Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

shipping costs back to the UK!

shipping costs back to the UK!

Old Aug 15th 2008, 1:38 am
Julia&Simon

jiffysquid will become famous soon enough
Smile shipping costs back to the UK!

Hi everyone we are on verge of shipping back to the uk so thought i would post the quotes we've had so far for shipping. These are for the sole use of a 20ft container with the door to door service (Brisbane to Lancashire) with them doing all the packing/unpacking!

Allied Pickfords: $8795
Crown Relocations: $8495
Wridgeways; $8500
Chess: $7750
Movements International: $7600

Quite a difference and some of them are all willing to negotiate against each other. Insurance is on top of this and so far i have found Uk based companies far cheaper. Hope this is useful to some of you?!

Cheers!!
Old Aug 16th 2008, 2:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: shipping costs back to the UK!

If it helps - we used Crown when we moved Chester to Dallas and were very very pleased with them and will use them on the return leg!
Old Aug 17th 2008, 8:13 am
BE Enthusiast

islandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to behold

We used Allied Pickfords to move from Adelaide to N Queensland and they were dreadful, the insurance mob was good though, we ended up with a $5k insurance claim out of it.
Old Aug 17th 2008, 8:40 am
BE Enthusiast

nicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond repute

I am about to book Chess for a 20ft container from GC to sheffield. I was quoted 7500 but have bartered them down to 7200. Who did you use for your insurance? I could do with a cheaper quote if possible
Old Aug 17th 2008, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

Location: Back in Scotland after two dreadful years in Brisbane.
maka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of light

Hi we are moving brisbane to Scotland and been quoted 20 ft sole use pack and unpack:

King and Wilson:$9199
Oceansky:$7678
OSS:$6955

All charge 3.5% insurance but we are going use a Uk based company Letton Percival and they are charging 1.6%.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 12:04 am
Julia&Simon

wow - what a difference in quotes - it has made me go back to them again and Movements International are now offering $7400. Altho will definately contact OSS and see what they offer!!

Re: Insurance - most of the companies here seem to hold at around 3.4% of the value of your goods. So we are also using letton Percival - uk based and do it for 1.6%. A friend of mine used them last year moving back from Oz and had to make a claim, she said it was hassle free and they paid out immediately.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 12:48 am
BE Enthusiast

3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute

Really useful thread for us, thanks - we are returning to UK next May. Prices are a bit steep though aren't they? - Better get saving!
Old Aug 18th 2008, 3:35 am
Julia&Simon

Hi 3 go mad in Adelaide! Prices are high but i think the fule prices have much to do with it...? Just make sure you barter all the companies down, if you can be bothered keep ringing each one with the different quotes. I have found Chess, International Movements and OSS to be the most competitive against each other!

good luck with your move,

Julia.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 6:05 am
BE Forum Addict

s-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by maka paka
Hi we are moving brisbane to Scotland and been quoted 20 ft sole use pack and unpack:

King and Wilson:$9199
Oceansky:$7678
OSS:$6955

All charge 3.5% insurance but we are going use a Uk based company Letton Percival and they are charging 1.6%.

LETTON PERCIVAL ARE RUBBISH! BEWARE! We insured with them on our move from Chesterfield to Sunshine Coast. Quote was great. very cheap. when it came to claiming, they didnt return emails or letters.... never had anything off them..... So watch it.. could be a one off but dont take any chances, my friend insured with shipping co at an extra 1.8% wish i'd done the same...

S-j
Old Aug 18th 2008, 8:11 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat055 is an unknown quantity at this point

Melbourne to Cambridgeshire.... arrives tomorrow

$7000 door to door.

OSS
Old Aug 18th 2008, 9:03 am
BE Enthusiast

islandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to behold

Great thread for info about going back, thanks everyone, I am planning for February.

Can you put alcohol (ie my wine collection) in the container or would Customs & Excise want to charge duty and taxes on the wine?
Old Aug 19th 2008, 1:28 am
BE Enthusiast

3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute

Wine collection?!, Nah, I'll just come over and help you with that!
Old Aug 19th 2008, 1:35 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

This is a sobering thread (forgive the unintentional pun). I remember some of you guys posting before you emigrated and now you are on your way back. For those reading but not posting can you give a timeframe to your travels?
Old Aug 19th 2008, 1:54 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by jiffysquid
Hi everyone we are on verge of shipping back to the uk so thought i would post the quotes we've had so far for shipping. These are for the sole use of a 20ft container with the door to door service (Brisbane to Lancashire) with them doing all the packing/unpacking!

Allied Pickfords: $8795
Crown Relocations: $8495
Wridgeways; $8500
Chess: $7750
Movements International: $7600

Quite a difference and some of them are all willing to negotiate against each other. Insurance is on top of this and so far i have found Uk based companies far cheaper. Hope this is useful to some of you?!

Cheers!!

Allied Pickfords quoted me $12,000 for a 20ft container, robbing bas**rds.

I chose Kents with a quote of $7,700 for 20 foot container.

Wonder why it costs more to leave Oz than come here.
Old Aug 19th 2008, 1:56 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat055 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by islandergirl
Great thread for info about going back, thanks everyone, I am planning for February.

Can you put alcohol (ie my wine collection) in the container or would Customs & Excise want to charge duty and taxes on the wine?
Have a look through UK C3 Customs Form, from http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/

Seems to depend, where your collection came from, i.e locally bought or previously bought in the EC.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.