Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

shipping boxes from US to UK - best method

shipping boxes from US to UK - best method

Old Apr 13th 2010, 5:26 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Texas and soon back to normality in the UK!!!!Yeh!!!!!
dottypotty is just really nicedottypotty is just really nicedottypotty is just really nicedottypotty is just really nicedottypotty is just really nicedottypotty is just really nicedottypotty is just really nicedottypotty is just really nicedottypotty is just really nicedottypotty is just really nicedottypotty is just really nice
Default Re: shipping boxes from US to UK - best method

I have my brother picking up the three of in his people carrier (minivan over here). I have one here and we can fit my sons' wheelchair (once we take it apart) and 7 cases in our van. It certainly seems the most cost effective way of bringing things back.
Old Apr 13th 2010, 7:49 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Why not excess baggage fee at the airport? Most airlines allow you to take upto 8-10 bags. The first two are free (or something like that) and then you pay a charge for the ones after that. But it's a fixed charge upto a certain weight.
Maybe back in the day, but no longer. Now, on most airlines, your first regular checked bag is free, you pay something like $45-50 for your second regular bag (depending upon the airline), and any additional bags you pay through the nose for...like $100 for the first extra bag; $200 for the second; then $300 for every additional bag. It's criminal!
Old Apr 13th 2010, 7:55 pm
DDL

Originally Posted by dottypotty
DDL - Do you think photographs (of the old fashioned kind) would be included under the description of printed matter?
As Mummy pointed out so well, according to the rules I think photographs would be admissable in an M-bag.

When we moved from the UK to US, my husband (UKC) scanned all of his family photographs unto an external hard drive and "brought" them over that way. Now, as we get ready to move from the US back to the UK, I am going to scan all my family photographs onto that same hard drive and we'll bring the hard drive over with us in our carry-on. We divided up all the original photographs between our grown children (he has 6 and I have 3).
Old Apr 13th 2010, 8:58 pm
J.J
BE Enthusiast

J.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to all

Originally Posted by DDL
As Mummy pointed out so well, according to the rules I think photographs would be admissable in an M-bag.

When we moved from the UK to US, my husband (UKC) scanned all of his family photographs unto an external hard drive ).
I happened to be at the USPS office today, asked about M-bags, this one guy I spoke to is familiar with M-bags, says photo's would NOT be ok, paper, books, even CD's but not photos.
Would be useful to hear if any others of us get the same official opinion.

For scanning pics, did you use a regualr home color scanner ?
Old Apr 13th 2010, 9:13 pm
J.J
BE Enthusiast

J.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to all

Originally Posted by DDL
company quoted us $560 door-to-door (US to UK) on the equivalent of about 5 boxes,

Ditto DDL, upakweship stated to us $560 for 1-30 Cubic feet and $805 for 31-50 cubic feet from any US UPS store to door in UK, by sea, 5 - 6 weeks. $125 extra if they pick up from US door, $125 less if u can deliver to Charleston depot.
Individual boxes must be less than 50lb each and no dimension over 4 feet.
Old Apr 13th 2010, 11:40 pm
DDL

Originally Posted by J.J
I happened to be at the USPS office today, asked about M-bags, this one guy I spoke to is familiar with M-bags, says photo's would NOT be ok, paper, books, even CD's but not photos. Would be useful to hear if any others of us get the same official opinion.
Right. Interesting. Thanks for info. I will ask our P.O. next time I am there. Was at a small, local P.O. yesterday and the woman there didn't even have a clue what an M-bag was. She's probably earning $100K/year for that job.

Originally Posted by J.J
For scanning pics, did you use a regualr home color scanner ?
Yeppers. Time-consuming but worked for us.
Old Apr 13th 2010, 11:45 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
Right. Interesting. Thanks for info. I will ask our P.O. next time I am there. Was at a small, local P.O. yesterday and the woman there didn't even have a clue what an M-bag was. She's probably earning $100K/year for that job.

Yeppers. Time-consuming but worked for us.
Doesn't sound right does it, it says images on paper, well pictures are on picture paper, what about cards on card stock? How technical do they want to be
Luckily we have three small post offices with 30 minute drive I could drive to each till I get the answer I want and use that one.
Excess baggage is looking better and better
Old Apr 14th 2010, 2:13 am
J.J
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Doesn't sound right does it, it says images on paper, well pictures are on picture paper, what about cards on card stock? How technical do they want to be

IMO the difference falls into that Pictures are personal and there is exclusion that M-bags not used for personal correspondance, only for 'published' materials such as books, magazines and music.
Luckily we have three small post offices with 30 minute drive I could drive to each till I get the answer I want and use that one.

Excess baggage is looking better and better
Agreed , and they free deliver the free boxes and encorage customers to order more than they think they need (a 2nd delivery is not free) and they collect any unused ones when they pick up the shipment.
I requested a quote from them - will share when I get it.
This is all good info from you all, thanks, glad we can get on a roll with this, only got a few weeks here to get it sorted.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 2:14 am
DDL

Hey, good luck and let us know what you finally decide on. One thing is for sure: NO part of moving back to the UK is CHEAP!
Old Apr 14th 2010, 1:27 pm
J.J
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DDL
Hey, good luck and let us know what you finally decide on. One thing is for sure: NO part of moving back to the UK is CHEAP!
Hi all,
Excess baggage today quoted me 704 GBP for 38 cu ft = approx US$1056. This was a proffessional quote with all the details listed. They calculate per cu ft.

Compare to upakweship standard rate US$ 805 for range 31-50 cu ft + US$ 125 to pickup from my US door = US$930, Their response was a cut and paste email.

Both quotes door to door.

There will be insurance to add to both estimates.

Note Excess Baggage supply boxes for free and even their website seems more professional than upakweship. And excess Baggage is UK Co if you pref to buy British

Both companies responded quickly to my enquiries.

How to choose, I kinda lean towards Excess Baggage, they are member of number of Shipping Associations and their free boxes make up some of the price difference.
Old Apr 21st 2010, 2:06 pm
J.J
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by J.J
Hi all,
Excess baggage today quoted me 704 GBP for 38 cu ft = approx US$1056. This was a professional quote with all the details listed. They calculate per cu ft.

Compare to upakweship standard rate US$ 805 for range 31-50 cu ft + US$ 125 to pickup from my US door = US$930, Their response was a cut and paste email.

Both quotes door to door.

There will be insurance to add to both estimates.

Note Excess Baggage supply boxes for free Apr 21 2010 Update free boxes are if you are in the UK, they do not supply boxes if you are outside UK and even their website seems more professional than upakweship. And excess Baggage is UK Co if you pref to buy British

Both companies responded quickly to my enquiries.

How to choose, I kinda lean towards Excess Baggage, they are member of number of Shipping Associations and their free boxes make up some of the price difference.
See update in quoted text