Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Shipping the dog - are they insane?!?!

Shipping the dog - are they insane?!?!

Old Oct 19th 2014, 6:34 am
BE Enthusiast

mayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Shipping the dog - are they insane?!?!

It's not just the weight it's the volume as well.
2 cats in smaller boxes will be cheaper than a large dog crate!
Old Oct 19th 2014, 7:41 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mayhemuk
It's not just the weight it's the volume as well.
2 cats in smaller boxes will be cheaper than a large dog crate!
I get that, but Pondhopper has been quoted nearly twice as much as someone with a dog just five pounds lighter than hers. That doesn't make sense.
Old Oct 19th 2014, 8:56 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Shipping the dog - are they insane?!?!

Originally Posted by dunroving
If it were to the UK, it would have to be via one of DEFRA's approved routes and carriers. From North America, I think the QM2 from NY to Southampton is the only route, and it books years in advance.
Britwhore has just posted that she's booked 3 pets to sail on the QM2 in 13 month's time: New York to Southampton November 2015. I seem to recall that there are 12 kennels on board. It definitely is the cheapest way to go (unlimited luggage onboard too as long as it will fit inside your cabin) and unlimited food to eat too, very comfy beds, plus no jet lag! Cunard are always doing promotions, so it's worthwhile signing up to their e-mail list.

I guess the November crossing is not the most popular time of year for tourists to travel to Europe by ship, so probably the best opportunity to try and book pets into the kennels on the QM2. It's always worth constantly checking with Cunard for last minute reservations and cancellations for pets already booked into the kennels: quite often passengers can't travel due to illness (or death!) of themselves/family members or their pet(s). Just think of the demographics of many of the passengers......they're not all spring chickens
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 2:39 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of that high price may just be supply and demand, just like passenger tickets for a specific flight go up as the plane gets close to full, maybe that AC flight already has close to a hold "full" of animals. Try asking for another day.
Old Oct 23rd 2014, 4:53 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Just an FYI, but I happened to come across my bill for shipping Suzy (25kg Labrador) with British Airways in 2006, Washington DC to London.

The bill was £1,500 including James Cargo (which BA includes in their ticket price; other airlines like Virgin do not include).

At today's rates that is US$2,400 (was $3,000 back then!) and CDN$2,700.
Old Oct 27th 2014, 4:26 am
Just Joined

brygill is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by pondhopper2014
I just got a quote from air canada to ship my 70lb dog from Montreal to London and the quote they gave me is $3535.00 canadian... ?!?!?!?!?!?

Am I doing something wrong?! There is no way, that's more than it will cost us to ship our stuff, AND fly ourselves over there... This can't be right, this is a small labrador, not a freaking horse!!

Can someone who's done this with a similar breed please advise?

You think that is bad? I have been quoted 'around $3000" to ship (in my own container) one 3kg chihuahua from Australia to UK. That does not include anti rabies injections and blood tests which can add up to to nearly $1000.Silly part is there has never been rabies here so why does she need it anyway? Going by ship is a long haul and I understand they are kept in a sealed container for the duration. No walks etc. How awful!
Old Oct 27th 2014, 6:05 am
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

brygill is that for taking dog on board with you? it's a long flight for sure..
Old Oct 27th 2014, 6:07 am
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

did you check with airpets? some folks have used them before for door to door transport of their dog.
Old Oct 27th 2014, 8:35 am
Misses Los Angeles

MoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brygill
That does not include anti rabies injections and blood tests which can add up to to nearly $1000.
Will that part really cost $AUS 1000?

I didn't think pets coming from Australia needed the blood/titer test. Our cats' rabies shots cost $US 15 each, so even allowing for different countries that seems like a huge hike!
Old Oct 28th 2014, 4:06 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MoshiMoshi
Will that part really cost $AUS 1000?

I didn't think pets coming from Australia needed the blood/titer test. Our cats' rabies shots cost $US 15 each, so even allowing for different countries that seems like a huge hike!
The vac is $189 then a follow up blood test is $303 (in case it didn't work) and if it did not work then a further vac at $189 and a second blood test at $303. What most folks would call a rip off!
Like I said, I do not think there has ever been a case of rabies in Australia so why is a shot needed at all to enter the UK?
Also in respect of the volume, rather than weight, how much volume does a chihuahua have I ask myself? She would fit comfortably into a cat carry cage.
The cost is based on 'accompanied freight'.And yes, it is a minimum 24 hour flight if straight through.I would not trust having a stop in the middle east.Whichever way you look at it, it will be an ordeal for her. Even a tranquilizer lasts only about 12 hours.
Old Oct 28th 2014, 6:31 am
Misses Los Angeles

MoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond repute

The vac is $189 then a follow up blood test is $303 (in case it didn't work) and if it did not work then a further vac at $189 and a second blood test at $303. What most folks would call a rip off!
Like I said, I do not think there has ever been a case of rabies in Australia so why is a shot needed at all to enter the UK?
Your dog will need the rabies shot at least 21 days before travel -- and to be microchipped, before that, if she isn't already -- but she doesn't need those blood tests. Australia is a 'listed non-EU' country, which means the titer test (blood test) isn't required any more. If your vet is telling you differently, they need the check the current UK rules.

See DEFRA guidelines here:

https://www.gov.uk/pet-travel-inform...for-pet-owners

And yes, it is a minimum 24 hour flight if straight through.I would not trust having a stop in the middle east.Whichever way you look at it, it will be an ordeal for her. Even a tranquilizer lasts only about 12 hours.
You aren't allowed to tranquillize your pet at all before air travel.
Old Oct 28th 2014, 12:31 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MoshiMoshi
Your dog will need the rabies shot at least 21 days before travel -- and to be microchipped, before that, if she isn't already -- but she doesn't need those blood tests. Australia is a 'listed non-EU' country, which means the titer test (blood test) isn't required any more. If your vet is telling you differently, they need the check the current UK rules.

See DEFRA guidelines here:

https://www.gov.uk/pet-travel-inform...for-pet-owners

You aren't allowed to tranquillize your pet at all before air travel.
Thanks to all, I will check these issues out with the vets.
How horrible that poor little creatures cannot be tranquillized, some must get terrified with the sounds of the engine. Now I am unsure if I am making the right decision to put her through it all.
Old Oct 28th 2014, 5:21 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks to all, I will check these issues out with the vets.
How horrible that poor little creatures cannot be tranquillized, some must get terrified with the sounds of the engine. Now I am unsure if I am making the right decision to put her through it all.
Tranquillizers are dangerous during flight because it suppresses the body's ability to adjust breathing, blood pressure, etc.

Dozens of people have posted here over the years about how their pets did just fine flying across the Atlantic and other similar long distances, without tranquillizers (I know because I am one - my dog went back and forth three times!)

I think we sometimes worry more than they do. I fretted all sorts the first time, because my dog was a very anxious, nervous dog at that time (i.e., a typical rescue dog). On that occasion and the other two, she came out at the other end looking like she had just been for a stroll round the park.
Old Oct 28th 2014, 9:29 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dunroving
Tranquillizers are dangerous during flight because it suppresses the body's ability to adjust breathing, blood pressure, etc.

Dozens of people have posted here over the years about how their pets did just fine flying across the Atlantic and other similar long distances, without tranquillizers (I know because I am one - my dog went back and forth three times!)

I think we sometimes worry more than they do. I fretted all sorts the first time, because my dog was a very anxious, nervous dog at that time (i.e., a typical rescue dog). On that occasion and the other two, she came out at the other end looking like she had just been for a stroll round the park.
Thanks Dunroving for you words of assurance, this helps a lot
Old Oct 30th 2014, 7:55 am
Just Joined

TalentedMrRipley is an unknown quantity at this point

Airlines charge differently for freight. Some charge weight (which is combined weight of pet and crate) others charge by volume (size of crate)

Heading to the UK, you have to have your pets on a manifested cargo flight (this is still on a passenger aircraft)

If possible, try and book the tickets direct with the Airline to avoid agent booking fees.

Flying into the UK you have to pay custom fees for entry. International flights into London cost about £340 for the first pet and £50 per additional pet.

Approximately 16,000 cats and dogs arrive into London every year without any problems and the staff at the ARC (Animal Reception Centre) are great

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.