Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Shipping cost from NJ, USA to UK

Shipping cost from NJ, USA to UK

Old Dec 12th 2021, 3:19 pm
Just Joined

DharmeshSonigra is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shipping cost from NJ, USA to UK

Hi - i would be moving from USA (New Jersey) to UK (London). Need to ship personal items and few stuff - i believe 20ft container cost would be cheaper than using pallet services.
Can you please share name of shipping company?
Old Feb 8th 2022, 8:38 pm
Just Joined

MGH888 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Shipping cost from NJ, USA to UK

I just got a door to door quote for USA - North Carolina to Chester UK - 20 ft container. $4,200.

https://www.rssllc.net/

Somewhere on these forums I saw someone quote $1200 port to port and I am trying to find that info.... Good luck.
Old Feb 8th 2022, 8:47 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MGH888
I just got a door to door quote for USA - North Carolina to Chester UK - 20 ft container. $4,200.

Somewhere on these forums I saw someone quote $1200 port to port and I am trying to find that info.... Good luck.
Port to Port is one thing.

Door to door is a whole nother kettle of fish.

Old Feb 8th 2022, 8:52 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Door to door? That's less than half than anything I'm getting. Is that with them doing all the packing and everything? Do they do all the customs stuff?

I'm in Chicago, so not on the East Coast, so that must make some difference, but that much? Reading their site, they sound like "shippers" more than "movers". But if that's their price then I'm all over it like a rug.

Last edited by Lion in Winter; Feb 8th 2022 at 9:19 pm.
Old Feb 8th 2022, 9:20 pm
Just Joined

That is self packing. They deliver the 20 footer and then take it away and deliver to the house in England. I have not done any review or digging on the company yet, so no feedback to share.

I have not got a full service quote yet. I figured I could hire 2 guys for a day if need be ... We aren't taking the entire furniture for the 4 bedroom house and think a 20 ft will be more than enough. Good luck - definitely get a partial or self pack quote, you might be surprised.
Old Feb 8th 2022, 11:18 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

That is self packing. They deliver the 20 footer and then take it away and deliver to the house in England. I have not done any review or digging on the company yet, so no feedback to share.

I have not got a full service quote yet. I figured I could hire 2 guys for a day if need be ... We aren't taking the entire furniture for the 4 bedroom house and think a 20 ft will be more than enough. Good luck - definitely get a partial or self pack quote, you might be surprised.

Sadly we have zero space to park a container. We are in an apartment building at an intersection and no parking.
Old Feb 9th 2022, 2:35 am
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

I was quoted $1900 Norfolk VA to Liverpool ocean freight just before Chistmas.
Old Feb 9th 2022, 2:39 am
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

I you are having a container dropped off you will pay twice the amount of road freight as it will be four trips plus another day for the chassis rental.
The cost between a 20 and 40 footer is usually minimal.
If you are well organized with help you should be able to load within the two to three hour time.
Depending on the time of year load in the morning containers get very hot.
Old Feb 9th 2022, 1:07 pm
Just Joined

Lion : So that same company does a full service - it was an additional $650 to load and then another $950 to unload. I suspect that your challenges with available space also factor into your elevated costs. If it is more difficult for you then it is also more difficult for them.

Otto : Yes, I think we should be fine. I'll inventory the items we are taking and make sure the 20 footer has plenty of space . If anything we'll need to come up with some smart padding/packing materials to prevent the stuff inside moving around too much.
Old Feb 9th 2022, 1:53 pm

Lion : So that same company does a full service - it was an additional $650 to load and then another $950 to unload. I suspect that your challenges with available space also factor into your elevated costs. If it is more difficult for you then it is also more difficult for them.

The way they've described it is that they come and pack the stuff on one day, and then load out the next, pretty much like domestic moves I've done.

Insurance is also hideous. $12 per pound x the weight of the shipment, and the premium is 2.95% of that. Is that standard? It's umbrella insurance. There is a lower cost at $6 per pound but that requires a list of EVERYTHING with its replacement value in the UK. Not really feasible. And some things aren't "replaceable" anyway.

The reviews on RSS LLC are very spotty. Some people are very happy, others seem to have had disasters with their stuff going missing or getting broken. I'm guessing there's huge variability in who these companies contract out to.

Last edited by Lion in Winter; Feb 9th 2022 at 2:02 pm.
Old Feb 10th 2022, 10:14 pm
Forum Regular

Russet has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond reputeRusset has a reputation beyond repute

We are in the process of shipping CT to UK. We did not have enough for a 20 ft container - probably just over half - so it is going groupage combined in a larger container with others. It looks as though it will be $4500 door to door.
Old Feb 22nd 2022, 6:02 pm
Forum Regular

Rebster has a spectacular aura aboutRebster has a spectacular aura aboutRebster has a spectacular aura about

I'm curious - what kind of time frame for delivery did they give you?

We are looking at moving this fall (from NC) but will be staying with family until we find a rental home. Wondering if we would have time to get that sorted before the container arrived.
Old Feb 22nd 2022, 8:48 pm
Just Joined

I asked them today and 4-6 weeks was expressed as reasonable - but they mentioned the current climate of issues and that can and do impact shipments. Out of NC - Charleston SC is the port our container would ship through and that port seems to have had less hiccups. I suspect that whenever we move it will be a little bit of a coin toss and allowing anywhere up to 8 weeks would be a good bet.
Old Feb 22nd 2022, 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by Rebster
I'm curious - what kind of time frame for delivery did they give you?

We are looking at moving this fall (from NC) but will be staying with family until we find a rental home. Wondering if we would have time to get that sorted before the container arrived.
I asked them today and 4-6 weeks was expressed as reasonable - but they mentioned the current climate of issues and that can and do impact shipments. Out of NC - Charleston SC is the port our container would ship through and that port seems to have had less hiccups. I suspect that whenever we move it will be a little bit of a coin toss and allowing anywhere up to 8 weeks would be a good bet.

I was just quoted 8-10 weeks, Chicago to UK, most likely 10.
Old Mar 2nd 2022, 11:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

cluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond repute

I'm looking at these posts and get the feeling we're being taken advantage of a little. We're shipping around 450 cubic feet of items from Oregon to the Isle of Wight. For door-to-door we've been quoted just north of $12k via ocean groupage. At that rate, I'm trying to persuade my wife just to take her personal mementos and we'll rebuy new stuff there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.