Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Settling back in the UK after spending most of your life abroad

Settling back in the UK after spending most of your life abroad

Old May 23rd 2017, 6:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Settling back in the UK after spending most of your life abroad

Originally Posted by morpeth
Thanks, I just asked the same question at a local employer. My oldest son I have been discussing his moving back to the North East. He spent summers in Northumberland growing up but been away for a while now. Comparing the life he could have in Northumberland vs his life in USA, he would have a better quality of life in Northumberland with exception of the price of a decent home.
In 2013 we spent a few nights in a farmhouse b&b near Twice Brewed with our son, and on the drive back to N Yorks we went via B roads through some of the villages, and he said that he would love to live in a small place in Northumberland or North Yorkshire. (He was born in Middlesbrough)
Old May 24th 2017, 12:21 am
Forum Regular

Celticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Scottish banknotes aren't legal tender, even in Scotland. Curiously Bank of England banknotes aren't legal tender in Scotland either!

The Scottish and Irish banks treat their own banknotes as a marketing overhead as there is no purely financial imperative for them to issue their own banknotes, and they can only issues notes backed 100% by a matching deposit with the Bank of England, otherwise Scottish and Irish banknotes would increase the money supply, but the deposit with the Bank of England takes the same amount of money out of circulation.

Why are you concerned, and why do you need more than a few anyway?

You usually get half-decent notes from a cash point because ratty notes might jam the mechanism.

I use very little cash, and if it wasn't for pocket money for my daughter I could survive on $20 for three months in the US, and most of that would go on small tips. I would bet that £20 would last me six months in the UK.
Huh, what a marvellously complicated money system Britain has! No notes are legal tender, yet they are usually accepted as payment.

I got my notes from a money exchange place, so with 1-2 exceptions they're what people had left over after a trip to the UK, so are in well used condition. I am worried that they may not be in good enough nick to be accepted, though I suppose they wouldn't have been given to me if they were in too poor condition. I have £320 so it's a fair amount of money.
Old May 24th 2017, 3:38 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celticprince_86
Huh, what a marvellously complicated money system Britain has! No notes are legal tender, yet they are usually accepted as payment.

I got my notes from a money exchange place, so with 1-2 exceptions they're what people had left over after a trip to the UK, so are in well used condition. I am worried that they may not be in good enough nick to be accepted, though I suppose they wouldn't have been given to me if they were in too poor condition. I have £320 so it's a fair amount of money.
It is unlikely that they are too worn to be used - there are some pretty trashy notes in circulation in the UK, but if you are worried that they are too worn to be accepted you should be able to exchange them at any bank. Certainly having writing on them isn't at all unusual and in no way invalidates them.
Old May 24th 2017, 4:41 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure I'd call £320 a 'fair amount'

Did you buy a return ticket to the UK? What are your plans financially? £320 will not go far.
Old May 24th 2017, 4:59 am
Forum Regular

Celticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Not sure I'd call £320 a 'fair amount'
Well revatively speaking of course -compared to a tenner and some change.

Did you buy a return ticket to the UK? What are your plans financially? £320 will not go far.
Nope, one way, NZ-UK. My plan is to have a job and accommodation sorted between now & Nov 23rd.

Originally Posted by Pulaski
It is unlikely that they are too worn to be used - there are some pretty trashy notes in circulation in the UK, but if you are worried that they are too worn to be accepted you should be able to exchange them at any bank. Certainly having writing on them isn't at all unusual and in no way invalidates them.
Thanks, that's what i thought, but I am trying to make sure everything goes off without a hitch. Not leaving things to the last minute etc. They're probably fine, and I'm just being over cautious.

Last edited by Celticprince_86; May 24th 2017 at 5:02 am.
Old May 24th 2017, 5:08 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

...Nope, one way, NZ-UK. My plan is to have a job and accommodation sorted between now & Nov 23rd....
What do you do for a living? Oh, and what area are you headed to? You must have family in the UK - will they be able to help initially? I know a few recruiters in the UK but all down South. If it helps, I can put you in touch.
Old May 24th 2017, 6:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by durham_lad
In 2013 we spent a few nights in a farmhouse b&b near Twice Brewed with our son, and on the drive back to N Yorks we went via B roads through some of the villages, and he said that he would love to live in a small place in Northumberland or North Yorkshire. (He was born in Middlesbrough)
So much to do in Northumberland, and now so many direct flights from Newcastle compared to years past; easy, and affordable, to visit Europe as well. Work environment seems much less stressful and pressure than US. Of course more reasonable social benefits than the US.
Old May 24th 2017, 7:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

I've just been looking at this myself as our son moved to the US when he was 4 and now in his 30's is moving back in October. Since we have a Jobs Centre Plus on the high street I even walked in and asked about it.

As the others said, you have to be a UK resident to apply for a NINO but not having one doesn't prevent you from applying for a job.
The other thing that impresses me for a young person moving back to the UK is the various ways of investing. ISA's have higher limits than US IRA accounts, and the peer to peer lending sites have a few that offer a decent return on extra cash one wants to earn interest on, and a lot simpler to use and set up than my experience in USA. Over time it seems easier to build up savings in UK ( whether it happens for most of course another matter).
Old May 24th 2017, 7:24 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morpeth
The other thing that impresses me for a young person moving back to the UK is the various ways of investing. ISA's have higher limits than US IRA accounts, and the peer to peer lending sites have a few that offer a decent return on extra cash one wants to earn interest on, and a lot simpler to use and set up than my experience in USA. Over time it seems easier to build up savings in UK ( whether it happens for most of course another matter).
I've been impressed with ISA's and their ease of use with no penalties or time limits on withdrawals. (We both have cash ISAs) These days the first £1,000 of interest in non-ISA accounts is also tax free.
Old May 24th 2017, 4:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

I now have £320 in mostly "well worn" 20's which cost me $622. Not a bad exchange rate, but I would have liked more.
Have you got any fivers? The old paper fivers ceased to be legal tender a couple of weeks ago, only the new plastic ones (with a clear window like NZ$) are legal now.
Old May 24th 2017, 5:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yellowroom
Have you got any fivers? The old paper fivers ceased to be legal tender a couple of weeks ago, only the new plastic ones (with a clear window like NZ$) are legal now.
Banks will exchange them for the new notes.
Old May 24th 2017, 5:21 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Banks will exchange them for the new notes.
Banks will exchange any note that was once legal tender for a new note(s) of equivalent value. In some cases the notes may need to be sent to the Bank of England for inspection before the value is paid out.

That said, at some point most old notes will have more value to collectors than their face value.
Old May 24th 2017, 8:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I've been impressed with ISA's and their ease of use with no penalties or time limits on withdrawals. (We both have cash ISAs) These days the first £1,000 of interest in non-ISA accounts is also tax free.
There is also one for young people or first time home buyers, that gives a free bonus o be used towards purchase of a house. Quite creative. Might help a bit in North East but drop in the bucket down south.
Old May 24th 2017, 10:40 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by yellowroom
Nah, only twenties, I don't think they're likely to have any of the new fivers, and probably wouldn't give anyone the old ones.
Old May 24th 2017, 10:42 pm
Forum Regular

What do you do for a living? Oh, and what area are you headed to? You must have family in the UK - will they be able to help initially? I know a few recruiters in the UK but all down South. If it helps, I can put you in touch.
At the momment I'm in casual on-call employment as a a relief staff -mainly cleaning/room servicing at a hostel. I plan on moving to the Chester area and want to get a job in tourism/hospitality.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.