Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Shipping the dog Aus to UK

Shipping the dog Aus to UK

Old Jul 3rd 2013, 2:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Shipping the dog Aus to UK

Just started trying to get some ball park figures for the cost of taking the dog back to uk. (Brisbane ish to Southampton ish). I think I've got a handle on the requirements other than do you need a particular type of approved vet to do the treatments and /or sign it all off. Most threads on here seem to be USA to UK dog journeys.

How have your pets dealt with the very long flights? What tips to make it better for them? Pooch is a mixed breed border collie x keeshound x lots of other breeds - a true mutt. She's about collie sized and nearly 3 yrs old. She used to be crated (open wired) at night and was fine with it but hasn't been in it for 18 mths now.

Anyone got recommendations/companies to avoid? Seriously thinking of DIY if it makes much $$ difference. What sort of cost am I looking at? I have contacted a couple of companies for ballpark figures but they're being pretty slow at giving me $$
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 9:07 am
Forum Regular

SUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Shipping the dog Aus to UK

Originally Posted by Safin
Just started trying to get some ball park figures for the cost of taking the dog back to uk. (Brisbane ish to Southampton ish). I think I've got a handle on the requirements other than do you need a particular type of approved vet to do the treatments and /or sign it all off. Most threads on here seem to be USA to UK dog journeys.

How have your pets dealt with the very long flights? What tips to make it better for them? Pooch is a mixed breed border collie x keeshound x lots of other breeds - a true mutt. She's about collie sized and nearly 3 yrs old. She used to be crated (open wired) at night and was fine with it but hasn't been in it for 18 mths now.

Anyone got recommendations/companies to avoid? Seriously thinking of DIY if it makes much $$ difference. What sort of cost am I looking at? I have contacted a couple of companies for ballpark figures but they're being pretty slow at giving me $$
LOL im also doing this as well i have 2 dogs to move, i agreed there isnt a lot on info on here about OZ to UK there is a lot better forum who have a guy in the trade who answers questions.. PM me and ill give you the addy as i assume the guys will pack a sad if i post there name here.

I got a quote from a company which was just over 5k for the 2 which i thought was reasonable untill i looked into the DIY route and with the new Regs making it much easier to bring pets into the UK it seems a lot of money for doing very little

For the VET you will need a AQIS registered vet to do the rabies injection and certificates the list from Queensland is here

http://www.daff.gov.au/biosecurity/e...ets/queensland

One thing im having trouble getting is a crate for our dogs they are mid size collie x lab. your wire crate is will not be allowed.

and lastly
just go to carriers websites most have sections on pet travel, virgin even started giving points for pet travel this week.

one thing to note is its a fair bit cheaper not to fly them into heathrow
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 9:28 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Flying into Paris or Amsterdam and then taking train or ferry into the UK is MUCH cheaper.
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 9:32 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

There's a thread here about the rules and regs http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=723046 but apart from that most people are shipping back from the US or Canada. Have a read of those threads though as a lot of them contain the more "fluffy" side - how to make it a comfortable trip, what Heathrow and other airports are like when pets arrive, all that kind of thing.
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 10:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

I've got couple of rough quotes back. One for about $3300 which includes an internal flight i don't need and another for $5000. both include crate purchase and the vet to do final checks and worming. Haven't made any calls yet about doing it directly. I've got the handle on the defra requirements but cant work out the aussie Aquis requirements yet. I knew she couldn't use our exisiting crate but hopefully it'll mean she'll settle a little easier in the new one. Maybe we should get that old one back out now to get her in the mood as it were.

Not sure about flying in elsewhere as its starting to look like I have to fly alone with 3 kids as OH my have to go on ahead for work. heading into paris, collecting the dog, getting the train etc etc might be just a bit too much without a lot more research first
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 10:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Cheers supercad. Have pm'd you
Old Jul 4th 2013, 5:17 am
BE Forum Addict

One quote from dogtainers states their fee includes
Domestic Freight Charges
Veterinary Charges: Final Vet Inspection, Frontline Treatment
AQIS Export Paperwork and Health Certificate
Lodgement at Brisbane International Airport
Purchase of Airline Approved Transport Crate
International Freight Charges (Brisbane - Sydney - Dubai - London)
Customs / Veterinary Clearance & Fees and Airport Terminal Fees at London Heathrow

But they can't break that down at all to me. I am considering doing it myself. Now obviously I need to speak to airline but dogtainers charge $30/kg so I can work from that for now. Presumably that includes the crate. I can speak to an AQIS vet for their charges, easy. What I can't work out is how to find out about fees at Heathrow? Anyone? Scarely enough they didn't know what a third country certificate was..so one us us is misinformed (may be me I know)
Old Jul 4th 2013, 5:41 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

One quote from dogtainers states their fee includes
Domestic Freight Charges
Veterinary Charges: Final Vet Inspection, Frontline Treatment
AQIS Export Paperwork and Health Certificate
Lodgement at Brisbane International Airport
Purchase of Airline Approved Transport Crate
International Freight Charges (Brisbane - Sydney - Dubai - London)
Customs / Veterinary Clearance & Fees and Airport Terminal Fees at London Heathrow

But they can't break that down at all to me. I am considering doing it myself. Now obviously I need to speak to airline but dogtainers charge $30/kg so I can work from that for now. Presumably that includes the crate. I can speak to an AQIS vet for their charges, easy. What I can't work out is how to find out about fees at Heathrow? Anyone? Scarely enough they didn't know what a third country certificate was..so one us us is misinformed (may be me I know)
Have a look at some of the threads for moving pets from the US - loads of detail in them, including info about Heathrow.

This might help too
http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/servi...s/default.aspx

Last edited by Pollyana; Jul 4th 2013 at 5:48 am.
Old Jul 4th 2013, 8:46 am
Forum Regular

SUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to behold

check out your other post
Old Jul 10th 2013, 2:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by SUPERCAD
LOL im also doing this as well i have 2 dogs to move, i agreed there isnt a lot on info on here about OZ to UK there is a lot better forum who have a guy in the trade who answers questions.. PM me and ill give you the addy as i assume the guys will pack a sad if i post there name here.

I got a quote from a company which was just over 5k for the 2 which i thought was reasonable untill i looked into the DIY route and with the new Regs making it much easier to bring pets into the UK it seems a lot of money for doing very little

For the VET you will need a AQIS registered vet to do the rabies injection and certificates the list from Queensland is here

http://www.daff.gov.au/biosecurity/e...ets/queensland

One thing im having trouble getting is a crate for our dogs they are mid size collie x lab. your wire crate is will not be allowed.

and lastly
just go to carriers websites most have sections on pet travel, virgin even started giving points for pet travel this week.

one thing to note is its a fair bit cheaper not to fly them into heathrow
Supercad can I ask who that quote was from. I've had 3 reply so far one at just over $3k and two at $4.5K. Must be gold plated crates from the later two. How much did you work it out to be DIY?
Old Jul 10th 2013, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

ormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really niceormrod7 is just really nice

Hi everyone, I've been trying to get quotes for my 10 month old Boxer that's 28kg Jets for Pets never got back but got a site off a friend who is moving back to Scotland. From Brisbane to UK (wanted Manchester but seemingly don't do direct) so he has to go to London then a domestic flight to Manchester $2100 to London and an extra £300 on pickup at Mancheter.
Old Jul 10th 2013, 9:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ormrod7
Hi everyone, I've been trying to get quotes for my 10 month old Boxer that's 28kg Jets for Pets never got back but got a site off a friend who is moving back to Scotland. From Brisbane to UK (wanted Manchester but seemingly don't do direct) so he has to go to London then a domestic flight to Manchester $2100 to London and an extra £300 on pickup at Mancheter.
Blimey thats good pricing ormrod7. I know size makes a difference but mine isn't much different to a collie and being quoted lots more. Who was that with?
Old Jul 10th 2013, 10:40 am
Forum Regular

The quote i got was from Dogtainers it was just over 5k for both dogs ill post the details when im next at home (25th)

Ormrod that dose sound like a good price.. id be interested in the details to
Old Jul 10th 2013, 1:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dogtainers wanted just over 3k for one and she is possibly a little smaller than yours. Even if you take off the local flight it's still just under 3k apparently. Maybe you get a job lot discount?
Old Jul 11th 2013, 9:01 am
Forum Regular

that was renting the containers, but ill get the details on my next swing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.