shipping cars back

Old Jun 12th 2019, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

phoenix3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default shipping cars back

Hi hoping someone can help. For those of you who have shipped cars back to the UK, were there any challenges?
Was insurance an issue because the model is configured differently?
How about sat nav etc?
Thanks
Old Jun 13th 2019, 1:19 pm
UK spouse visa

movingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nice
Default Re: shipping cars back

Originally Posted by phoenix3
Hi hoping someone can help. For those of you who have shipped cars back to the UK, were there any challenges?
Was insurance an issue because the model is configured differently?
How about sat nav etc?
Thanks
Hi, i shipped my car back from USA to UK last year, here are a few comments on my experience:
  • The TOR/NOVA process is a pain in the rear, to make sure you don't pay tax on it, if you have owned it for a while you will not. I used a company to do it for me, they charged me 150 quid i can find the details if needed
  • Insurance from my experience was not an issue, NFU mutual who i went with did not care that it was left hand drive.
  • I used shipoverseas.com - the car went in a 40ft container along with my worldly possessions, all came back un-damaged
  • once the car was through NOVA etc it had to be modified (fog light had to be switched sides and the headlights had to have the angle changed so i don't blind people in the opposite direction)
  • Once road legal, then you gave to go through the V55 registration process with DVLA which was also a pain in the rear but do-able
Let me know any specific questions as you go through the process. Getting insurance before the car was registered was the biggest pain - use adrian flux. I took out a 6 month policy, they would insure based off VIN, then once registered i switched to NFU mutual

Cheers, RB
Old Jul 12th 2019, 7:10 pm
Just Joined

GeorginaUK is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello RB, do you remember how much you paid for the 40ft container to hold the car and personal items? Thank you for your information on shipping a car over - very useful.
Old Jul 14th 2019, 8:06 pm
UK spouse visa

movingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nice

Originally Posted by GeorginaUK
Hello RB, do you remember how much you paid for the 40ft container to hold the car and personal items? Thank you for your information on shipping a car over - very useful.
hi yes it was 4197 USD for the container - there were some landing fees etc but as for a cost for the container that was it