Wikiposts

Shipping a few boxes

Old Jan 15th 2011, 11:44 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping a few boxes

Originally Posted by Sentosa
Checked into this. Virgin let you take up to 10 cases the 1st one free the
2nd $78 and each one after that $112. The problem with taking so many is they wouldn't fit in my sons car at the other end.
If significantly cheaper to do this way just factor in renting a car at airport or airport shuttle van that could take ten bags. When we moved to Hong Kong we had van/limo pick us up with 14 suitcases in tow.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 12:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Sentosa, have you gotten any better prices or quotes for shipping boxes.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 11:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charleygirl
Sentosa, have you gotten any better prices or quotes for shipping boxes.
Not yet I am still waiting for a few more quotes. Still waiting for Navis to get back emailed them 26th December and again yeaterday they told me I would have a quote by the end of business yesterday, still waiting, doesn't say much for thier customer service
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 3:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Sentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond repute

Here are some quotes I got from shipping companies all are for air freight:
Excess Baggage 6 boxes 18x18x24 $872.33( free boxes and packing materiels)
Upak we ship 4 boxes 24x24x24 $1498
Go Navis 4 boxes 24x24x24 $1020.76 (good for 30 days)
Sevenseas 6 boxes 18x18x24 $1645
Shipnex 6 Boxes 18x18x18 $831.36

The 18x18x24 are what is called tea box size and for 6 boxes it will be a total 27 cubic feet
The 24x24x24 boxes are just over 30 cubic feet for 4 boxes
I put the weight as 50 lbs per box.

hope this will give you some idea of cost.
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 7:35 am
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, thanks so much, very useful. And kind of pricey some of it. Excess suitcases maybe the way to go.
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 7:59 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Here are some quotes I got from shipping companies all are for air freight:
Excess Baggage 6 boxes 18x18x24 $872.33( free boxes and packing materiels)
Upak we ship 4 boxes 24x24x24 $1498
Go Navis 4 boxes 24x24x24 $1020.76 (good for 30 days)
Sevenseas 6 boxes 18x18x24 $1645
Shipnex 6 Boxes 18x18x18 $831.36

The 18x18x24 are what is called tea box size and for 6 boxes it will be a total 27 cubic feet
The 24x24x24 boxes are just over 30 cubic feet for 4 boxes
I put the weight as 50 lbs per box.

hope this will give you some idea of cost.
Have your tried a freight forwarder rather than a furniture removals company? You are probably paying for them to pack it too?

In the UK coming back here I packed my own boxes but had to leave them open for inspection and then they taped them. That's what we do where I work.

If you use a freight forwarder they can send the goods for you airport to airport where you can do your own clearances or should be able to arrange a to door service.

Last edited by Beedubya; Jan 23rd 2011 at 8:22 am.
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 8:18 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Or door to door suitcase/box delivery here.
http://www.firstluggage.com/?id=356299
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 11:14 am
BE Enthusiast

These are frieght forwarders Beedubya, I will have to pack myself which I would want to do anyway. I want the boxes delivered to my sons rather than he go up to Gatwick or Heathrow and have to mess with customs these companies do the customs bit too. It will be a lot cheaper to ship by sea than air. I worked out takeing extra baggage on the plane with us but by the time you have bought extra suitcases and struggled at the airports with 8 or 10 cases it is just as cheap to send them air freight.
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 8:22 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

These are frieght forwarders Beedubya, I will have to pack myself which I would want to do anyway. I want the boxes delivered to my sons rather than he go up to Gatwick or Heathrow and have to mess with customs these companies do the customs bit too. It will be a lot cheaper to ship by sea than air. I worked out takeing extra baggage on the plane with us but by the time you have bought extra suitcases and struggled at the airports with 8 or 10 cases it is just as cheap to send them air freight.
Is sea freight no good for you? I checked out your prices today and they seem average for air freight (though big differences in your quotes). Of course sea freight does take longer obviously but you are paying for the volumetric weight not the actual weight as in airfreight which leaves you being able to take more for less.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 3:16 am
BE Enthusiast

I think I will probably go with the sea frieght, I'm not worried how long it will take as it will be going to our sons untill we get there. I just thought with air taking only a few days the stuff may get there with less damage.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 4:54 am
Home Sweet Home

I think I will probably go with the sea frieght, I'm not worried how long it will take as it will be going to our sons untill we get there. I just thought with air taking only a few days the stuff may get there with less damage.
Not necessarily, you obviously haven't seen the way air freight is handled sometimes.

I used seafreight and got my stuff back in August, I had packed it myself in the boxes and the guys just packed the TV, etc. Only one little ornament was broken and that was my fault for packing it wrongly. LOTS of bubble wrap and pack clothes around breakables, etc.