Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Shipping costs/firms from U.S. to U.K.

Shipping costs/firms from U.S. to U.K.

Old Jun 3rd 2007, 1:33 pm
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 89
gingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to all
Default Shipping costs/firms from U.S. to U.K.

Hi--as I think about making the move home in the next 18months, I want to try and pin down the costs as much as possible to see what we're looking at.

We won't want to move all our belongings and furniture, I don't think, but certainly some of our things (more than can fit in a suitcase). Can anyone give me a sense of shipping costs from the US based on their experiences? Any firms people can recommend (or not!)?
gingajoy is offline  
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 1:43 pm
  #2  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 116
Baadil is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Shipping costs/firms from U.S. to U.K.

Originally Posted by gingajoy
Hi--as I think about making the move home in the next 18months, I want to try and pin down the costs as much as possible to see what we're looking at.

We won't want to move all our belongings and furniture, I don't think, but certainly some of our things (more than can fit in a suitcase). Can anyone give me a sense of shipping costs from the US based on their experiences? Any firms people can recommend (or not!)?
Hi,

Which area/state are you leaving from? I will probably be leaving form Reno, NV area within 15 months. If you are close by, we may be able to share cost.
Baadil is offline  
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 1:50 pm
  #3  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 89
gingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to all
Default Re: Shipping costs/firms from U.S. to U.K.

Michigan(!) Pretty far way, unfortunately
gingajoy is offline  
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 2:57 pm
  #4  
BE Forum Addict
 
Scout's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Wales, UK
Posts: 1,216
Scout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping costs/firms from U.S. to U.K.

We moved from Atlanta to near Cardiff in November 2005. For a two bedroom house we used a 20 foot container (packed full).....we used Rinkens, packed and loaded ourselves and it cost somewhere in the neighborhood of 4600 US dollars. Mind that fuel costs were cheaper then and the dollar was traqding better against the pound so I would adjust the final figure up somewhat today.
Scout is offline  
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 3:00 pm
  #5  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 116
Baadil is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Shipping costs/firms from U.S. to U.K.

Originally Posted by gingajoy
Michigan(!) Pretty far way, unfortunately
bummer!
Baadil is offline  
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 6:10 pm
  #6  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 89
gingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to all
Default Re: Shipping costs/firms from U.S. to U.K.

Originally Posted by Scout
We moved from Atlanta to near Cardiff in November 2005. For a two bedroom house we used a 20 foot container (packed full).....we used Rinkens, packed and loaded ourselves and it cost somewhere in the neighborhood of 4600 US dollars. Mind that fuel costs were cheaper then and the dollar was traqding better against the pound so I would adjust the final figure up somewhat today.
that's actually more reasonable than I was imagining--certainly cheaper than buying absolutely everything new, anyway. yes--I can imagine it's more expensive now.
20 foot--is that about the size of a medium sized moving truck? (or am i delusional?):

what did you manage to cram in there? (if you don;t mind me asking!)
gingajoy is offline  
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 6:51 pm
  #7  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 116
Baadil is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Shipping costs/firms from U.S. to U.K.

20' Container is much bigger than you might think

When I moved to UK 5 years ago, I booked a 20' container and stuffed a whole three bedroom house (excluding structure ) in it. This included beds, dining room stuff, fridge, are a lot lot more. I did the same when I moved back from UK to US.

Would I do that again? Absolutely NOT. I found that as I move around I collect stuff that is so VERY important to me that I cannot leave behind, until I get to my next destination. Then I think, Did I just move all this cr@p, I mean stuff? Plus most of the stuff doesn't even go with decore of the next house or so my wife says :-) It took us about 2 hours to get my US fridge into the US kitchen just to find out that there is barely any space left for cooking after that

I will be moving next year back there again. This time, I will sell EVERYTHING that I can, rest give away and then take only about 6-8 boxes or less. This way I can not only reduce my cost of shipping but also get the right stuff when I am there.

So next time: 6-8 boxes shipped, + suitecases allowed with us. Perhaps 6 (we are allowed 8, 70lbs each.)

I don't mean to disheart you but take a look at your stuff, each major item. Do you really, really and really will need (not want) this to be present in your next home?


HTH.

Originally Posted by gingajoy
that's actually more reasonable than I was imagining--certainly cheaper than buying absolutely everything new, anyway. yes--I can imagine it's more expensive now.
20 foot--is that about the size of a medium sized moving truck? (or am i delusional?):

what did you manage to cram in there? (if you don;t mind me asking!)
Baadil is offline  
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 7:05 pm
  #8  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 89
gingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to all
Default Re: Shipping costs/firms from U.S. to U.K.

actually, you've not disheartened me, but confirmed what I already suspected--that's it's too much hassle. we do have items I'd want to ship to make a place feel like home--pictures, some books, some keepsakes, etc (and proably a lot of stuffed toys so my 4 yr old doesn't lose it) but I look at my couches and my mega sized king bed, and think "would I really miss it?"

I will seriously weight the costs though--$6,000 is 3,000 pounds. What would that buy (actually, quite a bit at IKEA, right?!). and we should be able to sell things for some money (hopefully!)

my poor husband, he's just finished making an arts and crafts bed completely from scratch. "you can always make another one" is my line right now--but he does not look like he's buying it!

thanks for the honest advice
gingajoy is offline  
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 7:14 pm
  #9  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 116
Baadil is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Shipping costs/firms from U.S. to U.K.

I am a husband and my wife says the same. We bought a brand new house last year with the things we have always wanted. I did lots of upgrades myself and we are still finishing up lasnscaping as we speak, knowing that fact that we will be moving next year to UK and all this will remain here. Remember in my last post I said 6-8 boxes shipped? Well two of those will contain my wood working and other power tools. I am not worried about power conversion as when we moved back from UK, we bought dual converters from the internet that convert 110 to 220 and vice versa. This is our agreement and I am happy with it. I will sell the bigger tools and buy them used when there.

As for household stuff, yes you are right, you can redo a whole house with Ikea stuff for a very low price. Even if you go expensive, my wife saw some excellent priced Italian leather sofas (comfy) for less than 1500 pounds (on sale). You can start off with Ikea and upgrade as needed but there is nothing wrong with Ikea either :-)


Originally Posted by gingajoy
actually, you've not disheartened me, but confirmed what I already suspected--that's it's too much hassle. we do have items I'd want to ship to make a place feel like home--pictures, some books, some keepsakes, etc (and proably a lot of stuffed toys so my 4 yr old doesn't lose it) but I look at my couches and my mega sized king bed, and think "would I really miss it?"

I will seriously weight the costs though--$6,000 is 3,000 pounds. What would that buy (actually, quite a bit at IKEA, right?!). and we should be able to sell things for some money (hopefully!)

my poor husband, he's just finished making an arts and crafts bed completely from scratch. "you can always make another one" is my line right now--but he does not look like he's buying it!

thanks for the honest advice
Baadil is offline  
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 7:20 pm
  #10  
BE Forum Addict
 
Scout's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Wales, UK
Posts: 1,216
Scout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping costs/firms from U.S. to U.K.

Don't listen to Baadill........he's a man what does he know about women needing their things around them to make a house a home..

A 20 foot container will hold a considerable amount. We packed a queen sized sleigh bed frame, mattress & box spring (ditch the american box springs because they are hard to fit in most UK houses)....a double antique bed frame , double mattresses & box springs, dining table + 6 dining chairs, easy chair, some other small chairs, antique vanity, a ton of clothes, pots and pans (ditch the bit pots and pans because they won't fit here either).....We crammed in an entertainment center, a rocking chair, bedding, linens, towels, pictures, rugs, dishes, chests of drawers, etc.

If you have a big American sofa then ditch it. Ditch all your electronics (except maybe a laptop) too. The one exception I may have made to this is I wish I had brought some of my American lamps over here and had them rewired. I just haven't been able to find any lamps I like at all over here.

We were lucky. I was able to get into our house in the UK before we moved back and measure what would and would not fit....the only mistake I made was the fact that the Queen Size box springs wouldn't bend around a tight corner and fit in our master bedroom so now my lovely sleigh bed is in our middle bedroom rather than the master.

I would think you could pack the essentials of a 3 bedroom house in a 20 foot container quite nicely.

I too weighed my options about ditching it all or buying new over here and I knew I couldn't replace what I had for the amount of what I would have saved on shipping costs so I dumped what I didn't need or couldn't use and I took what I could. I have to say, having my things around me makes me more comfy, but I'm a 'nester' and need my comforts.
Scout is offline  
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 7:23 pm
  #11  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 89
gingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to all
Default Re: Shipping costs/firms from U.S. to U.K.

ah! will tell the old man about the converter right now! that *will* make him a little happier

and you're right about ikea--fine to start out with (especially for kid's rooms--it's perfect for that. i have two boys, 6 months and 4 yrs).

luckily I have a lot of family in the UK, and so I am sure we'll end up with an assortment of things in the end.

thanks so much for your responses--you've been a real help.
gingajoy is offline  
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 7:27 pm
  #12  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 89
gingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to all
Default Re: Shipping costs/firms from U.S. to U.K.

Originally Posted by Scout
Don't listen to Baadill........he's a man what does he know about women needing their things around them to make a house a home..

A 20 foot container will hold a considerable amount. We packed a queen sized sleigh bed frame, mattress & box spring (ditch the american box springs because they are hard to fit in most UK houses)....a double antique bed frame , double mattresses & box springs, dining table + 6 dining chairs, easy chair, some other small chairs, antique vanity, a ton of clothes, pots and pans (ditch the bit pots and pans because they won't fit here either).....We crammed in an entertainment center, a rocking chair, bedding, linens, towels, pictures, rugs, dishes, chests of drawers, etc.

If you have a big American sofa then ditch it. Ditch all your electronics (except maybe a laptop) too. The one exception I may have made to this is I wish I had brought some of my American lamps over here and had them rewired. I just haven't been able to find any lamps I like at all over here.

We were lucky. I was able to get into our house in the UK before we moved back and measure what would and would not fit....the only mistake I made was the fact that the Queen Size box springs wouldn't bend around a tight corner and fit in our master bedroom so now my lovely sleigh bed is in our middle bedroom rather than the master.

I would think you could pack the essentials of a 3 bedroom house in a 20 foot container quite nicely.

I too weighed my options about ditching it all or buying new over here and I knew I couldn't replace what I had for the amount of what I would have saved on shipping costs so I dumped what I didn't need or couldn't use and I took what I could. I have to say, having my things around me makes me more comfy, but I'm a 'nester' and need my comforts.

Ha! I am sure in the end we'll end up doing something in between. Lord knows we've got a lot of things--especially having two boys. I also know that when the "reverse culture shock" sets in (more like culture shock for me, having been in the U.S. for 15 yrs, having some familiar items will make a big difference.

Thanks for the female perspective;-) I appreciate it!
gingajoy is offline  
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 8:45 pm
  #13  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 116
Baadil is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Shipping costs/firms from U.S. to U.K.

Now now, no need to to attack a poor minority soul here

I think all the girly stuff 'needed' can fit in 6-8 suit cases and 4 boxes

Originally Posted by Scout
Don't listen to Baadill........he's a man what does he know about women needing their things around them to make a house a home.......
Originally Posted by gingajoy
Ha! I am sure in the end we'll end up doing something in between. Lord knows we've got a lot of things--especially having two boys. I also know that when the "reverse culture shock" sets in (more like culture shock for me, having been in the U.S. for 15 yrs, having some familiar items will make a big difference.

Thanks for the female perspective;-) I appreciate it!

Last edited by Baadil; Jun 3rd 2007 at 9:16 pm.
Baadil is offline  
Old Jun 5th 2007, 8:56 pm
  #14  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 79
Norm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to all
Default Re: Shipping costs/firms from U.S. to U.K.

Originally Posted by Baadil
Now now, no need to to attack a poor minority soul here

I think all the girly stuff 'needed' can fit in 6-8 suit cases and 4 boxes
This from the man that wants to pack his power tools...lol

We are moving at the end of July back to the UK and I am doing the exact some thing. Everytime I walk into a room, I think, Oh I have to take that..lol.. I can't live without this..lol. I am a pack horse and so worried about ploughing through all this stuff... We have 4 kids. We are taking the Ikea stuff we already have. My bed is in 2 halfs so no need to worry about the boxspring. But being a king size I worry will it fit..lol.. But its all mexican pine and I love it..lol. Trying to get the kids to part with anything is going to be awful. Trash day I keep sending my daughter up to the neighbors to throw out some of her stuff and yes she has noticed..

We are leaning towards a 20 ft container because we aren't taking everything. I wasn't going to bother with the towels and bed linen, kitchen stuff I am going to leave behind although my nice coffee maker may just fall into a box..lol.. I daren't mention the plug thing..lol. Hubby would pack up the entire contents of the garage that being the case..lol..

I wish you well with your move.
Norm71 is offline  
Old Jun 5th 2007, 9:26 pm
  #15  
Senior Moment
 
Mitzyboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: On the edge
Posts: 20,460
Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping costs/firms from U.S. to U.K.

To help you, here are shipping container dimensions

http://www.sjonescontainers.co.uk/dimensions.htm
Mitzyboy is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.