Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Shipping Company recommendations US-UK

Shipping Company recommendations US-UK

Old Sep 11th 2011, 1:47 am
Irish Green

nirish83 will become famous soon enough
Default Shipping Company recommendations US-UK

We're moving from the US to the UK in the next month and have various quotes from shipping companies. We have approx. 400 cubic feet of stuff (not taking any furniture) and have the following quotes:
- Suddath International - $5425
- Echo Trans World Inc - $4256
- Blue Horizon Shipping - $4995
- Crown Relocations - $7995
- Atlas International - $5490

Does anyone have any feedback on any of these companies? Obviously we want the least expensive option, but don't want there to be problems.
Old Sep 11th 2011, 3:50 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping Company recommendations US-UK

No idea, but the last two companies have been mentioned on BE a fair bit, mostly going in the other direction.

A lot of it depends on who is contracted on either end to do the work though.
Old Sep 12th 2011, 6:07 am
Forum Regular

salgb has a brilliant futuresalgb has a brilliant futuresalgb has a brilliant futuresalgb has a brilliant futuresalgb has a brilliant futuresalgb has a brilliant future

Just did a search for complaints on the companies you listed and found this web site...

http://www.movinganswers.org/thread/...c-019522N.html
Old Sep 13th 2011, 10:24 am
J.J
BE Enthusiast

J.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to all

we used http://www.upakweship.com/index.php from US to UK for boxes, no furniture.
Good effective service and communication throughout, good price - but had to arrange own pick up from the shipper warehouse (Brentwod vicinity if I recall correctly) to UK home.
Old Sep 14th 2011, 6:54 pm
Just Joined

dylanboyd is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I am currently arranging a move back to the UK and the best quote I had was for $3,500 for a 20 foot container leaving from Iowa to Birmingham, UK. Now I will have to pay $500 extra to have it delivered to my address in Telford. Still for $4000 I get my own container that is locked down. I believe you can fit up to around 1000 cubic feet in a 20 foot container. I do have to self pack and load and have to have it loaded in 2 hours or they charge $75 extra for each extra hour, this is standard with any company. The company I am using is sky2c, the reviews look ok so far...Good luck.
Old Sep 18th 2011, 3:13 pm
Irish Green

nirish83 will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: Shipping Company recommendations US-UK

I signed a contract with Suddath International. We will be shipping at the end of September and then keeping it in storage for a while in England until we find our own place. I'll post my experiences on here when it's all said and done.
Thanks for all the info - it helped a lot
Old Oct 10th 2011, 1:16 pm
Just Joined

G.n.Tgirl is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by dylanboyd
Hi,

I am currently arranging a move back to the UK and the best quote I had was for $3,500 for a 20 foot container leaving from Iowa to Birmingham, UK. Now I will have to pay $500 extra to have it delivered to my address in Telford. Still for $4000 I get my own container that is locked down. I believe you can fit up to around 1000 cubic feet in a 20 foot container. I do have to self pack and load and have to have it loaded in 2 hours or they charge $75 extra for each extra hour, this is standard with any company. The company I am using is sky2c, the reviews look ok so far...Good luck.
Hi there,
Have you any updates on the removal company you used? We need a 20ft container going from NJ to UK and this price seems very competitive.

Would love to hear back on how the move went/is going.

Thanks v much!
Old Oct 10th 2011, 1:50 pm
Forum Regular

Maltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really nice

Originally Posted by G.n.Tgirl
Hi there,
Have you any updates on the removal company you used? We need a 20ft container going from NJ to UK and this price seems very competitive.

Would love to hear back on how the move went/is going.

Thanks v much!
Us too,would appreciate a review when your process is complete, Thanks!

Sounds like a great price.
Old Oct 10th 2011, 2:28 pm
Just Joined

Hi,

So far so good. The container came on 21 September and has sailed from the east coast on 30 sep. So by 18 October it should be in Liverpool and then to Birmingham. I had to pay some $600 extra to get it from Birmingham to Telford as the price they gave me was just to Birmingham as it is classed as in inland port.

On the day of moving the truck driver was 1 hour early but that was ok as I had hired some help and we loaded the truck in 1.5 hours. It is standard to charge $75 hour for every hour over 2 hours when loading.

Good luck with your move. I would recommend sky 2 c with everything I have seen so far.
Old Oct 10th 2011, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

Maltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really nice

how tightly packed did you pack your container? Did you use boxes or plastic containers?
Old Oct 10th 2011, 2:38 pm
Just Joined

I had 140 or so items and mainly cardboard boxes. There were some furniture items too and I wrapped and packed everything myself. I did not fill the whole container, maybe 3/4 full. I had to stagger some boxes at the back so things would not tip back into the free space.