Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Shipping the dog - are they insane?!?!

Shipping the dog - are they insane?!?!

Old Nov 27th 2014, 12:07 pm
Fancy a Cuppa?

Rosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping the dog - are they insane?!?!

Originally Posted by Wombat7
2 cats for YYZ to LHR cost be around $1700 ex vet fees.

Went through it four weeks ago so please pm re paperwork if you wish and I can answer questions. It was one of most stressful parts of move....but was all fine. Cats arrived wo problems.

If I had to do it again, I would get the crates early. Take them out to airport, with animal inside and make sure transport folks are happy with the type and size of crate.

paperwork needs to be done within 10 days of flight and you have the extra hassle of heart worm for the dog.
Thanks Wombat, that's a good tip bout the crates!
Old Nov 27th 2014, 1:23 pm
Just Joined

Noordhang is an unknown quantity at this point

Interesting that here in South Africa you cannot make the crates yourself unless you are a total expert - the airline rules are so strict. The crate has to be an exact size, it has to have the right water facility, it has to have the approved bedding, etc. etc. So the cargo carriers/pet shippers [don't know really what you call them!] make them to the correct size once you have measured your pets. Not so expensive either. But lots and lots of paperwork and vets visits, my goodness. Vaccinations have been re-done [they were up to date anyway], off again to the vet tomorrow for blood tests to be done and sent to OP, the vets training hospital, for confirmation that no nasty bugs, then 3 months later back to private vet for final check and final worming against tape worms, then a visit with the stamped passports to the State Vet for his signature, not more than 5 days before flight. I have a separate calendar just for all this!!!!
Old Nov 27th 2014, 2:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond repute

Air Canada had fixed views on the size of crate that was necessary for a regular size cat. The first crate I bought was apparently "airline approved" but that was just what the label said. So exchange the rate for another, but that was deemed to be too small, third crate passed muster. It was significantly bigger than I would have thought necessary. I wish Ihadtaken care of all that a couple of months beforeI was flying, so it was all done.

For the cats it was two vet visits. One more than 21 days before they flew for rabies (and re chipping for old lady cat as her chip was not ISO compliant), second chip was within 10 days of flying for physical and complete EU form, which then had to be signed off by government vet.
Old Dec 1st 2014, 4:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

pondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to all

Ya, we need a "giant" crate for our dog because though she's a lab and fits just fine in an extra large, it wasn't tall enough for her (apparently) by 1 inch. It's fine, it's bought. Looking into all this early was good for us because with all the treats she was getting a little frumpy. So we cut back the treats, measure her food carefully, and she's lost a few kilos which might help with the final weight calculations.

Everything for her is done except that annoying worming treatment, but the vet is ready and waiting for the visit and all the other paperwork is done, letter that she is flight-worthy is done, etc... Just need to get that okay on a job/rental to book our flight and make the mad rush for the finish line.
Old Dec 2nd 2014, 6:19 am
Just Joined

Noordhang is an unknown quantity at this point

Just need to get that okay on a job/rental to book our flight and make the mad rush for the finish line.

I do like that sentence, as it is so true - I still have 2 months to go but it hasn't stopped feeling like a mad rush !!
Old Dec 3rd 2014, 2:57 am
BE Enthusiast

pondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Noordhang
Just need to get that okay on a job/rental to book our flight and make the mad rush for the finish line.

I do like that sentence, as it is so true - I still have 2 months to go but it hasn't stopped feeling like a mad rush !!
Seriously! A year and a half ago we had all the time in the world, now we spend each day on the edge of our seats or flyin' by the seat of out pants!
Old Dec 3rd 2014, 6:52 am
Forum Regular

Mary C has a reputation beyond reputeMary C has a reputation beyond reputeMary C has a reputation beyond reputeMary C has a reputation beyond reputeMary C has a reputation beyond reputeMary C has a reputation beyond reputeMary C has a reputation beyond reputeMary C has a reputation beyond reputeMary C has a reputation beyond reputeMary C has a reputation beyond reputeMary C has a reputation beyond repute

Thank goodness I don't have animals to think about while planning our move back to the uk. It is madness itself trying to plan a stress free flight with 2 children aged 2 1/2 and 5 months. Are we allowed to take baby formula in a tin on the flight? do they have microwaves on the plane that we can sterilize bottles in? Minor matters you might say, but worries non the less. And praying beyond all prayers that the baby doesn't decide to present us with one of his world famous 'dirty nappies'. Perhaps I should buy 300 gas masks and distribute them prior to nappy change hehehe. Good luck with all the animals traveling, I hope they all appreciate all the efforts you guys are putting in to ensure their safe and comfortable travel I take my hat of to you all.