Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Shipping car from USA to UK

Shipping car from USA to UK

Old Jun 24th 2021, 2:32 am
Just Joined

RoyalBlood77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shipping car from USA to UK

I am considering shipping a car from the US to the UK when we move next year. Has anyone taken cars when they moved? If so, what are your experiences?
What are the tax implications?

Old Jun 29th 2021, 7:45 am
UK spouse visa

movingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nicemovingtolakes is just really nice
Default Re: Shipping car from USA to UK

Hi

I shipped my car back in 2018 from USA to UK as part of a big family move back to UK. You will have to apply for a transfer of residence (Application for transfer of residence relief (ToR1) - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)) to the HMRC for your car and other belongings and you won't pay any VAT if you have owned the car over a certain period of time while you were in the USA i don't recall the threshold, Its a royal pain in the rear to be honest, I had http://www.carshipuk.co.uk/ do most of the paperwork for me.

If you've got more specific questions let me know and i can dig through my emails to see precisely what i did to complete the process - RB
Old Jul 15th 2021, 12:24 am
Just Joined

RoyalBlood77 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for the information. I might have more questions later.
Old Jul 19th 2021, 11:37 am
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

What car will you be exporting to the UK ?
It is not complicated the title will need to be stamped " Export Approved " by US Customs.
The two main costs are shipping to the docks if you can not drive it your self and RORO costs to the UK.
Depending on the model is may need the indicators / turn signals and brake lights modifying to UK specs.