Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Shipping costs/firms from U.S. to U.K.

Shipping costs/firms from U.S. to U.K.

Old Jun 6th 2007, 12:25 am
  #16  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 89
gingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to all
Default Re: Shipping costs/firms from U.S. to U.K.

thanks all--it's so reassuring to hear from people who have gone through all this and survived (or are in the midst of it all).

Fact is, it's a big bloomin' deal, and I think these discussion lists are a great source of reassurance and valuable information.

thanks, people!
gingajoy is offline  
Old Jun 6th 2007, 2:11 pm
  #17  
Just Joined
 
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 6
mp3_e46 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Shipping costs/firms from U.S. to U.K.

We are going back to the UK for a while but are taking a 40' container. From our door in Atlanta to Southampton all the quotes are about $2800 (I am skipping insurance). We will have two hours to load in Atlanta, and I expect to pick the stuff up in a borrowed van/truck in the UK.

We are taking a car which is the reason for the 40' container - the same car is $35K more expensive in England and will stay insured by our US insurance company ($1800/year for anywhere in the UK) so that saves a bundle too Other than that just taking one Tempurpedic mattress pays for the container - they are GBP1800 in the UK!! We could squeeze in 20' container but the 40' is only a little more expensive.

There is no way we want to go through the hassle of buying every again + in a container I can take my 47" TV, some bicycles and other life 'essentials'.

Hope that helps, check UK prices before deciding to buy new again
mp3_e46 is offline  
Old Jun 6th 2007, 2:53 pm
  #18  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 89
gingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to all
Default Re: Shipping costs/firms from U.S. to U.K.

Originally Posted by mp3_e46
We are going back to the UK for a while but are taking a 40' container. From our door in Atlanta to Southampton all the quotes are about $2800 (I am skipping insurance). We will have two hours to load in Atlanta, and I expect to pick the stuff up in a borrowed van/truck in the UK.

We are taking a car which is the reason for the 40' container - the same car is $35K more expensive in England and will stay insured by our US insurance company ($1800/year for anywhere in the UK) so that saves a bundle too Other than that just taking one Tempurpedic mattress pays for the container - they are GBP1800 in the UK!! We could squeeze in 20' container but the 40' is only a little more expensive.

There is no way we want to go through the hassle of buying every again + in a container I can take my 47" TV, some bicycles and other life 'essentials'.

Hope that helps, check UK prices before deciding to buy new again
Good grief! That's truly everything! I really didn't consider taking the car, I have to say--but I have a toyota sienna minivan I am very, very attached to. Hmmm. I wonder.
I've not looked into the logistics of taking a car--I presume you'd have to pay tax on it or something when it arrives?

That price is also extremely good. Would you mind sharing the company names? Also, does the insurance pretty much double it? I have to say, I'd be worried about not insuring it if my car was in it, but maybe it's a decent gamble to take.

I've also got a widescreen LCD HD tv I'd rather not part with, but I need to look into whether it can actually work in the UK without hassle with channels and stuff.

My hat off to you!
gingajoy is offline  
Old Jun 6th 2007, 7:56 pm
  #19  
Just Joined
 
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 6
mp3_e46 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Shipping costs/firms from U.S. to U.K.

Originally Posted by gingajoy
Good grief! That's truly everything! I really didn't consider taking the car, I have to say--but I have a toyota sienna minivan I am very, very attached to. Hmmm. I wonder.
I've not looked into the logistics of taking a car--I presume you'd have to pay tax on it or something when it arrives?

That price is also extremely good. Would you mind sharing the company names? Also, does the insurance pretty much double it? I have to say, I'd be worried about not insuring it if my car was in it, but maybe it's a decent gamble to take.

I've also got a widescreen LCD HD tv I'd rather not part with, but I need to look into whether it can actually work in the UK without hassle with channels and stuff.

My hat off to you!
This is a long reply so please excuse any typos:

Let me start by saying I have moved for work many times. Let me try to repap: London -> Atlanta -> Woking -> Zurich -> USA (only took car + basics like a sofa) -> Zuirch -> Woking/London -> Hamburg -> Woking -> Atlanta. I've had five car shipped across the Atlantic (one three times!).

>>That's truly everything!
Actually we am leaving tools (lots of these!), books, some furniture and two (rental) houses here. We return in a year or two. We don't own much junk either - if something is not used for over a year we typically put it on eBay.

>>I really didn't consider taking the car, I have to say--but I have a toyota
>>sienna minivan I am very, very attached to. Hmmm. I wonder.
It can be done. We are taking our car temporarily and have insurance via USAA. If you want to register a car over there it is more difficult but not impossible. If you have had the vehicle longer than 6 months then there is no tax to pay We have a 6 month old small BMW Wagon (I sold my other BMW in two weeks on Craig's List) and the same car is $65,290 new in the UK:curse:

>>That price is also extremely good.
From memory insurance is 2-3% of the value insurance depending on the company. Other than a total loss of the container or it being dropped from a great height I cannot see any damages being much. So $1,500 for in the ballpark of '1 in 10,000' chance of total loss for $50K of contents?' I'll take my chances with that one. I have consulted for insurance companies before and IIRC about 30% of their revenue goes back in claims (~30% is profit, 30% covers staff, building etc). Other than an umbrella policy (for liability coverage) I've been skimping on insurance all my life and must be well over $10K up by now.

>>Would you mind sharing the company names?
PM me for a full list of companies - I need to dig through emails. I have pasted one quote at the end of this post


>>I've also got a widescreen LCD HD tv I'd rather not part with, but I need to
>>look into whether it can actually work in the UK without hassle with
>>channels and stuff.
I've been using the 'wonrg' TV in different countries since 1997. Luckily you have an LCD; don't try to ship a Plasma TV as they must be kept upright and not jarred etc. My Plasma is going to the guy who looking after our rental houses and I am ordering a new 47" 1080 LCD Most US TVs automatically work at 110->240V 50/60 hertz - look on the back of your or in the manual. You'll need a separate tuner in the UK (digibox) to get UK channels, I have a Universal remote which can handle anything it is easy to use one programmed (Harmony 880). The biggest pain in that your US TV won't have SCART input which dates back to the 80s but is still very popular in England. Your TV probably has component video (rare in the UK), s-video (should work with most UK equipment), composite ( but will work in the UK), HDMI or DVI (adapters switch between these and they are becoming world wide standards - I selected a new TV with 2 DVI and 1 HDMI). As for other small electronics I have a large transformer + powerstrip. I would not drive a TV off one of these though, a surround sound amp is the most I am driving with it. Also PCs all have switches on their PSUs to work with 240V. When buying electronics over here I try to go for the 'worldwide' models that auto-sense the voltage.


>>My hat off to you!
Cheers! Glad to help; I quit work a month ago to finish this rental house and enjoy helping people on Forums to break the day up (mainly BMW forums - I am bit of on expert on those )



== container quote==
For a full container all the quote I got were about the same. Prices for a shared container varied massively and I soon decided to do a full container:

From LTV Relocation Services www.ltvre location.com
"(1) 20’ container from Roswell, Georgia to London, England: $4,910.00

Export documentation: $ 85.00
Insurance Premium, Optional 2.5% of the insured value (with a
one time $500.00 deductible)
Export customs clearance of your vehicle title from US Customs: $ 95.00

If you require self packing and loading and port services only in the UK, please deduct $2,210.00 ...".
mp3_e46 is offline  
Old Jun 7th 2007, 1:44 am
  #20  
Just Joined
 
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 6
mp3_e46 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Shipping costs/firms from U.S. to U.K.

Here is a quote from the people I'll likely go with (via www.shipping-worldwide.com). The container will be ~4' off the ground when loading so I have to call a towing company with a flatbed truck for loading of the car (~$50??). We get two 'free' hours to load, and this quote assumes I collect everything from Southampton myself - I am not sure how that works, but delivery to central London is ~$500 and I may just pay that extra fee:


Ocean Container Rates from Atlanta To Southampton (UK)

Total Volume Weight 4500 lb or 2041.19 kgs.

DESCRIPTION VALUE RATE QTY. AMOUNT
Freight 40' Container $1,250.00 1 $1,250.00
Bunker Adjustment Factor [BAF Charges] 40' Container $120.00 1 $120.00
Warfage 2.04 MT $2.90 $5.92
Bill Of Lading $50.00
Residential Pickup Charges $95.00
Drayage from Terminal to Your Door
(1 - 10 Miles)
$235.00 1 $235.00
Fuel Surcharge $49.35
Customs Clearance For Car Export $175.00 1 $175.00
Shippers Declaration (Over $2,500.00 ) $45,000.00 $50.00
Total US $2,030.27
mp3_e46 is offline  
Old Jun 7th 2007, 3:19 pm
  #21  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 89
gingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to all
Default Re: Shipping costs/firms from U.S. to U.K.

now that is an education. I have to say, you've turned me around on the "we'll take nothing" perspective. Obvously, we don't want to take everything, but some key items and maybe the car would not be a bad idea--it seems like we'd save a lot of money in the long run. I have no clue as of yet when or where we're going to make this move, but having this information well in advance, at least to give me a rough idea of my options here, is incredibly helpful.
gingajoy is offline  
Old Jun 7th 2007, 8:55 pm
  #22  
BE Forum Addict
 
Scout's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Wales, UK
Posts: 1,216
Scout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping costs/firms from U.S. to U.K.

OK....more weighin from me. Be VERY careful of the lowest quotes you get. Number 1, you can't possibly load a 40 foot container in 2 hours..(It toook us 2 days for a 20 foot and we had help the 2nd day or we wouldn't have finished)...and some companies can charge considerable for each extra hour you keep the container. Also, the lower quotes don't usually include most the the additional fees that can add up considerably and change a lowball quote to a much higher quote in the end. Also, to consider, with some of the cheaper quotes, you are expected to handle a good bit of the paperwork yourself and not being an expert on customs clearance, etc. it's sometimes worth it to make sure the company is handling everything for you.

We packed and shipped our own container and skipped the insurance as well. If you pack yourself you most likely won't be able to get any insurance other than the type that will remibruse only if your container falls overboard anyway.

Also, companies will expect payment BEFORE your container leaves the US....and most will charge a 3 percent fee if you use a credit card. So plan in advance to make sure they have a check in hand (and time to clear the bank) before your container leaves the port of origin.

I shopped around with over a dozen companies before choosing the one I chose. It wasn't the cheapest or the most expensive. It was somewhere in the middle.

Also....make sure you put a nice big fat lock on your container when it leaves your house....and take the keys with you to the UK. If UK Customs wants to have a looky lou they will cut the lock, but it doesn't hurt to discourage any theft before it gets to the UK.

Last edited by Scout; Jun 7th 2007 at 9:00 pm.
Scout is offline  
Old Jun 7th 2007, 9:08 pm
  #23  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 89
gingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to all
Default Re: Shipping costs/firms from U.S. to U.K.

Originally Posted by Scout
OK....more weighin from me. Be VERY careful of the lowest quotes you get. Number 1, you can't possibly load a 40 foot container in 2 hours..(It toook us 2 days for a 20 foot and we had help the 2nd day or we wouldn't have finished)...and some companies can charge considerable for each extra hour you keep the container. Also, the lower quotes don't usually include most the the additional fees that can add up considerably and change a lowball quote to a much higher quote in the end. Also, to consider, with some of the cheaper quotes, you are expected to handle a good bit of the paperwork yourself and not being an expert on customs clearance, etc. it's sometimes worth it to make sure the company is handling everything for you.

We packed and shipped our own container and skipped the insurance as well. If you pack yourself you most likely won't be able to get any insurance other than the type that will remibruse only if your container falls overboard anyway.

Also, companies will expect payment BEFORE your container leaves the US....and most will charge a 3 percent fee if you use a credit card. So plan in advance to make sure they have a check in hand (and time to clear the bank) before your container leaves the port of origin.

I shopped around with over a dozen companies before choosing the one I chose. It wasn't the cheapest or the most expensive. It was somewhere in the middle.

Also....make sure you put a nice big fat lock on your container when it leaves your house....and take the keys with you to the UK. If UK Customs wants to have a looky lou they will cut the lock, but it doesn't hurt to discourage any theft before it gets to the UK.

thanks scout--i am sure when then time comes i'll be weighing up a lot of options. all this advice just helps me become a a bit more insightful.
gingajoy is offline  
Old Jun 7th 2007, 9:12 pm
  #24  
BE Forum Addict
 
Scout's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Wales, UK
Posts: 1,216
Scout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping costs/firms from U.S. to U.K.

If it helps...the mover's, packing and actually moving was the easiest part. The thing that stressed me out the most was all the hoops we had to jump thru to ship the dog
Scout is offline  
Old Jun 7th 2007, 9:23 pm
  #25  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 89
gingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to all
Default Re: Shipping costs/firms from U.S. to U.K.

Originally Posted by Scout
If it helps...the mover's, packing and actually moving was the easiest part. The thing that stressed me out the most was all the hoops we had to jump thru to ship the dog
oh god, don;t tell me that. we've got a big fat yellow lab who is coming with;-)
gingajoy is offline  
Old Jun 7th 2007, 9:36 pm
  #26  
BE Forum Addict
 
Scout's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Wales, UK
Posts: 1,216
Scout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping costs/firms from U.S. to U.K.

Originally Posted by gingajoy
oh god, don;t tell me that. we've got a big fat yellow lab who is coming with;-)

I won't tell ya it cost us $ 1500 USD to fly Scout(the dog, not me, lol) from Atlanta to Gatwick and she weighs in at 45 pounds, that it took 7 or 8 months to get her ready to ship, that no Vet in Atlanta has a clue about what's needed to fly on the Pet Passport Scheme, etc.
Scout is offline  
Old Jun 7th 2007, 9:48 pm
  #27  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 89
gingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to all
Default Re: Shipping costs/firms from U.S. to U.K.

oy... i guess i need to start looking into it right away then
gingajoy is offline  
Old Jun 8th 2007, 1:29 am
  #28  
Just Joined
 
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 6
mp3_e46 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Shipping costs/firms from U.S. to U.K.

Originally Posted by Scout
no Vet in Atlanta has a clue about what's needed to fly on the Pet Passport Scheme, etc.
Tell me about it... our plans shifted several months because of a dumb vet. Hopefully two 12lb cats won't cost $1500 from ATL->LGW, otherwise they are living in a container for six weeks
mp3_e46 is offline  
Old Jun 10th 2007, 9:51 am
  #29  
Banned
 
mr mover's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Angle vale Sth Australia
Posts: 5,353
mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping costs/firms from U.S. to U.K.

Before you choose your American moving company,it might pay to have a look at this site.........mm
http://www.movingscam.com/
mr mover is offline  
Old Jun 10th 2007, 10:40 am
  #30  
Senior Moment
 
Mitzyboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: On the edge
Posts: 20,460
Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping costs/firms from U.S. to U.K.

Originally Posted by mp3_e46
). We will have two hours to load in Atlanta, and I expect to pick the stuff up in a borrowed van/truck in the UK.
(
Ask for container demurrage rates. To load a container in a way you don't get damages will very probably take you more than two hours, and truckers charge a rate per hour for more than the allowed time.
Mitzyboy is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.