British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Settling in the UK. I have questions. But do you have the answers? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/settling-uk-i-have-questions-but-do-you-have-answers-38870/)

Icec Jul 23rd 2001 10:37 am

Hi All,

Sorry that this maybe in the wrong newsgroup, but I couldn't find a newsgroup which
dealt with UK immigration, and immigrating to the UK.

I have a few questions to anyone who knows anything about the forms IM2A and
IM2B. These are the forms needed to be filled in for settlement to the UK.

My Girlfriend is American and I am British. We are planning on getting engaged soon
(maybe already have by the time your reading this). We would like her to move over to
Britain as soon as possible. We have known one another for 3 years now and are
getting fed up with the distance thing, hell!, we just want to be together! :)

We would like to hear from anyone who's used the settlement form (and entry clearance
form) to establish fiancé(e) status.

We are confused on some of the meanings of the questions and would like the benefit
of experience of fellow Distance / Internet relationship'ers.

My Girlfriend as a few questions upfront. She wants to know:

1. At the Interview (in Chicago) do they interview a couple or do they take you in
separately?

2. Question B4 on form IM2B `Application for settlement`. Is the sponsor `Settled` in
the UK? Is this question asking if the sponsor was also settled in the UK, or is
it asking if he was born (or lives) in the UK permanently?

3. Question B17 - What will be the monthly income of the household when you arrive in
the UK? We intend on staying with my parents for a short time, so does this mean
how much my parents households income is? including benefits as well?

Anyway, I hope anyone or someone can help. I'd be also very grateful if people who
have gone through this path of settling in the UK with an American citizen would
get in touch.

Gavin.

Rete Jul 23rd 2001 11:45 am

Try misc.immigration.misc. If you go to britishexpats.com you can post through their newsgroup forum and perhaps get first hand information.

Rita

Ladiegrey Jul 23rd 2001 12:39 pm

Dear Gavin, my hubby is from the UK and we are here in USA., i dont know anything
about US. to UK. but would like you to keep our email to keep us updated if you will,
as we'd like to hear how this is accomplished ..... regards*

Alex Jul 23rd 2001 4:58 pm

Hi it was 3 years ago now that my wife came over from the USA she came over on a
fiancee so we had to get married with in 6 month at the time i was living with my
mother and i earned 9000 a year from what i can rember all they want to know is that
she had some where to live (my morther wrote a letter saying that they could live in
her house )and that i was working she did not even have an interveiw all they seem to
want is the money for the visas(my wife allso had a daugther with her not mind ) as
it was 3 years ago i can not rember ever thing we sent but it was things like photos
of us togather in the USA and UK (and me with her family ) a letter from the registy
office with the date and time that we were going to get married old plane tickets
stubs phone bills with her number to show that we talk all the time and her passport
and her daughters passport

onces we sent all the stuff with the money order she got every thing back with in 2
weeks she paniced when it arvied because it was so quick and thougth we had been
rejected till she looked in the passports and saw the visa

she did not have a medical or have to get a police check done or have a interveiw

we could not belive it was so easy all they seemed to want was the money alex

Ella Jul 25th 2001 6:11 pm

I'm an American who moved from US to UK but as a spouse not a finace. I was married
in the UK and then returned to the US to make my application.

They want to know that *you* have permanent residence status, they want to know
that there are sufficient funds so that your fiance does not have any need for
public funds.

If you are married then you do not have to go through an interview. I just filled
out paperwork, sent money and waited. It was quite a simple process for me to go the
UK. (I don't know if the 'easiness' had to do with the fact that I have a
post-graduate degree and had been fairly successful in my field and had a job
prospect. I do know that it is a hell of a lot harder for UK to US and we are going
through that process now).

If you consider marrying in advance in the UK and await for your wife to return to
join you in the UK, she could begin working immediately. All of my dealings with the
British Embassy in the US and in the UK were very straightforward and efficient
(estimated time to receive my inital visa was 1 month and estimated time for
receiving my permanent stamp or 'leave to remain' stamp was 2-3 weeks).

Hope that helps some.

Ella (US then UK then US again)

"IceC" <[email protected]>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >