player for £17.99 that just happens to be multiregional.
Old Jun 12th 2007, 11:01 pm
Forum Regular

grunty123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

We recently returned to Scotland and our cheapest quote was with Keys Bros. - $6000 for a 20ft container. We had to haggle a bit, but that was the best we could get. We didn't take their insurance - arranged our own via the internet - much cheaper than the quote from the shippers and coverage was comparable. Our stuff has arrived in the UK, but it's gone into storage, so can't yet say if it all made it safely. Keys Bros. agents in the UK is Shore Porters Society in Aberdeen and they have a good reputation, as far as we have heard. Hope this helps.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 6:12 pm
ian

mabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to all

Hi guys,

This is my first post on this forum and after much thought (10 seconds or so) my wife and i have decided that we can no longer live life in Perth WA.

Sun and beaches ain't everything in life.

Anyway, we were thinking about shipping our furniture and appliances back to Scotland but we are not sure if things like TV, DVD, fridges etc would work there.
Any ideas ?

Also if anyone has shipped from WA to the UK can you let me know how much i would be paying for this service.

Thanks for any help.
Hi

What couldn't you hack in Perth we were out on reccie at Christmas loved it but now I have serious doubts about going thinking it's a huge mistake alot of family things going on at the moment also.

Ok maybe I will regret it long term.

Do you have any family , what did you work as?

Was it just too much of a culture shock?

Thanks for the info
Old Jun 13th 2007, 9:49 pm
Forum Regular

grunty123 is an unknown quantity at this point

We went over with our 3 kids, but never went with the intention of staying - just for 2 or 3 years to allow us to see Oz whilst working from Perth. Had to cut short our visit in the end due to family illness back home, but managed to see a fair bit of the place while we were there. Loved our travels, had a great experience, but never wanted to stay for good. Lot to be said for some aspects of the lifestyle, but not home and weighing it all up our life at home was just as good, if not better. Loved Perth in some ways, but never 'in love' with it, if you know what I mean. I think it depends on what frame of mind you go with, ie. what your intentions are - if you go intending to stay for good, and what you leave behind. If what you find is better then why would you want to go back. For us it was a long way from home, from family and we just didn't feel a strong enough connection to ever want to stay there permanently. Having said all that, I would always advise anyone to go for it. You only regret the things in life you don't do, not those you do. It cost us a packet in the end and has set us back years financially, but we had a ball and have great memories and wouldn't change any of it for the world. The number of people who have said to us 'we wish we had the nerve to do that ..' - we've lost count.
Old Jun 14th 2007, 1:41 am
Forum Regular

fitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by mabozar
Hi

What couldn't you hack in Perth we were out on reccie at Christmas loved it but now I have serious doubts about going thinking it's a huge mistake alot of family things going on at the moment also.

Thanks for the info
if you're happy with your life in the uk, "DON'T GO" you'll miss way too many things and perth is ,in my humble opinion ,not all it's cracked up to be,great for a holiday,different kettle of fish when living here.
before,i would have said try it and see,at least then you won't think what might have been if you did'nt go to oz,but seriously ,it's a massive upheavel and cost and if you're happy at present,then i'd say save yourself the bother and money and don't go.
Old Jun 14th 2007, 2:26 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mabozar
Hi

Thanks for the info
If you like pubs, clubs and spending every weekend trailing round a high street shopping for trendy clothes or see a member of your family at least once a week. If you enjoy holidays to tenerife or some mini break at a european capital. If you can't cook proper food from scratch and rely on ready meals and frozen food to feed your family. If any of these things figure strongly in your life then reconsider your plans to come. If you have a reasonable standard of living, have money left at the end of the month then change your life there and don't put yourself through the turmoil of coming because it more than likely won't work.
Old Jun 14th 2007, 11:55 am
Forum Regular

Hi mabozar,

Perth just ain't for us. I did not realise how much i loved Glasgow until i started going about living here. It is just a big country town and i now realise that i love the way of life in Scotland.

I started a post in the Australia forum about my experiences here and it led to total mayhem with loads of bitching from people who either love it or hate it here.

When i came to Perth i foolishly thought that the sun and beaches would make life so much better, however the crime rate (the highest of any state in Australia), the traffic (Mitchell Freeway) and the dangerous driving (bumper to bumper at 100kph) are just some of the things that make life in Perth hell for us. :curse:

Strangely enough, i am glad that we gave it a go because if we never came out here i would have always thought , what if ?
Old Jun 14th 2007, 12:27 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Hi mabozar,

Perth just ain't for us. I did not realise how much i loved Glasgow until i started going about living here. It is just a big country town and i now realise that i love the way of life in Scotland.

I started a post in the Australia forum about my experiences here and it led to total mayhem with loads of bitching from people who either love it or hate it here.

When i came to Perth i foolishly thought that the sun and beaches would make life so much better, however the crime rate (the highest of any state in Australia), the traffic (Mitchell Freeway) and the dangerous driving (bumper to bumper at 100kph) are just some of the things that make life in Perth hell for us. :curse:

Strangely enough, i am glad that we gave it a go because if we never came out here i would have always thought , what if ?
how does a crime rate make it hell for you, you come from bloody Glasgow!
Old Jun 15th 2007, 4:23 am
Forum Regular

fitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by northernbird
how does a crime rate make it hell for you, you come from bloody Glasgow!
and by that you mean?please elaborate,or explain yourself please.
Old Jun 15th 2007, 8:24 am
BE Forum Addict

mick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond repute

Thought I would let you know just had some quotes for shipping back to the UK (Durham)
Wridgeways - full container $8,000K roughly and 1/2 shared $4,800 again roughly
Kents - full container $7,724 and 1/2 container $5,047.

Better had tell the OH to get some extra O/T in if he's wanting to to back.
Lynne
Old Jun 15th 2007, 8:33 am
Gutter Gob!!

Originally Posted by fitz
and by that you mean?please elaborate,or explain yourself please.
The OP states that Perth crime rate is one of the things that makes his/her life hell in Perth. However they come from Glasgow which I would imagine has a considerably higher crime rate in most types of crime.
Old Jun 15th 2007, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

Have you ever lived in Glasgow ? Until you have lived there then you can not cast aspersions

Yes there is crime, however i can honestly say that i have never seen so many reports on crime in the local news reports until i came to Perth.

Within the first few weeks of arriving here there was a young girl found dead in a wheelie bin !

Almost every night there are reports of car chases or car crashes. Joyriders tearing up the roads is very common here. This year there have been far more deaths on the roads in WA than at the same time last year.

Reports of people being "bashed" and stabbed.
car jacking
Biker gangs

I could go on.

Maybe i just never watched as much news back in Glasgow.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.