Shipping costs

Old Jul 20th 2005, 10:49 am
Anxiously awaiting March

vicky o will become famous soon enoughvicky o will become famous soon enough
Default Shipping costs

Hi everyone,
We just got a quote from Kent Moving for shipping a 40ft container from Perth to London and they want $13300. Does that seem excessive to anyone?

We have started looking around for alternatives and have come across a site called "upakweship". Has anyone had any experience with these chaps? And if so, was it a good experience?

Cheers me dears!
Old Jul 20th 2005, 12:02 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping costs

Originally Posted by vicky o
Hi everyone,
We just got a quote from Kent Moving for shipping a 40ft container from Perth to London and they want $13300. Does that seem excessive to anyone?

We have started looking around for alternatives and have come across a site called "upakweship". Has anyone had any experience with these chaps? And if so, was it a good experience?

Cheers me dears!
Did you search the forum for similar threads? There have been several. I recall upakweship being mentioned.

Sorry, I can't help you, I'm in the US not Oz.
Old Jul 20th 2005, 1:25 pm
scoobydoo

Hi everyone,

Cheers me dears!

We moved back from Melbourne with Kents at a cost of $7000 for a 20 foot container. So that price for a 40 ft sounds OK. At the time they seemed very efficient....but they only sent one bloke to pack the whole of our 4 bed house in 2 days!!! He did it in a mad frenzy of cartons and bubble wrap!

When the firm this end unpacked for us they found the packing to be a bit odd in that stuff was squashed here and there in with things it didn't go with, and the labeling on the boxes didn't always correspond with what was in it! But nothing was broken.

You definatly get what you pay for.

Sorry, no experience with self packing, but wouldn't it be a hassle with customs etc???

Best wishes with the move. When are you coming back?
Scoobs x

Old Jul 20th 2005, 2:54 pm
Anxiously awaiting March

Hi Scooby,
We're coming back in March. Although, saying that, the estate agents are sending someone to view our rental house on Saturday.

Whereabouts in the UK are you?

Vicky
Old Jul 20th 2005, 3:14 pm
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Scooby,
We're coming back in March. Although, saying that, the estate agents are sending someone to view our rental house on Saturday.

Vicky
Hi Vicky

That price sounds about right for a 40ft container . I know Janeyray came back from Perth but can't recall her situation. We came back from Sydney with a 20ft and it cost in region of $9,000 inc insurance.

How long have you been there? Where are you coming back to?

Cheers

P
Old Jul 20th 2005, 3:25 pm
scoobydoo

Hi Scooby,

Vicky

March is a good time to come back here as spring will be coming and we found it easier to come back to that than the winter!

We are on the South coast near Portsmouth...all half settled back although still have moments of itchy feet...very bizarre! Love being back ...friends, family etc. Back to the good old NHS as a bank nurse :scared:

Old Jul 20th 2005, 7:14 pm
Forum Regular

Andy Pandy is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Shipping costs

Hi everyone,

Cheers me dears!
Vicky,
That price is very excessive. I used this company who will drop the container to your door. A 20ft container which we packed ourselves, cost in Aus dollars from Hillarys,Perth to Stratford Upon Avon UK $2,500. They are based in Freemantle, Transmarine Shipping, contact John. email address [email protected]
Get a few guys and pack the container yourselves and you will save thousands$$$$
Regards,
Andrew
Old Jul 21st 2005, 4:02 am
Anxiously awaiting March

Originally Posted by Pants
Hi Vicky

That price sounds about right for a 40ft container . I know Janeyray came back from Perth but can't recall her situation. We came back from Sydney with a 20ft and it cost in region of $9,000 inc insurance.

How long have you been there? Where are you coming back to?

Cheers

P
Hi, we're moving back to Kent. We're looking at Pett's Wood at the moment.
We've been here for nearly a year, 18 months by the time we leave.
We've had a good time, mostly, since we came over, but I can't wait to get back to Good Ol' Blighty.

V
Old Jul 21st 2005, 4:03 am
Anxiously awaiting March

Originally Posted by scoobydoo
March is a good time to come back here as spring will be coming and we found it easier to come back to that than the winter!

We are on the South coast near Portsmouth...all half settled back although still have moments of itchy feet...very bizarre! Love being back ...friends, family etc. Back to the good old NHS as a bank nurse :scared:

I'm a nurse too. Hoping to get one of my old jobs back up in London.
Old Jul 21st 2005, 4:04 am
Anxiously awaiting March

Originally Posted by Andy Pandy
Vicky,
That price is very excessive. I used this company who will drop the container to your door. A 20ft container which we packed ourselves, cost in Aus dollars from Hillarys,Perth to Stratford Upon Avon UK $2,500. They are based in Freemantle, Transmarine Shipping, contact John. email address [email protected]
Get a few guys and pack the container yourselves and you will save thousands$$$$
Regards,
Andrew

Many thanks for this Andrew. I knew it must be able to be done cheaper somehow. Is the paperwork a nightmare? Can you still get marine insurance easily enough?
Old Jul 21st 2005, 6:23 am
Forum Regular

Many thanks for this Andrew. I knew it must be able to be done cheaper somehow. Is the paperwork a nightmare? Can you still get marine insurance easily enough?
Vicky,
Transmarine have there own clearing agent in the UK, if your items have been in Australia for 12 months then you pay no import duties. I import 40ft containers from Aisia of (furniture) most month, so expect these costs as follows...
Terminal Handling charge £69.00
IFP/BAF £113.25
CAF £61.77
CUSTOMS CLEARANCE £45
HANDLING / DOCUMENTATION FEE £20
CUSTOMS EXAMINATION £11
PORT SECURITY FEE DESTINATION £9.50
DTI FEE £2.60

I paid Transmarine in Aus dollars for delivery- Perth to Warwickshire.
You will find transmarine in the perth yellow pages, the reason I used tham was that the owner lived in the same street in Hillarys as me and they quoted the best price.
Regards,
Andrew
Old Jul 21st 2005, 6:29 am
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, we're moving back to Kent. We're looking at Pett's Wood at the moment.
We've been here for nearly a year, 18 months by the time we leave.
We've had a good time, mostly, since we came over, but I can't wait to get back to Good Ol' Blighty.

V

Looks like Andy Pandy has the right info, what a huge difference.

I know Pett's Wood near Orpington. What are your reasons for coming back Vicky?

Still you have a while yet before your return. Do you live in a nice area of Perth?I never went to Perth but would love to go sometime, I have heard many good points and just a few bad.

P
Old Jul 21st 2005, 6:35 am
Forum Regular

Sorry,
yes marine insurance. You tell them the value and they have the relevant forms etc. The higher charges you have been quoted for is for packing and unpacking a container, if you decide to pack yourselves, get a roll of bubble wrap and a roll of corrugated cardboard and a roll of tape.
Put all small breakage ie. glasses wrapped in newspaper then inside drawers/cupboards etc. Just make sure that the larger items have no movement ie.pack tightly inside the container.
Are you putting a car in the container?
Regards,
Andrew
Old Jul 21st 2005, 7:53 am
Anxiously awaiting March

Originally Posted by Pants
Looks like Andy Pandy has the right info, what a huge difference.

I know Pett's Wood near Orpington. What are your reasons for coming back Vicky?

Still you have a while yet before your return. Do you live in a nice area of Perth?I never went to Perth but would love to go sometime, I have heard many good points and just a few bad.

P
Hi,
My 3 year old son has been diagnosed with an autistic disorder and I want the support of family and friends. There isn't too much of a difference in the care in either country, but when I need a break, I want him to go to someone who loves him for being him and not someone who is doing me a favour. Do you get what I mean?
That's not the only reason. I haven't settled at all, and I know we haven't been here long, I just feel like I would never come to like it here as much as I love England. But hey! We tried and we've had a fantastic experience, made loads of new friends and we'll never forget it.

As for Perth itself, when we first came here, I loved the isolation, but then little things start to bug you, like postage costs from inside Australia, waiting for things to arrive in stores when they are already in the catalogue. It's just a distance thing really. The other thing that really bugs me is the poor power system. One lightening strike and it wipes out the whole of Perth. There was an electrical fire in an Old People's Home a couple of weeks ago, just up the road and we had no power for 3 1/2 hours. Crazy!!

Anyway, I'm not a whinging pom really.

V
Old Jul 21st 2005, 7:54 am
Anxiously awaiting March

Originally Posted by Andy Pandy
Sorry,
yes marine insurance. You tell them the value and they have the relevant forms etc. The higher charges you have been quoted for is for packing and unpacking a container, if you decide to pack yourselves, get a roll of bubble wrap and a roll of corrugated cardboard and a roll of tape.
Put all small breakage ie. glasses wrapped in newspaper then inside drawers/cupboards etc. Just make sure that the larger items have no movement ie.pack tightly inside the container.
Are you putting a car in the container?
Regards,
Andrew

Gee Andrew, you are a mine of information. Thanks a lot for all this. It will put my hubby's mind at rest.
We aren't taking the car. It's cheaper to sell it and get a new, albeit secondhand one, when we get back.
Much obliged, I think we'll give them a ring.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.