Shipping cats back to UK

Old Jun 19th 2007, 11:33 am
Forum Regular

maggiemou is just really nicemaggiemou is just really nicemaggiemou is just really nicemaggiemou is just really nicemaggiemou is just really nicemaggiemou is just really nicemaggiemou is just really nicemaggiemou is just really nice
Default Shipping cats back to UK

Hi all,

Anyone got any recommendations/advice on bringing our 2 cats back to UK? At the moment we are in UK but the puss tats are still in NZ staying with the friends who are renting our house - they are just starting the process for the Pet Passport scheme, so I guess it will be about another 7 months or so before we get to see them. I was wondering if other people have brought their animals back from NZ and if so who they used for the actual flight, how the process works etc? Also it would be useful to get some idea of the costs (please feel free to PM me if you don't want to divulge the info on a public forum) - I just want to be prepared!!

Cheers in anticipation

Maggie
Old Jun 21st 2007, 11:36 am
Just Joined

TillyB is just really niceTillyB is just really niceTillyB is just really niceTillyB is just really niceTillyB is just really niceTillyB is just really niceTillyB is just really niceTillyB is just really nice
Default Re: Shipping cats back to UK

Hi!

We are moving back to the UK from NZ next month and are flying our 2 cats home too.
To avoid them going into quarentine you need to follow the process of 1/ being microchipped 2/being rabies vaccinated 3/ having blood tests 5-6 weeks after jab to check the vaccine has worked. Then 6 months after the blood sample was taken they can fly straight back into the UK.
As we were a bit slow off the mark, our 2 cats have to stay here with friends until their 6 months are up...thankfully only 3 months left!
We have had a couple of quotes but Graham at [email protected] was the most reasonable at $2800.00. That is from their home here in Tauranga to Heathrow and includes the crates.They collect and transport them this side and we pick them up at Heathrow.
Hope this helps!
Old Jun 21st 2007, 11:42 am
Just Joined

TillyB is just really niceTillyB is just really niceTillyB is just really niceTillyB is just really niceTillyB is just really niceTillyB is just really niceTillyB is just really niceTillyB is just really nice

Forgot to say about the cost of rabies vaccine and blood tests but it might put you off!! Maybe just best to do it without knowing ,like I did! Can give you an idea if you want....they are worth it though!!!
Old Jun 21st 2007, 12:12 pm
Forum Regular

maggiemou is just really nicemaggiemou is just really nicemaggiemou is just really nicemaggiemou is just really nicemaggiemou is just really nicemaggiemou is just really nicemaggiemou is just really nicemaggiemou is just really nice

Hi TillyB,

Thanks so much for the info, and thanks for the link to the pettravel guys. The cats are both microchipped, so I guess what I need to get our friends to do next is to take the cats along to the vets to get the rabies injections and tests started (go on, scare me with the costs, best I'm prepared I suppose!! hee hee!) - we were also in Tauranga (the cats still are!!) - do you know if we can arrange for the vaccinations to be done at any vets? We usually take them along to the Animates vet (who I think is also in Cherrywood and Bethlehem).

We looked into the costs of quarantine if we decided to bring them back now rather than going down the pet passport route but for the two of them it was going to be £350-£400 per month - eek!

Can I be really cheeky and ask why you are coming back to UK? We were in Tauranga for about a year, but decided that NZ wasn't working for us as a family, and I was getting more and more concerned about the financial implications if we stayed out there much longer. However I loved Tauranga as a place, just want to re-create it here!!

Maggie x
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 12:21 am
Just Joined

Hi!

Well the cost of the vaccination and blood tests were not as expensive as quarentine at that cost! The vaccine was about $250 and the blood test was $450 for the 2 cats together ...so not so bad I suppose! I really don't want to leave them here but the thought of them being caged in the UK is harder still. I think most vets have at least one vet that is certified to do it. We took ours to the vet in Grange Rd, Vetcare....who are also in Cherrywood and Bethlehem....and they knew exactly what to do. We are in Matua....we were you?
Ok reasons for coming home to Hampshire!! I hope you like reading essays!Well we too have been here almost a year and I do love New Zealand and Tauranga is a great place to live. But like you it is not working for us as a family.
Our biggest issue is education, in particular at NCEA level. We have three children...2 at difficult ages! We left one in the UK to finish A levels and then she was going to join us. We came here with the other 2 aged 15 and 8. The 15 year old was about to start GCSE courses in the UK and to cut a long story short, we ended up sending him back to the UK after a term here to try and pick up his GCSE's again! For us, if you have able children, NCEA doesn't challenge them and able kids just cruise here. With more time , I now realise that Cambridge exams are a good alternative to NCEA but not in Tauranga. We had researched all this before we moved and actually spent 2 months here 2 years previously. But the reality was just not the same.
Our 8 year old settled very well but again isn't being stretched at school and it seems such a waste of an eager little mind! It all comes down to what you value in life , I suppose, and education isn't the be all and end all. However, for our 2 older ones it seemed unfair to jeopardise their future having come this far through school. My husband is a teacher here and finds the system here frustrating but that is another essay!!
For me personally, I now know I would be bored long term in New Zealand and I could see all my kids going overseas and me being stuck here! I think after 2 years I would be ready to move on.....feelings of isolation are kicking in! It is a beautiful place and we are going to miss it but we are returning with a different attitude to life. Our life in the UK was good and we appreciate that now. At the time we felt like a challlenge and we honestly thought the move would be a good thing for the kids. We are so glad we tried it as it has taught us all so much and the experience has been a huge challenge! I just want to sell our beautiful house here and get on where we left off in the UK as soon as possible.
Hope you haven't nodded off!
How old are your kids? Have you settled back into your old life? Would be keen to know who you shipped your container back with as I am about to book ours.
Thanks!
Tilly
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 1:44 am
Just Joined

Oh, silly me!!!

Re reading my post hasn't made it very clear! I have just listed the main reasons for it not working out but the reason for returning now is because I can't live one side of the world when 2 of my babies are on the other!! I feel like I am missing out on so much and need to be back enjoying their last few years at home, as soon as possible!!

Won't be soon enough for me......and I too am looking forward to sad things like supermarket shopping!!!!

Tillyx
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 9:48 am
Forum Regular

Hi Tilly, thanks so much for your responses, I can't believe how closely our circumstances resemble each other!! quite spooky! We rented in Matua for 6 months when we first arrived in Tauranga in late June last year - we were in Ivy Place which is just off Waratah Street, just round the corner from Ferguson Park which was wonderful as we have 2 kids of 2 and 1.

I really liked the area, and we may well have considered buying there, but instead opted for the new-build route. We bought a section on the Plateau (between the Pyes Pa road and the Oropi Road), and had the house of our dreams built, but it wasn't enough to make me feel settled, and to be honest with the high interest rates and reduced wages that other half was on compared to UK, we couldn't seem to make the sums add up! We have not sold the house yet as the sub-division is still being developed and we have therefore decided to wait for 18 months to see how the market pans out up there in the Bay of Plenty - we managed to rent the house out to some ex-pat friends who were looking for somewhere to rent for 18 months so its all worked out really well, especially as they were more than happy to nurse-maid the cats through the pet passport scheme too, and it meant the cats could stay in there own home. Obviously it has meant that we have not got any cash to put into a property over here as yet, and although we could get quite a large mortgage if we went down the self-certified route, we couldn't really find much that we liked and that was affordable in this area, so we have decided to rent instead. Have found a suitable house which we should be able to move into in early July, which fits in quite well with our container arriving back (fingers crossed!! it was due to arrive on 23 June, but have just been told that it got left behind in Singapore when it changed ships so is now due back on 5 July!! eeek!! We had a bad shipping experience on the way out, so we are really hoping that this delay is not going to be the start of another catalogue of disasters!! )

I can so understand what you say about the importance for you of ensuring that your kids are happy and are being challenged - although our kids are not yet at school age, other half and I are already very aware of the importance of education and have very strong ideas of what we want from an education establishment! I am however also very aware of the fact that for many people academic education is not the be all and end all, and so many kids of ex-pat families that I know in Tauranga have really benefitted from the "more rounded" education system, and their parents are really pleased that they have settled so well.

Whereabouts in Hants are you heading back to? If you'd like to stay in touch when you get back, it would be good to hear from you - I'll pm you my contact details.

Oh and by the way, going back to the original purpose of this thread () thanks for the info on the vaccine/blood tests fees - not actually as expensive as I thought they might have been, so thanks for that.

Oops, I seem to have written an essay again too! sorry!

Best wishes,

Maggie