Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Shipping personal belongings US to UK

Shipping personal belongings US to UK

Old Feb 23rd 2019, 1:04 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping personal belongings US to UK

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
From what I've read over my years on the forum, $9k is really, really expensive for what you're getting.
West coast is a lot more expensive than east coast, and also it is likely that labor for packing and loading is going to be more because of Seattle's exceptionally high minimum wage rate.
Old Feb 23rd 2019, 4:05 pm
Just Joined

Littlered5 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, Pulaski, Seattle is an extremely expensive place to do pretty much anything. One of the reasons I'm happy to leave it behind. The high incomes here along with the high minmum wage and city/county/state taxes are along the lines of living in London. The 3 quotes showed me this was the going rate here for a 20' container. The cheapest of the 3 had 'hidden' costs involved. I went with the most comprehensive firm with the best overall reviews. I've moved internationally twice before but never on my dime, so to speak.

If these belongings are important enough to keep or are irreplaceable, I at least want them to show up in good nick.
Old Feb 23rd 2019, 8:07 pm
Just Joined

Tazley is an unknown quantity at this point

By coincidence our goods arrived today from Orlando in Dorset. We had a full packing and unloading service each end for a 40ft container ( 80% full ) for 9k dollars.
Old Feb 24th 2019, 2:46 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tazley
By coincidence our goods arrived today from Orlando in Dorset. We had a full packing and unloading service each end for a 40ft container ( 80% full ) for 9k dollars.
Florida is at the opposite corner of the country from Oregon, and not just geographically!

Joking aside, the actual transportation of a 20ft freight container costs about as much as a 40ft - it still takes one truck and one driver, it also takes one crane with one operator to load it and to unload it, and it still has one shipping document, one manifest, one customs declaration and incurs various related fees more or less irrespective of the size of the container.
And specific to the journey of your 40ft container, in Orlando you were likely a lot further from the port of loading, than someone who lives in Seattle, so the cost of the truck and driver was probably much more for you than for them.

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 24th 2019 at 2:52 am.
Old Feb 24th 2019, 6:18 am
Just Joined

Littlered5 is an unknown quantity at this point

I probably could have pared down my belongings a bit and just had a split shipment but was told the truck charges to get it to LA would likely bring it up to the cost of a 20' container. So, I thought, why shouldn't I take whatever fits and not worry about the weight, etc? Its true the costs are mostly the coordination, actual people handling the process and touching the goods, and customs forms and clearing at the other side - not the size of the container. I spent so much on the Visa to go to the UK that I'm (almost) over the sticker shock of the move. I'm selling a house here in Seattle and hoping my $$ work to my advantage in the UK, Brexit may or may not be a factor in that transaction.
Old Mar 19th 2019, 5:34 pm
Just Joined

CaptainPea is an unknown quantity at this point

We rented a cheap lock-up storage unit that was about the same size as our planned shipping container. And filled it over a period weeks before the move; it gave us a good idea of how much room we had to play with. You can get a whole lot in one of those containers once it is packed in. And we shoved a whole lot extra in at the last minute. Then we just had the shippers pick up our stuff directly out of storage. If anyone decides to follow that idea make sure that your storage unit is accessible for a big removals truck.

Richard.
Old Mar 19th 2019, 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by CaptainPea
We rented a cheap lock-up storage unit that was about the same size as our planned shipping container. And filled it over a period weeks before the move; it gave us a good idea of how much room we had to play with. You can get a whole lot in one of those containers once it is packed in. And we shoved a whole lot extra in at the last minute. Then we just had the shippers pick up our stuff directly out of storage. If anyone decides to follow that idea make sure that your storage unit is accessible for a big removals truck.

Richard.
Loading trucks/ containers is a special skill, not necessarily challenging, but something you either have a eye/feel for, or you don't. If you have fond memories of playing with Lego as a child then that is going to be as good a guide as any for whether you might have the knack.

You should use boxes of the same size and shape as much as possible, and make sure each box is packed full and tight, and then put heavy stuff, such as books and crockery on the bottom. Group furniture that fits/stacks together, such as dining chairs that can be turned one upside down and top of the other. The same sometimes works with two easy chairs upside down on a matching sofa.