British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Shipping household goods from Chicago to Liverpool (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/shipping-household-goods-chicago-liverpool-911695/)

minhan Apr 14th 2018 8:44 pm

Shipping household goods from Chicago to Liverpool

I'm looking for recommendations for a good (reasonable price) shipping company to move our households goods back to Liverpool this coming August.

Please share.

Thanks.

Caroline in Arizona Apr 14th 2018 10:11 pm

Re: Shipping household goods from Chicago to Liverpool

We are moving back to Scotland in July. At first we thought we would take most of our furniture. Now we are taking a few special pieces. The company that we are thinking of is UPakWeShip.

minhan Apr 16th 2018 2:17 pm

Hi Caroline,

Thank you for your response. Do you mind to share the reason why of changing from taking most furnitures to a few? Is that the cost of shipping? We have been collected furnitures from country to country. The move to the UK will be a new destination for the family so we don't want to go out to buy new furnitures for the new home.

I also think of bringing my lamps collection to UK. Luckily, we can buy the lamp wire kit.

Caroline in Arizona Apr 16th 2018 4:51 pm

It may work out very well for your family to take most of your furniture back especially your lamp collection. Most of our furniture is nothing special. At first what seemed like a good idea no longer does due to logistics, cost, and the desire to travel light. My DH is now 99% sure that our Lord of the Rings pinball machine will NOT be coming with us back to Scotland. That has been a process for my DH in letting go as it’s been a very happy part of our family for almost 20 years with many memories of family/friends competitions. Good luck in your decision-making!

spouse of scouse Apr 16th 2018 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by Caroline in Arizona (Post 12482762)
It may work out very well for your family to take most of your furniture back especially your lamp collection. Most of our furniture is nothing special. At first what seemed like a good idea no longer does due to logistics, cost, and the desire to travel light. My DH is now 99% sure that our Lord of the Rings pinball machine will NOT be coming with us back to Scotland. That has been a process for my DH in letting go as it’s been a very happy part of our family for almost 20 years with many memories of family/friends competitions. Good luck in your decision-making!

We were pretty much the same Caroline, with our move from Australia to the UK (hi from Merseyside Minhan!).

Although Scouse had some lovely furniture, it was his and his first wife's (dec), and mine was nothing special. It was lovely to choose things together for the first home we'd bought jointly.

I had a chuckle when I read about your partner's pinball machine, although I do understand the sentiment behind it. It was exactly the same with us - scouse was fine with leaving all the furniture etc but his 3 huge, signed and framed in glass football shirts had to come with us.

And three years later, as we work through the 1,001 tasks before returning to Oz, apparently the bloody things are coming back with us - they were never even unpacked :blink: :lol: