Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Shipping back to UK---Help please

Shipping back to UK---Help please

Old Jun 30th 2005, 3:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Roger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Shipping back to UK---Help please

Good on you. I don't think I could face all that packing and unpacking malarkey. May be worth a look for the simple transport of the car a couple of months before we go. Do you know if Maersk do this?
Roger
Old Jul 4th 2005, 9:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Roger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the rough

Crown been on the phone and given me the first quotes:
- $2300 to move within Havelock North to our rental (a local company did this for $310 last year but there was no packing) until we move to the UK.
- $5000 for the Labrador. Dogtainers quoted $4300.
- $9400 for the 4x4 to Manchester with some effects inside.
- $16000 to pack and transport house contents and Nissan Micra to Manchester.

We used Manchester as a point as it is in the North. We do not know where we are going until we get there and find suitable employ. Not the South East again.

Ridiculous eh!
Roger
Old Jul 4th 2005, 8:32 pm

scottish is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Roger
Crown been on the phone and given me the first quotes:
- $2300 to move within Havelock North to our rental (a local company did this for $310 last year but there was no packing) until we move to the UK.
- $5000 for the Labrador. Dogtainers quoted $4300.
- $9400 for the 4x4 to Manchester with some effects inside.
- $16000 to pack and transport house contents and Nissan Micra to Manchester.

We used Manchester as a point as it is in the North. We do not know where we are going until we get there and find suitable employ. Not the South East again.

Ridiculous eh!
Roger
Rodger

Have you got a quote from Conroys yet??? They were the cheapest we could find and not one thing damaged - bloody amazing. The packing service was amazing as were the staff they sent.

If you are looking for places to move too why not Scotland??
Old Jul 5th 2005, 7:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Still waiting for Conroys quote. Think the Crown guy thought we were naive Poms.

Also had a quote for the car with Taurus Logistics for less than $4000 for the car in a personal 20 foot container. Thus will be able to get some stuff back to the Uk to set up a rental before the main bulk arrives.

We are thinking of Scotland. The wifes from Greenock but we quite fancy Inverness/Perth/Stirling. Her sister has just moved to Inverness. Depends where the jobs are though.
Roger
Old Jul 5th 2005, 5:56 pm
roamin in the gloamin

clydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond repute

Still waiting for Conroys quote. Think the Crown guy thought we were naive Poms.

Also had a quote for the car with Taurus Logistics for less than $4000 for the car in a personal 20 foot container. Thus will be able to get some stuff back to the Uk to set up a rental before the main bulk arrives.

We are thinking of Scotland. The wifes from Greenock but we quite fancy Inverness/Perth/Stirling. Her sister has just moved to Inverness. Depends where the jobs are though.
Roger
Good luck on your move back.I saw in the "tele" that they are going to close pediatrics in IRH at the end of this month,not without a fight though.My cousin works in that ward.Not many jobs in Greenock.all the best to you both.
Old Jul 6th 2005, 7:02 pm

Roger
Perth and Stirling are lovely... house prices on the up but not as bad as the South of england. Inverness is expensive but wow what a part of the country. If you fancy checking out weekly jobs try www.s1jobs.com (Glasgow Herald job section).

if you need any help give us a shout.
Old Dec 10th 2005, 5:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

If anyone is interested this is how much it cost me shipping NZ to UK:
Household goods in 20 foot container: $9000 plus $1000 insurance

Dog (Labrador) with Dogtainers: $4500 Still sunning herself in with friends in NZ as needs six months post rabies blood test for UK pet passport

Nissan X-trail:
Shipping in 20 foot container: $3500
Insurance: $500
Shipping Agent UK: £303
Customs agent: £125
Transport in UK: £170

Modifications - fog lights and speedo. Not done but imagine £200
VSA Test: £150. Not done

All the car importation bills arebuilding up and the paperwork and phone calling is a nightmare. Only do it if the car is worth the effort.

I thought I was getting there and looking forward to receiving my immaculate 2 year old, low mileage car. However received a call from my shipping agent telling me that a container fell from a crane onto my container at the docks and the roof was damaged. Little insurance claim I though.

Arrived this morning and looks like it has been karate chopped by the crane. Totally f.....d. Anyone need any spare parts for their X-Trail???

Roger
Old Dec 10th 2005, 7:23 pm

If anyone is interested this is how much it cost me shipping NZ to UK:
Household goods in 20 foot container: $9000 plus $1000 insurance

Dog (Labrador) with Dogtainers: $4500 Still sunning herself in with friends in NZ as needs six months post rabies blood test for UK pet passport

Nissan X-trail:
Shipping in 20 foot container: $3500
Insurance: $500
Shipping Agent UK: £303
Customs agent: £125
Transport in UK: £170

Modifications - fog lights and speedo. Not done but imagine £200
VSA Test: £150. Not done

All the car importation bills arebuilding up and the paperwork and phone calling is a nightmare. Only do it if the car is worth the effort.

I thought I was getting there and looking forward to receiving my immaculate 2 year old, low mileage car. However received a call from my shipping agent telling me that a container fell from a crane onto my container at the docks and the roof was damaged. Little insurance claim I though.

Arrived this morning and looks like it has been karate chopped by the crane. Totally f.....d. Anyone need any spare parts for their X-Trail???

Roger

Roger said hi on another thread but hi again lol

Are you still thinking of Scotland???
Old Dec 12th 2005, 8:44 am
fev
Just Joined

fev is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Roger
Paul and Heather from Nelson NZ here - now back in uk for 3 months. We shipped our goods over on our own and although everything arrived safely dealing with Maersk was a nightmare - still saved quite a few K's though. Brought over the Surf and Jeep which are now on the road, but my car still not on the road as I can't get a speedo fascia to get the car through the SVA test. ALso when I bought the car in Nelson the dealer put 4 brand new tyres on it - when we took the car for the SVA test they said we have to have the right rating tyres on for the retest - more money to spend - My car went roro via Kawasaki and I zeroed the speedo when I left it a NelsonPort and someone!!! has put over 123K on the clock between it leaving nelson and arriving in UK. Also left me a couple of Indonesian cassette tapes on the seat. The pets flew with George from Dogtainers and arrived in the uk in good condition. Spent 3 months in quarantine and have been home for 6 weeks now. Dog didn't seem too impressed to be home. I would really recommend that people get their pets rabies jabs in order - I really don't think that my dog could have survived 6 months in quarantine.
Anyway, that's my whinge over - hope you all settle back in okay and that the problems with your car get sorted out quickly. When does your dog fly back?
Paul and Fev
Old Dec 12th 2005, 2:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi,
Molly will be arriving end of January when she is able to go through the Pet Passport Scheme. She's enjoying the Kiwi Summer while I freeze in Hampshire (bad moving coming in December).

Chasing the insurers to sort the car out. Looks like it would cost £15K to replace in the Uk and only insured for £12k so hope they will pursue Tilbury Docks for the lot as they are liable.

Been back a week and, other than securing a job in Hereford, have been constantly wondering why I came back (I do know but the mind wanders). Probably related to the car being banged, the rental being banged, and the wife going straight to Scotland to her sick mother. I'm with the parents being treated like a sixteen year old.

Also kicking my impatience as the currency is much better now and I changed in August. Remind me never to read financial pages warning of the Kiwis imminent slide again.

Scottish - you're still keeping an eye on the Forum. Why? Not planning to go back
Roger
Old Dec 12th 2005, 6:18 pm

Scottish - you're still keeping an eye on the Forum. Why? Not planning to go back
Roger
Christ no Roger haha... still get pms from peeps so keep my hand in so to speak. Dont have as much time as before.

Miss things about the place but not enough to go back unless for a holiday, but saying that what it would cost me to holiday there I could get tons of hols in Europe and the states.

I actually cant believe we are back nearly a year, where the hell has the year gone.

See ya

ps I hope your wife has packed thermals for Scotland its bloody freezing (but we have central heating )
Old Dec 14th 2005, 8:53 am
Sparking like champagne!

Jansz is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: Shipping back to UK---Help please

Hi, hope you dont mind me butting in here, cos i am going back to the Uk from OZ, not NZ, but am dealing with all the same issues. I am taking my RAV4 back cos it is low mileage and cheaper than replacing it in UK. I am also taking 3 dogs (excessive I know) and a couple of cockatiels. I am waiting for the 6 months to expire for the pet passport and hope to sell the house in order to fit in with going back in the spring or early summer. I have not yet got exact quotes except for the car (and animals) as I hope to send it over early to arrive when I do, but am interested in packing myself if possible. I dont mind packing the boxes (I've had lots of practise) but do we pack the container or does the removalist that takes the furniture and boxes to the container pack it? i hadn't even realised you could pack yourself. It sounds like it would save a few k's. Also with the car, how do you do the paperwork yourself and send it?

Sorry if I sound a bit thick but when I came out 15 years ago I just bought some suitcases with me!
Old Dec 14th 2005, 7:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Always21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jansz
Hi, hope you dont mind me butting in here, cos i am going back to the Uk from OZ, not NZ, but am dealing with all the same issues. I am taking my RAV4 back cos it is low mileage and cheaper than replacing it in UK. I am also taking 3 dogs (excessive I know) and a couple of cockatiels. I am waiting for the 6 months to expire for the pet passport and hope to sell the house in order to fit in with going back in the spring or early summer. I have not yet got exact quotes except for the car (and animals) as I hope to send it over early to arrive when I do, but am interested in packing myself if possible. I dont mind packing the boxes (I've had lots of practise) but do we pack the container or does the removalist that takes the furniture and boxes to the container pack it? i hadn't even realised you could pack yourself. It sounds like it would save a few k's. Also with the car, how do you do the paperwork yourself and send it?

Sorry if I sound a bit thick but when I came out 15 years ago I just bought some suitcases with me!

Don't apologise; this is the place to ask questions.

I can't answer everything but you have a choice as to whether or not you pack the container yourself or not. It is cheaper to pack yourself but you will pay more for insurance or may not be able to get the same level of coverage. Others will know more I'm sure.

I am interested to read you are taking cockatiels back. Just yesterday I downloaded DEFRA's document about importing pet birds back to the UK. As far as I understand, all you have to do is get the bird inspected in the country of origin, get the license from DEFRA, and get the bird inspected twice during a 35 day quarantine in the UK. Do you know if there's anything else that has to be done?
Old Dec 14th 2005, 10:15 pm
Sparking like champagne!

Jansz is on a distinguished road
Post Re: Shipping back to UK---Help please

I am interested to read you are taking cockatiels back. Just yesterday I downloaded DEFRA's document about importing pet birds back to the UK. As far as I understand, all you have to do is get the bird inspected in the country of origin, get the license from DEFRA, and get the bird inspected twice during a 35 day quarantine in the UK. Do you know if there's anything else that has to be done?[/QUOTE]

The licence from the uk needs to be obtained in the 6 months before you take the birds, you need Australian paperwork of course, appropriate caging/container and they must travel on the same plane as you do. When they get to the uk they must be in one place as quarantine, but this can be in a private house, however you need permission to move them. They must be inspected by a DEFRA vet within a certain time (24 hrs I think) and need to be tested for psittacosis which you may know birds can carry, and if positive need antibiotics for 6 weeks, either a weekly injection or in the water for 6 weeks (I know mine have had this), they then need to be checked by the DEFRA vet at the end of the quar period. You can either organise things yourself, or jetpet or dogtainers will do it for you. I can take them to my approved vet and do the paperwork myself for dogs and birds and much cheaper, but not sure about how to get the containers if I do it this way, also a bit more stressful I think. You probably know most of this already. I will be starting to set it all in motion in Jan/Feb, so if anyone knows more please let us know. I am told birds travel pretty well.

Hope this helps
Old Dec 15th 2005, 5:33 pm
Forum Regular

Brucey is just really niceBrucey is just really niceBrucey is just really niceBrucey is just really niceBrucey is just really niceBrucey is just really niceBrucey is just really niceBrucey is just really nice

Hi Jansz

We are in the same boat as you(ie going back with two dogs, a 4X4 and about a 20ft container). Waiting for dogs to be rabies free,ie 6 months). Dont mean to be nosey but who are you using to transfer the Rav 4 and the dogs and how moch is it costing. Haven't got a clue where to start all this again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.