Shipping Oz to Uk

Old Jul 3rd 2013, 2:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Shipping Oz to Uk

Just started trying to get some ball park figures for the cost of a move back to uk. (Brisbane ish to Southampton ish). We've decided we need to get it all in a 20ft container as that is what we came out with and the house was full then. anything more we'd just have to dump on arrival.

So anyone got recommendations/companies to avoid? What sort of cost am I looking at? I have contacted a couple of companies for ballpark figures but they're being pretty slow at giving me $$
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 6:12 am
Forum Regular

kampaicharger will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Shipping Oz to Uk

Bit like asking how long is a piece of string but "assuming" you can fill a 20' container then your easiest option would be "door to door" where the container is dropped at your place, you pack and fill the container it is then picked up and you next see it at your new address in the Uk where you unpack the container. There's lots of variables such as container acccess at both ends of the journey, insurance and demurrage (packing) time but costs one way are between $4000-$6000.

Alternatively, you go LCL in which case you need to provide an exact list of contents and sizes (shipping is based on volume rather than weight) before the freight forwarder can give you a quote. The more precise you are on size and contents the more precise the quote but as a general rule of thumb it's $80-$100 per chest size box.
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 6:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kampaicharger
Bit like asking how long is a piece of string but "assuming" you can fill a 20' container then your easiest option would be "door to door" where the container is dropped at your place, you pack and fill the container it is then picked up and you next see it at your new address in the Uk where you unpack the container. There's lots of variables such as container acccess at both ends of the journey, insurance and demurrage (packing) time but costs one way are between $4000-$6000.

Alternatively, you go LCL in which case you need to provide an exact list of contents and sizes (shipping is based on volume rather than weight) before the freight forwarder can give you a quote. The more precise you are on size and contents the more precise the quote but as a general rule of thumb it's $80-$100 per chest size box.
Oh we'll fill a 20 ft no problem....getting it down to that will be the hard part . I just got my first quote back with us packing boxes but them wrapping furniture and it was $10k More research to be done obviously
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 8:48 am
Forum Regular

SUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to behold

We are doing the same at the moment. we tried wridgeways but couldn't get them to call back... Brit 1 suggested chess who came round today a fall container door to door they pack and unpack $7500 for half a container $4500 there are lot of variables like time for half container to get there packing yourself would be cheaper i dont know what you save tho.

Its worth checking the replacement value as well especially if you are close to upgrading
who was the 10k quote from?
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 9:23 am
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute

I used Wridgeways when I moved back as they were great on the phone and quite cheap but then they literally smashed so much of my stuff I was devastated!!!

My stuff went back 6 months before me so I knew about my smashed antique coffee table and broken crockery from my parents who unpacked for me. I got a measly compensation from Wridgways and they were so rude and unhelpful it was just awful.

Since coming home I've found they broke my washing machine, smashed up my pushbike and damaged a trunk which was a favourite of mine. Nearly every single piece of crockery is chipped and I am fuming!!!!

Don't be fooled by their slick patter, they are crap and don't just take my word for it, go and have a look online at customer reviews which say they are just dreadful, I certainly wish I had.

So do yourself a favour and STAY AWAY from these cowboys, trust me!!!

Last edited by MissBetty; Jul 3rd 2013 at 10:19 am.
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 9:31 am
Forum Regular

SUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to behold

MissBetty...we Pretty much gave up on them when we phoned 3 times and they didnt even return our call...Brit 1 gave me Chess but my other thread was hijacked and didnt get any other recommendations..

looking at what Safin posted i may just work with Chess nice helpful guy and a family business
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 10:25 am
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SUPERCAD
MissBetty...we Pretty much gave up on them when we phoned 3 times and they didnt even return our call...Brit 1 gave me Chess but my other thread was hijacked and didnt get any other recommendations..

looking at what Safin posted i may just work with Chess nice helpful guy and a family business
You had a lucky escape believe me!
Old Jul 4th 2013, 4:44 am
BE Forum Addict

On our way here Wridgeways were the Aussie end and we had a few breakages and they weren't very helpful. Lucky our insurance from letton percival was excellent and covered it all with little hassle.

Never heard of Chess - will look them up.

$10k was Overseas Packers.
AU$9,555.00 via 1 x 20’ sole use container service loaded to capacity door to door service with normal customs clearance and normal street access to ground/first floor residence for the personal effects. The quote excludes packing of your personal effects, but includes export wrapping your furniture items, preparation of export inventory, loading and transportation, terminal handling charges, sea freight, customs clearance, delivery, unpacking to a flat surface, placement of furniture and removal of used packing material on the day of delivery
Old Jul 4th 2013, 12:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

OSS World Wide Movers seem good, we've used them to ship some boxes to the UK and keep a container full in storage in Melbourne. I believe they have an office in Brisbane. We originally got them to quote on a sole use 20ft container from Melbourne to UK, and with the doing all the packing and wrapping it came in just a little over $7,200 from memory.
Old Jul 5th 2013, 2:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

We paid 10k ozzie in Feb for a 20' Brisbane to Cheshire, full wrap and unwrap both ends including insurance. Delivery was just under 4 weeks door to door
Company was Crown relocations.

Using them again for Cheshire to Dubai and it was 4k GBP and delivery is 7 weeks !!