British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Shipping foodstuffs (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/shipping-foodstuffs-820143/)

DCLMS Jan 3rd 2014 5:35 pm

Shipping foodstuffs

Does anyone have any knowledge on shipping non-perishable foods from US to UK? I'm talking about sealed/unopened cans, jars, boxes etc. which I would hope to have included in the container - is that possible? I know there are restrictions on perishables but can't seem to find any information on things like candies, chocolates, jams, cookies etc. I don't want the excess weight in our flight luggage as I need to travel light :)

Mummy in the foothills Jan 3rd 2014 5:43 pm

Re: Shipping foodstuffs

I'm not sure what is restricted, we did get asked if there where any foods in our shipping, but I had decided to just get rid of it all before the move. Most went to the food pantry and a few bit went to my friends house. (Open sugar, flour etc.)

Pulaski Jan 4th 2014 11:50 pm

It's generally a bad idea, and more trouble than it's worth. Most of the restrictions are on meats, that may for one reason on another, be considered "risky", e.g. might be contaminated with foot and mouth disease. Certain meats are also banned for conservation reasons even if farmed sustainably in the US, such as alligator and turtle meat.

Anything you do decide to ship should be sealed in metal or glass boxes, jars or containers to prevent the risk of the food attracting rodents, which will gnaw their way in through cardboard and plastic food packaging and contsiners, and wooden packing crates.

Sally Redux Jan 4th 2014 11:53 pm

I don't think it's a good idea.

Someone sent me a box of chocolate reindeer for Christmas, the scene on opening the box was straight out of The Thing.

britishspouse Jan 6th 2014 1:41 am

My family and I send food items back and forth regularly.

Things I am normally requested to send include chocolates, cookies, baking mixes (i.e cake, cookie), cereal bars and cereal, sweets and some sauce mixes. Normally fill up a big box and it costs about $80 USD to send. List it all on the customs form, and it gets there in pretty good shape and time normally.

Just send one to my sister for xmas it cost $78 and she got it in 5 days.

lgabriel73 Jan 6th 2014 4:44 pm

Mum sends me chocolate all the time and never had any issue. I also always bring stuff back in mys suitcase after trips home without issue. I personally wouldnt ship food items in with furniture and personal belongings though. Takes a long time and there could be health issues or it could be ruined when you get it.

London1947 Jan 11th 2014 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by DCLMS (Post 11061500)
Does anyone have any knowledge on shipping non-perishable foods from US to UK? I'm talking about sealed/unopened cans, jars, boxes etc. which I would hope to have included in the container - is that possible? I know there are restrictions on perishables but can't seem to find any information on things like candies, chocolates, jams, cookies etc. I don't want the excess weight in our flight luggage as I need to travel light :)

LOL my Wife shipped from US/UK tins of Tuna, Jif peanut butter and various other non perishables. No problen at all.

asher Jan 13th 2014 8:14 am

it depends on your shipper and whether it will be in storage at all, ask the shipper as they all have different rules

Ranthael Jan 24th 2014 1:00 am

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 11063250)
I don't think it's a good idea.

Someone sent me a box of chocolate reindeer for Christmas, the scene on opening the box was straight out of The Thing.

I agree. Not a good idea:)