Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Shipping cost - Melbourne to UK

Shipping cost - Melbourne to UK

Old Feb 26th 2011, 5:59 am
Top Dog

sniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to all
Default Shipping cost - Melbourne to UK

Hi all,

Going to be moving back to the UK from Melbourne. Has anyone had any quotes for 40ft container? Who did you use? Also any recommendations for getting our cats back home?

Thanks.

S.Dog.
Old Feb 26th 2011, 10:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping cost - Melbourne to UK

Hi sorry cant answer your questions, but didnt you just move over to Aus? I feel sorry for you if thats the case. Good luck!
Old Feb 27th 2011, 8:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Bumping this for you - sorry cant help as we havent had to do this (although I live in hopes!)
Old Feb 28th 2011, 1:49 am
Just Joined

wim121 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sniffydog
Hi all,

Going to be moving back to the UK from Melbourne. Has anyone had any quotes for 40ft container? Who did you use? Also any recommendations for getting our cats back home?

Thanks.

S.Dog.
I dont know if it helps, but I recently looked at the price to get a container from the UK to AUS/NZ, it would cost thousands! We did find one company to do it though for under a grand (UK money)

We decided instead, it's more economical to sell what we have and then move.

PS: Why on earth would you want to move back to the UK? If you're interested, we're in the NW UK and wanting to get as far away as possible.

I state this as house swapping might be a viable alternative and far less costly for you. Would work out great for us!

Anyway comiserations for you having to come back to hell.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 1:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wim121
PS: Why on earth would you want to move back to the UK? If you're interested, we're in the NW UK and wanting to get as far away as possible.

I state this as house swapping might be a viable alternative and far less costly for you. Would work out great for us!

Anyway comiserations for you having to come back to hell.
I think you might be in the wrong forum LOL - sometimes people know which side their bread is buttered and it aint Australia - the a*se end of the world (thank you Paul Keating!) - you're not here yet, I see.

Perhaps if you moved away from the North West you might find the environment less hellish (I wouldnt really choose Bradford either!)
Old Feb 28th 2011, 2:33 am
Just Joined

wim121 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by quoll
I think you might be in the wrong forum LOL - sometimes people know which side their bread is buttered and it aint Australia - the a*se end of the world (thank you Paul Keating!) - you're not here yet, I see.

Perhaps if you moved away from the North West you might find the environment less hellish (I wouldnt really choose Bradford either!)
Lol ....

No I just thought I'd lend some advice in to costs as we looked in to it and realised it was prohibitive to the extreme!

I have lived all over the UK before. I havnt had a trial trip to Australia yet ..
Old Feb 28th 2011, 4:18 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wim121
Lol ....

No I just thought I'd lend some advice in to costs as we looked in to it and realised it was prohibitive to the extreme!

I have lived all over the UK before. I havnt had a trial trip to Australia yet ..
I can assure you i was thinking and posting like you before i came to oz, been here 4 years now and when i look back on my posts i was sooooooo naieve, its a very true saying 'you dont know what you've got until its gone'.

Goodluck
Old Feb 28th 2011, 9:55 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat055 is an unknown quantity at this point

As someone who has done this (twice!!) our most recent costs were

20ft $6300

40ft $8300

These were based on self pack of boxes, they export wrapped furniture. We filled a 20ft to the brim. The price for 40ft was incase we brought the car, but in the end choose to sell it in Melbourne. I woul dguess that if it was 40ft of household goods, then the price may rise abit due to the time taken to wrpa and load all the additional bits.

We used Chess this time, and OSS last time. Preferred Chess, but I think it is all down to the crew you get.

Next time I will just dump all furniture and send a part load......none of our stuff fits the UK house

Peter
Old Feb 28th 2011, 4:44 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ValeSpark

Next time I will just dump all furniture and send a part load......none of our stuff fits the UK house

Peter
Old Mar 1st 2011, 12:55 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

20ft $6300

40ft $8300

These were based on self pack of boxes, they export wrapped furniture. We filled a 20ft to the brim. The price for 40ft was incase we brought the car, but in the end choose to sell it in Melbourne. I woul dguess that if it was 40ft of household goods, then the price may rise abit due to the time taken to wrpa and load all the additional bits.

We used Chess this time, and OSS last time. Preferred Chess, but I think it is all down to the crew you get.

Peter

Pete are you back in the u.k
Old Mar 1st 2011, 8:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Almo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud of

20ft $6300

40ft $8300

Peter
Blimey. We're in the very early stages of pricing up moving back to the UK and one of the things on my list is to check shipping costs. It'll still be worth it, I think, rather than replacing all our stuff, but it certainly all adds up!

We're only moving ourselves and two cats and we're not planning on going for 18 months+ but already I have lists everywhere - I can't imagine what it's like for those who move a whole family!