Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

shipping nightmare! (question)

Wikiposts

shipping nightmare! (question)

Old Aug 1st 2008, 4:08 pm
Forum Regular

island.girl has a brilliant futureisland.girl has a brilliant futureisland.girl has a brilliant futureisland.girl has a brilliant futureisland.girl has a brilliant futureisland.girl has a brilliant future
Unhappy shipping nightmare! (question)

we had our stuff packed up a couple of days ago by a company called oceansky, originaly i was pretty pleased with our qoute of just over $3000 for a shared container, but now they want to charge us an extra $1000, as they say its over the qoute! maybe it is but ive gone through and through the original qoute comparing with what actually got sent, and there is little difference, i say its the way they packed it- bastards!! i guess we'll find out when we unpack the other side.

the woman i have spoken to about it has been so rude to me, offering only for us to collect the 'extra' stuff and not have it sent, which im not going to do, obviously i need the stuff.

also the guys who packed have shoved a couple of our own box's in without repacking them, toys and clothes etc, calling it a 'packed by owner' box which is void of the insurance, lazy bugger! thanks a lot mate.

anyway basically we have to pay the extra money which im not happy about, but have no choice.

now im wondering if there are likely to be any extra charges once we enter UK, as money is getting tighter, anyone answer this??

thnaks
Old Aug 1st 2008, 7:08 pm
Niamh,Paul + 4 :)

Baby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: shipping nightmare! (question)

Originally Posted by island.girl
we had our stuff packed up a couple of days ago by a company called oceansky, originaly i was pretty pleased with our qoute of just over $3000 for a shared container, but now they want to charge us an extra $1000, as they say its over the qoute! maybe it is but ive gone through and through the original qoute comparing with what actually got sent, and there is little difference, i say its the way they packed it- bastards!! i guess we'll find out when we unpack the other side.

the woman i have spoken to about it has been so rude to me, offering only for us to collect the 'extra' stuff and not have it sent, which im not going to do, obviously i need the stuff.

also the guys who packed have shoved a couple of our own box's in without repacking them, toys and clothes etc, calling it a 'packed by owner' box which is void of the insurance, lazy bugger! thanks a lot mate.

anyway basically we have to pay the extra money which im not happy about, but have no choice.

now im wondering if there are likely to be any extra charges once we enter UK, as money is getting tighter, anyone answer this??

thnaks
thats awful for you, i dont know the answer but hope its all ok double check if its legal what they are doing though
Old Aug 1st 2008, 7:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, things really are moving ahead for you quickly!!! A 30% hike does smack of incompetence on their part I reckon, that's a substantial difference and they surely cant have misjudged so much (unless you had a whole heap of stuff under the house that they didnt see!). Sorry, got no idea about whether there will be other charges when the stuff arrives - I sure hope not.

When are you off?
Old Aug 1st 2008, 7:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

tillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to behold

we had the same problem with Britannia manchester on the way out here thats why I wouldnt use chess from here to uk as they use them uk side. Britannia came out gave us a quote and whilst we where at the airport rang us and wanted another 550 quid pay up or get someone to come and pick up some stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chess never charged us extra this side.... thank god....
good luck
Old Aug 1st 2008, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

island.girl has a brilliant futureisland.girl has a brilliant futureisland.girl has a brilliant futureisland.girl has a brilliant futureisland.girl has a brilliant futureisland.girl has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by quoll
Wow, things really are moving ahead for you quickly!!!

When are you off?

middle of october were going. sure the next few weeks will slide away, unfortunatly

there were a few extra items, BUT there were a few items off the original qoute that were not sent! in my mind it should have kind of evened out ok.
$1000 is a lot extra!! thats theprice of a car on our return (we have limited funds)
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 6:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud of

Sounds like our experience with Anglo Pacific!! Log your complaint before you leave...if it is Anglo Pacific PM me, I can give you some names.

Good luck with your move
Old Aug 4th 2008, 1:33 am
itchy feet again!

Jay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by island.girl

thnaks
Hi island.girl......I'd make absolutely sure that your fee includes customs clearance and delivery to your chosen address. E-mail them and get a reply by e-mail, then you have it writing...assuming you don't already. I've kept all my correspondence with our shippers in Ontario, and just this morning had a call from the UK company, who said we had to go down to Southampton (from Manchester!!) to collect our stuff when it arrives in a couple of weeks. I don't think so! I've sent them a copy of all the e-mails from our Canadian shippers, and suggested they (the UK lot) contact them (the Canadian lot) for confirmatuon.
So many of them are exploiting the oil price increase, and once they've got your stuff there's not a whole lot you can do about it......and that's what they count on, cheeky buggers. Our quote was increased by over $1000 the day after the price hike was announced, by which time they'd already collected our stuff. I'm beginning to wish we'd sold the lot in that garage sale we had!