Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Shipping from California to UK

Shipping from California to UK

Old Apr 24th 2021, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

Rebster has a spectacular aura aboutRebster has a spectacular aura aboutRebster has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Shipping from California to UK

Originally Posted by Josephine25
I would highly recommend Rainier. They were excellent all around and I would certainly use them again.
I didn't love the packers they subcontracted to. They didn't do a great job I found out on this end, but only one thing was broken. I gave the feedback to Mark at Rainier and he was on it right away. Not really any hidden costs. It was as he said. Due to COVID we had problems moving into our rentals so we stored it with Britannia in the UK, which was organised by Rainier. Couldn't have been easier and in doing so I kept my insurance until I received my belongings.
Good luck.
I know this is an old thread, but I'm hoping that Josephine25 might be available to comment on their experience with Britannia for storage of their shipment. We are looking at having our items stored for a few months. We are currently obtaining quotes for the shipping container, but have not yet received any information about transferring to a storage unit. I'm wondering about the cost of that, and if it was stored close to the arriving port or near your new home? I saw the reply that Rainier had arranged the storage through Britannia and was curious how it all turned out.

Has anyone else used a storage unit for a period of time after shipment of goods? If so, any details you might share would be appreciated.
Old Apr 24th 2021, 9:15 pm
Just Joined

Josephine25 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Rebster,
Britannia were excellent. They met the container in Southampton and then emptied the container, transferred it to their trucks and stored it for a couple of months. I can't exactly remember the cost but it was within what I would have paid for at another UK storage facility. The benefit was that since Britannia met the shipment and kept it until I received it, the customs chain of custody was intact and my insurance continued until 45 days after it was delivered to me in Greater Manchester. I want to say it was stored in Rochdale because, due to COVID, our rental fell through and we ended up quarantining at my parents in Yorkshire, but either way we gave them our new address and they delivered it no problem.

Ranier organised the entire Britannia end of things. Kate and Rachel from Britannia were on the ball. It was very organised and the whole thing was so easy. I had to give two weeks notice for delivery, that was in September of 2020 so not sure if things will be better or worse now given the state of the world and it was exactly two weeks. I had paid Ranier for packing (had to) and that included unpacking and removal of all packing materials at this end. Unfortunately, I couldn't take advantage of that at no fault of Britannia, but the delivery guys were excellent, efficient and very experienced. To be honest, after planning a move back to the UK, which was tough before the pandemic messed things up, this was one of the easier parts of the entire move.
Hope this helps. Let me know if I can help more.
Good luck!
Old Jul 10th 2021, 3:53 pm
Still Glazers Out!

Cainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone know offhand if this company (Rainier) can move belongings from Little Rock, Arkansas to the UK (Belfast)?