Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Shipping Cats...how to make it to the airport in one piece

Shipping Cats...how to make it to the airport in one piece

Old Jun 3rd 2015, 12:52 am
Forum Regular

LBJR07 is just really niceLBJR07 is just really niceLBJR07 is just really niceLBJR07 is just really niceLBJR07 is just really niceLBJR07 is just really niceLBJR07 is just really niceLBJR07 is just really nice
Default Shipping Cats...how to make it to the airport in one piece

When the time comes to move I will be bringing two cats over from the U.S. I am a little concerned about how they'll do with the journey especially as I am about a 3 hour drive from a major airport. How have people dealt with the journey to the airport? Did you get your cat to use a litter tray before checking them in at the cargo facility? Any tips? I haven't looked at transport companies yet as I'm sure they'll be out of my budget but I welcome any suggestions!
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

the1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping Cats...how to make it to the airport in one piece

I was a four hour drive from the airport and had to have my cat at the cargo place four hours before the plane actually left, then the travel time was eight or ten hours, I can't recall. So I decided to drive to the airport area the day before and stay overnight.
I've never been successful at getting a cat to use a litter tray when I wanted them to, so I got one of these pads
Hard Soft Sided Carriers Dog Kennel Bed Extra Absorbent Pet Pads 300 Reusable | eBay
to put in the carrier before we left for the airport and also lined the bottom and sides with pee pads for insurance. I don't think I got the pad from ebay and there may be cheaper places but that's the only link I can find right now.
When I picked her up at Heathrow there was shredded paper in the bottom of the carrier so the pad had obviously been used but I was happy to see that there was no mess in the carrier and she was clean too.
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 12:47 pm
Misses Los Angeles

MoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LBJR07
When the time comes to move I will be bringing two cats over from the U.S. I am a little concerned about how they'll do with the journey especially as I am about a 3 hour drive from a major airport. How have people dealt with the journey to the airport? Did you get your cat to use a litter tray before checking them in at the cargo facility? Any tips? I haven't looked at transport companies yet as I'm sure they'll be out of my budget but I welcome any suggestions!
When planning your airport transport, do bear in mind that, due to airline requirements, their travel crates will be HUGE (at least, compared to the type of cat carrier you'd take to the vet). Our two only just fit on the back seat. So make sure you have enough room for luggage and other passengers.

The good thing about having such big crates is that, if you wanted, you could probably fit a couple of small litter trays in there for the drive -- you'll have to remove them for the flight, though. It might be more trouble than it's worth; depends on the pet, but most cats seem to hold off pooping for the duration of any journey. Puppy pads or just lots of cheap fleece blankets are fine for the wee. Like the1mag, we picked up our cats from Heathrow and the team there had put shredded paper in the crates, but there was no horrible mess.

Last edited by MoshiMoshi; Jun 3rd 2015 at 12:49 pm.
Old Jun 6th 2015, 12:56 am
Forum Regular

LBJR07 is just really niceLBJR07 is just really niceLBJR07 is just really niceLBJR07 is just really niceLBJR07 is just really niceLBJR07 is just really niceLBJR07 is just really niceLBJR07 is just really nice

Thanks, these are really helpful suggestions. I was considering the hotel option it all depends on the flight times. How is the drop off at the cargo facility? Was it fairly straightforward?
Old Jun 6th 2015, 7:02 am
Misses Los Angeles

MoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, these are really helpful suggestions. I was considering the hotel option it all depends on the flight times. How is the drop off at the cargo facility? Was it fairly straightforward?
At LAX it was straightforward, but took a long time. They will weigh and check the containers, check all the paperwork, and print out about a million shipping documents of their own, some of which are attached to the container. They also calculate the final bill, which you pay then. I think we were there about an hour in total.

The only thing that wasn't straightforward was finding the BA cargo facility. At LAX all the cargo stuff is like a city in itself, and not especially set up for public access (all very industrial, and not walking distance from the main terminals), so make sure your airline gives you clear instructions about where to go and who to see.
Old Jun 6th 2015, 7:54 am
Forum Regular

the1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond repute

Couldn't have been easier. The hardest part was finding the place and leaving her there.
Old Jun 11th 2015, 6:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Richard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond repute

Cats being the shy creatures they are, and unlike dogs, don't travel well. They're not happy about it. Also, pets occasionally die in the cargo hold on long flights for various reasons, including stress and/or insufficient climate control.

I'm sure you know all this, but hopefully this is a one time transport and they'll make it through ok.
Old Jun 11th 2015, 7:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Richard8655
Cats being the shy creatures they are, and unlike dogs, don't travel well. They're not happy about it. Also, pets occasionally die in the cargo hold on long flights for various reasons, including stress and/or insufficient climate control.

I'm sure you know all this, but hopefully this is a one time transport and they'll make it through ok.

How reassuring.....cheers for that. I think I'll chance it though, the alternative would be putting them back into a shelter.
Old Jun 11th 2015, 7:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Richard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond repute

How reassuring.....cheers for that. I think I'll chance it though, the alternative would be putting them back into a shelter.
Sorry, I didn't mean to be down or negative, but just sharing facts and risks with transporting pets by airline, especially cats. Shelter would be worse for sure, and much better instead that they have a loving and caring owner. Best wishes on the travel.
Old Jun 11th 2015, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

I've travelled all over north america with my cats since the late 90s, and Cleo arrived unscathed on our flight from Canada to Heathrow.
Cats are as varied in their personality traits as people are and some will handle a flight better than others, that's true. But for someone who didn't mean to be down or negative you did a pretty good job of being both.